rated by 0 users
This post has 99 Replies | 4 Followers

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:44 PM

I think the wikis came as part of the upgrade and very little thought (except for Keith!) has gone into this. Personally, I think an updated dynamic database would be better but I am perhaps a bit out of touch these days! Smile

Peter

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:
But in my opinion, wikies are ideal for all these frequently asked Qes.

There is a FAQ, probably equally unknown as the Wikis.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

It has changed, and it hasn't.

I think criticism has increased. Good and bad. Bullying by some at some point increased. 

For my part it's mostly that I'm very happy with my B&O at the moment, although I wouldn't mind a re-designed Encore. 

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

I haven't really had time to be on Beoworld either. My summers are hectic to say the least, and my biggest hobby at the moment, watches takes way more time than B&O.

Always nice to pop in every now and then.

The wednesday thread was fun! I say "was" because everything gets boring. I haven't been on WED© for 6 months I think. I used to be a regular.

Too long to list.... 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 9:38 PM
If I've lost my mojo then it must be I'm on monopause....

I can't say what Beoworld was like but I get a lot of enjoyment out of the threads both on new and old tech...

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 4:02 PM

Jonathan:

vikinger:

... the isolation of the Wednesday thread has reduced it to a handful of regulars making occasional posts as they go about their other Wednesday night interests.

The problem with the wednesday thread is that those regulars are too regular. It's very difficult to join in and really feel included as the wednesday people have their own jokes and almost their own 'language'

They let me in.  If they'll have me, they'll have anybody.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 4:03 PM

Søren Mexico:

As a non English speaker, I have been there a couple of times, but you will have to have English as your natural language, if not you are lost there.

Mika for one will disagree.

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 6:48 PM

I find that the forum seems to be more about the newer equipment now. It seems to be all wireless and apple stuff, and how to link up a whole house to some internet based server thingymajig. Ive no problem with this as these are the current products but its not where my interests lay (because I cant afford them!) 

It used to be more of an enthusiast forum in which the older equipment was posted about as often as the newer stuff but now it seems to be more of a users forum of the current products. I know there is the vintage section but it depresses me when I see people posting about Ouvertures and BC9500's in it because I still think of anything with powerlink or active speakers as being new fangled things.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 7:21 PM

Don't worry too much - my new fangled MCL system is on the blink so I am relying on my Beolab 5000 system and Beolit 700 at present!! Big Smile

Peter

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,670
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 7:47 PM

mojo? lost mojo? has it become just..............

"a country for old man"?

times change, people change, interest change, technics change........... some changes you like some you don't, so be it.

this is why Beoworld will and must change also.............

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

Well the lack of more personal experience once in a while is in my mind missing here.

I noticed this years back and did my own thread about my B&O virus when it was at the highest priority 2008 and forward for some years.

With that I build quite a following even for a Danish forum only and it is simply dare I say it rather unique since nobody else is doing their B&O virus like that online anywhere. Type in your favorite B&O in Google and you do get product sides, a lot of for sale, problems and the few personal experience is on youtube if it is there. 

It is mostly sales and  problems but the threads by Leslie and so forth who brings something interesting to the forum to me.

I am more or less by default old school but I am happy. As long as Dillen can service it it does not matter if it is from 1981 or 1991.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 8:04 PM

Still don't know what "Mojo" means. It's a pitty though that not well english speaking members can not mingle in these kind of discussions. I'm sure they have things to say but in some cases it can be misunderstood. Speaking in your own native language is easier then (or than?) constantly trying to translate and searching for the right words.

Brengen & Ophalen

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 8:11 PM

Leslie "mojo" I believe is an American word meaning Magic Charm, Talisman or Spell.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

Mojo means magic? That is how I understand it.

No it is the same as always. Going up down. Sometimes towards this or that but it is hard to really answer many of the threads even if you wanted to.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Bronze Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 8:12 PM

Leslie:

Still don't know what "Mojo" means. It's a pitty though that not well english speaking members can not mingle in these kind of discussions. I'm sure they have things to say but in some cases it can be misunderstood. Speaking in your own native language is easier then (or than?) constantly trying to translate and searching for the right words.

Lifted from another website:

The word “mojo” derives from an African language and relates to magic and spells to generate luck and power. In today’s language, the word still refers to a  source of vigor, energy, sexual potency and power. An entire Austin Powers movie was devoted to his lost mojo and his desperate search to find it. He ultimately discovers his mojo is within, and that he had access to it all along. Groovy baby.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 8:24 PM

I thought the word was referring to the Bárðarbunga volcano in Iceland who erupted lately and lost his mojo, but thats offcourse silly of me.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 9:20 PM

The Urban Dictionary is probably the best source of slang usage of a word especially American English.

The word originally means a charm or a spell. But now its more commonly said meaning sex appeal or talent.
"I can get any girl if I just use a bit of the old mojo" 

"Man, that girl has MOJO!" 

"God help me, I think I've lost my mojo!"
Soren was correct about it's usage in the Spanish speaking countries.
I have been a member of Beoworld for many years and it has changed but I still like it.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,599
Bronze Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raP9uVHgfcA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Sticking with the theme,  Jim Morrison:  Mr. MOJO Risin'    (2 points if you noticed the anagram)

Flappo The Grate
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Quite Agree...

Not unlike bno , this forum is well past it's sell by date

It was grate fun about c.8 years ago when they were both vaguely relevant , now Apple have cornered the market in design led tech for the well heeled home , bno have nowhere to go but the (s)crap yard , their new designs are mostly horrible rehashes and their tech ideas are pathetic , since david lewis passed on they seem to have lost the plot. Design wise , god help us.

My bv11 is a huge disappointment after the avant , last bno tv I will ever buy. Terrible viewing angles , sky hd audio problems , awful motion handling and a dust magnet to boot , plus it's not very well made. Wish I'd bought a Sony like all my other tvs , none of which have any issues at all

Sorry if I annoyed you Jeff , fortunately I couldn't care less what you think Stick out tongue

See ya !

PS Hope moxxey's having fun watching his issue laden avant ( the one that won't support HEVC ) with ALL that amazing 4k content !!!  Devil

Dude1
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Dude1 replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 9:49 AM

I'm bored.....

zzzzzz

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,215
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 9:57 AM

Flappo The Grate:

Quite Agree...

Not unlike bno , this forum is well past it's sell by date

It was grate fun about c.8 years ago when they were both vaguely relevant , now Apple have cornered the market in design led tech for the well heeled home , bno have nowhere to go but the (s)crap yard , their new designs are mostly horrible rehashes and their tech ideas are pathetic , since david lewis passed on they seem to have lost the plot. Design wise , god help us.

My bv11 is a huge disappointment after the avant , last bno tv I will ever buy. Terrible viewing angles , sky hd audio problems , awful motion handling and a dust magnet to boot , plus it's not very well made. Wish I'd bought a Sony like all my other tvs , none of which have any issues at all

Sorry if I annoyed you Jeff , fortunately I couldn't care less what you think Stick out tongue

See ya !

PS Hope moxxey's having fun watching his issue laden avant ( the one that won't support HEVC ) with ALL that amazing 4k content !!!  Devil

14 words on topic, over 160 words off topic.

Thank you. 

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,623
Bronze Member

I wonder why Flappo has only 4 posts on his counter??? Had he (finally) been banned and he comes back with a new account?

I really wonder why someone who's constantly so rude, who ruins every thread he joins and whose posts have never brought anything to anyone is still allowed here.

Many of the good people on this forum have left because of the bad karma he spreads in all his posts.

As some of you may know I develop the forum's app, and I was really tempted to build a flappo-filter, so I could enjoy a flappo-free forum.

p.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,599
Bronze Member

I guess it's a 'new old' Flappo - or his twin.

I am for the 'Flappo-filter' Yes - thumbs up

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,375
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 1:04 PM
Please don't make a flappo filter, I love this guy, he makes me feel smarter.

He is the black side of beoworld. Remember the "smart" boy in the back of the classroom, sometimes he said something funny, the rest of the time he looked stupid and boring.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,599
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

I am for the 'Flappo-filter' Yes - thumbs up

MM

Oh wait - maybe I am the next in line Crying

MM

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:05 PM

Firstly some of you guys are as 'bad' as Flappo for gossiping and bad mouthing the guy. The guy has spent a lot, in fact an incredible amount of money on a BV11 as sadly it under performs which does happen with a lot of B&O products due to their high profit margins.

To me, it is very evident that a lot of bullying goes on, on this site if someone 'dares' to criticise this brand. We are talking humans bullying another human in the name of a product, a dead product that has never lived, never will and indeed will be in the garbage tip in a few years or months (A3 comes to mind here).

The narrow mindedness on this site is quite revolting at times. I noticed yesterday that BOSE where being pulled apart on a BeoLit12 page by people who have never used pro BOSE such as Bose802 which have been an outdoor broadcast grade speaker for over 40 years now. The same page where people praised the BeoLit12 which in the majority of cases won't even connect to AirPlay as yet B&O seriously couldn't care a damn as long as they sell the 'thing' to unsuspecting fools.

Bullying is wrong on any forum, and the last few posts are pure bullying and bad mouthing. Quite frankly, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. You're just a bad as each other!

I have / had many B&O products such as the A8 Airplay, Century, DVD1, BV6 etc but I have an open mind. I enjoy the performance of many other brands out there. In i'd stuck with B&O, i'd never of had the pleasure of using MiniDisc in the 90s, CDR recorders, DJ equipment, mixing etc.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,623
Bronze Member
To be clearer, I have absolutely no problem with anyone expressing their opinion on the forum and as an apple fan myself I would often agree with flappo's opinion, but his constant use of rude language, and aggressive behaviour is a problem.

He admits himself he loves winding people up, saying that otherwise this place would be boring. Well I didn't sign up for that.

And that is the only problem I have with this otherwise fantastic place.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Gold Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:42 PM

PhilLondon:

I wonder why Flappo has only 4 posts on his counter??? Had he (finally) been banned and he comes back with a new account?

Yep - new account, same old Flappo. And his loyal partner, Paul, to defend him. Some things never change.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:44 PM

I agree with Phil - there are posting guidelines on this site to try to prevent bullying and the moderators try to keep such incidents under control. We have always had a small vocal minority who seem intent on badmouthing both products and other members. The former we can put up with as it can be justified - the Beolit 12, I agree, comes to mind. The latter however is not tolerated and action is reluctantly taken in these cases after discussion in the moderating team.

Peter

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Bronze Member

Paul W:

...............a dead product that has never lived, never will and indeed will be in the garbage tip in a few years or months (A3 comes to mind here).

Completely wrong Paul. One of B&O's best value products ever, turning the iPad into a mini television with excellent audio. B&O seemed to drop the production prematurely with the advent of the iPad lightning connector, but the reality was that the 30pin iPad remained in production in parallel. So it wasn't a poor product destined for the garbage, it was just a marketing mistake by B&O to curtail production prematurely.

Graham

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,375
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 3:42 PM
vikinger:

Completely wrong Paul. One of B&O's best value products ever, turning the iPad into a mini television with excellent audio. B&O seemed to drop the production prematurely with the advent of the iPad lightening connector, but the reality was that the 30pin iPad remained in production in parallel. So it wasn't a poor product destined for the garbage, it was just a marketing mistake by B&O to curtail production prematurely.

Graham

He should read the thread "what is for you your best b&o purchase", the a3 is in a good position.

It is my best b&o purchase. i use it now and without it my ipad feels naked.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 5:22 PM

Steffen:

PhilLondon:

Yep - new account, same old Flappo. And his loyal partner, Paul, to defend him. Some things never change.

Instead of a Dynamic Duo, more of a Paralyzed Pair...

People like this tend to do more harm to a forum than any amusement factor can compensate for. As for why they do it? A wise man I once knew, when we were discussing a particularly vile audio forum loaded with obnoxious people, said you have to remember, one person's tedious diatribe is another person's social life.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

The thing that puts me of is how he spells the brand name. You lost me for good there!

Nick
Top 150 Contributor
Nottingham
Posts 785
Bronze Member
Nick replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 10:48 PM

I still visit Beoworld everyday, more a reader than a writer.  I found that (in my opinion) never was the same since the move to the new format, i got tired of bullying, thread highjacking & arguing from people that probably had no or very little Bang & Olufsen. The amount you have has no emphasis on anything really, but I love the brand, the feel, the integration with other media and owning the products gives these experiences.  Yeah they may not be at the forefront of technology but the market moves to fast for B&O to keep up, you can buy a great tv for less than a tenth of the price of a avant.  that is possibly better spec'd??  I cannot see myself moving to another brand, I still have the passion, if you buy a tv purely on its specs then your missing the point to start with.

I have posted questions in the past and they end up with no answers and drop off into darkness, thats an indicator of numbers.  That would have never happened before! the forum has a more negative feel than it used to, without the old helpful bunch.  But hey times move on!!

Sorry for the rant, I'm off to enjoy some B&O

Jonathan
Top 75 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 1,811
Bronze Member

Honestly, I still find Beoworld to be a rich resource. Currently I'm not a paid member, as I let it slip. I've been toying with renewing, as the site deserves paying members due to its content, and the fact that it has generally been a forum that was more product focused rather than bitchy.

BUT, lately I feel that there are a vocal minority that have a negative opinion to every new product released. The same people whinge about B&O and everything they try to do. I honestly don't get this! This is an enthusiasts site that has a very narrow focus, not a general hifi site. 

If you don't like B&O products, or the way their marketed or sold, or have no intention of ever owning B&O.. then why are you here??? Are you just here to annoy those who want to be here and want to be positive about a brand they love? If that's the case, then go and waste your time elsewhere instead of trying to drag everyone else down.

Beoworld hasn't lost its mojo, it's just unfortunate that there are people here with nothing better to do than constantly whinge and try to bring everyone down. It's funny that when they're called out on it this is deemed as bullying!

x:________________________

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,599
Bronze Member

Trying to be positive and to focus on the many positive posts and enthusiasts on the forum helps a lot.

When things get too tough, I am sure the moderators can handle it.

MM

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

If the website just ends up with people saying "WOW thats brilliant", for fear of being labelled negative etc, then it definitely would have lost its Mojo. I want peoples opinions, positive or otherwise.

I do my fair share of moaning about products i don't like, or that don't come up to muster. And as quite a regular customer and a human being with an opinion, i feel quite qualified to do so. 

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Tue, Sep 2 2014 12:00 PM

Exactly my words Chris!

Brengen & Ophalen

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Gold Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Sep 2 2014 12:54 PM

I have tried saying what I think in the past.

It proved to be a bad idea.

--mika

Page 2 of 3 (100 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL