Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

The new Beoplay S8... Not sure what to say.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 140 Replies | 4 Followers

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
374 Posts
Bronze Member
Rob - Danish AV posted on Thu, Aug 21 2014 9:36 AM

So I have just seen on Facebook via the Beoplay page.. The new S8 speaker system...

it it looks like a Beolab 14 with 2 speakers and a sub!

http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplays8

i'll let everyone give their thoughts on this but I don't really know what to say about it!

All Replies

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
333 Posts
Bronze Member

AnalogPlanet:

...ummm, almost three months after the product launch - there is still no single review to be found?

Is nobody buying it or nobody thinks Beoplay S8 review would be interesting to the general audience? I find it odd, honestly. Huh?

Mr_Ander_son has bough a set - I think the pictures are in the Flash your B&O thread

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

pnewelljr
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

fowwiee:

For those who is wondering.

I can confirm that there is at least 5 active amps in the beoplay S8.

I got two set of beoplay S8 therefore just for fun, I hooked up 4 speakers to one of the subwoofers.

Two speakers as front, and two speakers as rear, connected as a 4.1 system. I can confirm that the system does not block any channel. All 4 speakers works. 

F

Leosgonewild:

I spoke with my dealer. And they confirm that the S8 does not have a full set of amplifiers. It only has 3 (one for the sub and two for the satelites).

They had tried to connect 5 speakers to it, and it does not work.

Then how the heck did he do it? Very strange

pnewelljr
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

And BEOCET in the Flash your B&O thread said the same.

BEOCET:

All amps are active, tested it yesterday. The inputs are not blocked. Sounds fantastic.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/227.aspx?PageIndex=35

I'm hopeful yet

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,110 Posts
Bronze Member
My guess would be that they where early produced units.

Might be that some comes with full sets of amps, but one should be careful about purchasing it thinking it has full set.

Of course you are lucky if you get a unit with full set, but remember that you are paying for 2.1. You can return or complain if it doesn't support 5.1.
pnewelljr
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your advice, I'll wait is out until there is more confirmation of the situation.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,554 Posts
Gold Member

Could you use the S8 with the wireless transmitter 1 effectively acting as a Subwoofer at the back of the room with the 2 speakers as rear speakers (without having a lead all the way to the TV)

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,110 Posts
Bronze Member

Has anybody purchased the Beoplay S8 lately, and are able to test if they have it with 2, 4, or 5 amplifiers?

Going to purchase them for surround use, and concidering to buy two Beoplay S8 instead of a Beoplay 14 4.1

2 subs are better than 1 :P

Mogelmose
Top 500 Contributor
88 Posts
Bronze Member

leosgonewild:

Has anybody purchased the Beoplay S8 lately, and are able to test if they have it with 2, 4, or 5 amplifiers?

Going to purchase them for surround use, and concidering to buy two Beoplay S8 instead of a Beoplay 14 4.1

2 subs are better than 1 :P

So? How did it go?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,110 Posts
Bronze Member

I ended up taking home the demo-unit from the store. From my testing, it had at least 2 front and 2 rear amps. Wasn´t able to test if the 5th amp was there.

I did not buy it, as my BV7-40 is a mk2, and it is not possible to adjust bass when using a digital source. I had to go to Tv in order to adjust the bass. It is only possible to adjust the picture settings when in a digital source.

Also, I did not like the sound of the S8. 

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
I'm a huge fan of the S8

It's a great bargain in my opinion.

I think the sound is rather good.

I have one in my master bedroom with a bv11-46. It sounds perfect for my taste.

It's very full and to me has alter appropriate

Sound reproduction for its class.

I recommend them regularly. In fact, I bought my parents a set for Christmas.

Probably the best bargain in the range I think.
Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
374 Posts
Bronze Member

So I created this thread with a mixed view on this speaker, more the fact it was a copy of the main Bang & Olufsen Beolab 14.

a month ago I bought one on a promotion, and haven't looked back, it's connected to a Sony LCD TV and the difference is incredible.  The woofer provides the right mount of punch and the 2 speakers have a very good level of clarity.

for the price it's a great system!

ilPadrino
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

How is it connected to the tv?

Directly or via amplifier?

sid24
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) sid24 replied on Sun, Sep 13 2015 4:55 AM
Suggested by sid24

Hi, so I recently demoed both s8 and beolab 14 4.1 and found the that the 4.1 setup would be ideal for my requirements. The price difference between them however is huge. I could buy two s8s and an amplifier and it would still be cheaper than buying beolab14.

Firstly, would this setup be possible? That is 4.2 setup using front otput of the amplifier for one of the s8 and surround output for the other s8. I am not sire if this is possible though. Could anyone suggest the ports of the s8 and amplifier that would be used if thus is possible.

secondly, would there be a difference in surround sound quality? Whether the same immersive experience woukd be created?

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Poli
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
Poli replied on Fri, Oct 2 2015 4:27 AM

Has anyone tested the D-SUB DB15 (VGA like)  input? If it is indeed just a rebranded and recolored version of the BL14, it should work from with an output from regular red-and-black speaker channels from an AVR.

Related to that, but not in the best of the topic: anyone has the schematics of the D-SUB cable?

Thanks!

Calles_Advice
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

I would just like to inform you S8 owners out there without a B&O TV. They have now launched a connection hub to the beoplay s8 system with a total of three connections where one is optical for your TV. I have been waiting a long time for this product and have contacted them about it in several emails. It is priced at EUR 149 / USD 199 / DKK 999 which is a fair price for a DAC, but in my opinion should be included in the price.  http://www.beoplay.com/landingpages/accessories/s8

Page 8 of 10 (141 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL