Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

The new Beoplay S8... Not sure what to say.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 140 Replies | 4 Followers

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
371 Posts
Gold Member
Rob - Danish AV posted on Thu, Aug 21 2014 9:36 AM

So I have just seen on Facebook via the Beoplay page.. The new S8 speaker system...

it it looks like a Beolab 14 with 2 speakers and a sub!

http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplays8

i'll let everyone give their thoughts on this but I don't really know what to say about it!

All Replies

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
3,607 Posts
Bronze Member
http://www.freshnessmag.com/2014/08/21/bang-olufsen-beoplay-s8-wireless-speaker-system/

Funny how they call it a wireless system... Maybe because there are no cables on any of the pictures!

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: ConsltThe Story Mouse

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,844 Posts
Bronze Member

B&O write: "take your streaming experiences to the next level".

Nowadays all journalists seem to have nothing but 'streaming' in their heads.

No wonder they get a set of active speakers mixed up with the streaming devices that float the tech-world today.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
209 Posts
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Sat, Aug 23 2014 6:14 PM
elephant:

Australian price AUD 1,799.00

Can anyone confirm ?

And no price change on his bigger brother ... so far ? The Essence of B&O is discretion in design and life

On the Beoplay webbisar the price is 10990 SEK.

Heard from my dealer that the Beolab 14 2.1 is end of life and the 4.1 and 5.1 will get a 20% discount
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,425 Posts
Bronze Member

I don't get it, how can you use this in addition to your 3.0 system and use the S8 as rears?

I saw on the manual it looks like you could ideally set it up to be more than 2.1 if you had more speakers?

Regards

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,844 Posts
Bronze Member

As long as the S8 has seperate PL-in's for the sub and the satelites, it doesn't matter to the satelites whether they are fronts or surround speakers.

It is just a matter of configuring the PL-port in the Avant - to which they are connected.

And you would have to place them in the back of your room - of course Stick out tongue

With the configuration of the internal speakers as front-left/center/front-right you would then have a 5.1 system.

MM

Yendys
Top 200 Contributor
Sydney
306 Posts
Bronze Member
Yendys replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:28 AM
Millemissen:

As long as the S8 has seperate PL-in's for the sub and the satelites, it doesn't matter to the satelites whether they are fronts or surround speakers.

It is just a matter of configuring the PL-port in the Avant - to which they are connected.

And you would have to place them in the back of your room - of course

With the configuration of the internal speakers as front-left/center/front-right you would then have a 5.1 system.

If this is actually the case I'll be placing an order for the S8 and moving my BL2 to another room along with my existing surrounds
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,844 Posts
Bronze Member

Might be a good idea.

But I am not sure it would be an upgrade - depending on what you use now as surround speakers....

....and what you are expecting from your 5.1 system.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,429 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:22 PM

Millemissen:

And you would have to place them in the back of your room - of course Stick out tongue

MM

My dealer tells me there are no PL - in on the S8, only RCA.

Anyone that can confirm this? 

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,844 Posts
Bronze Member

Please refer to the user guide (pic posted on the first page of this theead) - that is what I do!

Your dealer should take a closer look too.

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,425 Posts
Bronze Member

On the tech specs on the beoplay website, it says 

Input
Line in (3.5mm Jack / RCA plugs)

Power Link

Output
2 x speakers

In the Box 

So its got PL

1 Subwoofer with cover, 2 Satellites with covers, Mains cable, RJ45 - RCA cable, RCA - 3.5mm Jack cable, 2 speaker cables, 2 table stands, 2 wall brackets, Quick guide

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,429 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 2:29 PM

Aussie Michael:

On the tech specs on the beoplay website, it says 

Input
Line in (3.5mm Jack / RCA plugs)

Power Link

Output
2 x speakers

In the Box 

So its got PL

1 Subwoofer with cover, 2 Satellites with covers, Mains cable, RJ45 - RCA cable, RCA - 3.5mm Jack cable, 2 speaker cables, 2 table stands, 2 wall brackets, Quick guide

Alright,

Dealer mentioned he had B&O prod responsible in the store the other day, and he said there was no PL.

Must be a misunderstanding.  After looking for specification himself he now confirm that PL indeed is there. Would be very odd othervise.

Case closed

Subwoofer
 Satellite
DESIGNER
David Lewis Designers
David Lewis Designers
LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
Subwoofer
One-way
MATERIAL(S)
Cabinet: Composite materials
Cabinet: Aluminium  and steel
COLOUR(S)
Black
Cabinet: Black/Black
Cover: Black
POWER CONSUMPTION
30W
-
OPERATING CONDITIONS
10-40° C, 50-104° F
10-40° C, 50-104° F
IMPEDANCE
4 ohm
8 ohm
POWER AMPLIFIER, BASS
280W into 4 ohm

POWER AMPLIFIER, MIDRANGE
-
140W into 8 ohm
EFFECTIVE FREQUENCY RANGE*
26 - 20,000 Hz
-
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
120 Hz
-
SENSITIVITY**
88 dB SPL re 125 mVrms re 1m
-
BASS CAPABILITY
100 dB @ 10% distortion @ 50Hz
-
CABINET PRINCIPLE
Bass reflex
Sealed box
CABINET VOLUME
15 litre
0.5 litre
BASS DRIVER
1 x 8"
-
MIDRANGE DRIVER
-
1 x 2.5"
FEATURE(S)
Adaptive Bass Linearisation (ABL)
Thermal protection
Line sense - auto on/off
Thermal protection, via power estimation in Digital Sound Engine
CONNECTION(S)
Input:
2 x Power Link incl. 3 x Line by Power Link
1 x A/V multi connector
Output:
2 x speaker
1 x speaker
ACCESSORIES
2 x 6 m speaker cable (white)
Mini jack to RCA line adapter
RCA to RJ45 line adapter
Wall bracket (included)
Table stand, low (included)
Cover Black (included)
ROOM ADAPTATION
Variable

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
160 Posts
Bronze Member
kimchr replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 5:33 PM

Millemissen:

MM

Hi Millemissen

I think it is still very important to add to you point that if you have an Avant or Any Beosystem 4 based TV it does not matter if the S8 has one or two powerlinks. The Audio engine will route the low end from all channels to the most capable speakers in your setup. That will for sure be your S8 when used in combo with the Avant 3.0 speakers.

This fact is so important, it absolutely underlines the wonderful features of the audio engine and makes the S8 an incredible bargain as an upgrade to a stand-alone Avant.

/Kim

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,844 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi kimchr,

never doubted that function - in fact I never mentioned it, because it is obvious.

But if you have a LFE channel (the .1) from a Bluray/DVD or alike, you should really configure the port as a dedicated sub.

The important thing - by the BSys4-based engine - is that you can configure all ports just like you need them, and in case of the S8 use the satelites as surround speakers.

N.B. This configuration only make sense with the Avant, because the Avant has a center channel built in in addition to the right/left speakers.

Of course you could configure the built-in speakers as a center and add external fronts for 'better sound' - if you want/need that.

And of course you can use the S8 with any 5.1 enabled BV.

But my main point was, that you - with the help of the S8 - can create a 5.1 system with the Avant in a cheap and easy way. A system that would be sufficient for a lot of people.

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,425 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Hi kimchr,

never doubted that function - in fact I never mentioned it, because it is obvious.

Actually, I didn't know this , so thank you Kimchr, sometimes stating the obvious helps dummies like me

*bleep bleep*

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,844 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry Michael - I should have added: .... If you have done some research on how the new audio engine works.

See also:

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2013/12/13/bo-tech-what-are-subwoofers-really-for/

And - of course - The Technical Sound Guide here:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/da/customer-service/product-support/picture/beovision-11

MM

Page 4 of 10 (141 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL