Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 1 Follower

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
149 Posts
Silver Member
John Francis posted on Sat, Jul 5 2014 5:22 AM

Hello All,

i have looked at the the archive site for this and found some info, but how do you clean the stylus on a tangential turntable like a Beogram 8000. I have been taking the cartridge off each time but having read this is not a good idea wonder about the procedure for cleaning the stylus before each play that others might use. I have been removing my cartridge for years to clean the stylus. It is rather tight to get a brush under the stylus without removing it and have read elsewhere on this site that someone used a mascara brush borrowed from their lady companion as an instrument. I have read that repeatedly removing the cartridge is asking for trouble with the mount breaking, makes me ask how to do the cleaning effectively.

Any thought will be appreciated.

John

All Replies

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,392 Posts
Bronze Member

Here goes and it works like a charm, no need to take off the cartridge, only thing I use.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,635 Posts
Gold Member

I also use the Magic Eraser product on my stylus.  On my Beograms I just cut a small rectangular piece that I leave in the tonearm bay.  It is much lower than the stylus tip so the stylus can't touch the eraser unless I dip the arm down onto it. The stylus only needs to dip straight down and straight back up to remove dirt. Never drag the stylus forward or sideways when it is in the eraser.  The nice thing is there are no chemicals, it is very inexpensive and it does a great job. It is also the only thing I use now for the job.

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
149 Posts
Silver Member

Thanks Sonavor and Soren, Magic Eraser sounds like a good solution. No pun intended.

John

Cooker
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member

Where do you purchase this and how do you make a tangential arm beogram dip down and up to touch it?

Cheers

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,392 Posts
Bronze Member

Lift the stylus cleaner instead of dipping the tonearm

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
1,063 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jul 5 2014 4:34 PM
Do you guys "wet" the magic eraser before needle dipping or do it dry ?

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,392 Posts
Bronze Member

Dry always dry, but you can use magic eraser wet to clean aluminum, stainless steel etc etc do not use it on painted surfaces or wood.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
1,063 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jul 5 2014 5:43 PM
thanks Soren

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,635 Posts
Gold Member

On my BG8002 I just have a piece cut and leave it in the tonearm bay as shown in the picture. It is easier for me to just dip the tonearm gently onto the pad for cleaning. 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
4,017 Posts
Gold Member

Yep, same method here!

Jacques

Cooker
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member

So you manually press with your finger down on the town arm to make it touch the eraser? How do you know your not putting more then 1-2grams of pressure on it?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,635 Posts
Gold Member

Obviously you don't want to slam the stylus down (I am exaggerating of course). You just gently and slowly push the arm down observing the stylus tip going into the material. When the tip is all the way in, you stop. The magic eraser material is very soft but very dense. As I said before, you just don't want any sideways motion when the stylus is in contact with the material.

Cooker
Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Bronze Member
Cooker replied on Sun, Jul 6 2014 10:39 AM

Oh ok thanks.

Where is a good place to purchase the Magic Eraser?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

eBay, Poundshops, Asda, most hardware shops in the cleaning sections, Amazon etc etc.  Google serach 'magic eraser' or 'melamine foam'.

Dave.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL