rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 0 Followers

mattiasf92
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member
mattiasf92 posted on Thu, Jun 26 2014 10:42 AM

Hello Beoworld!

I have a Beosystem AV9000 from 1995 that I really like and It has been working without a problem for many years. But now it's started to turn itself off every 5-10 minutes. It just dies, leaving the curtains open. When I try to start it again it remains operational for another 5 minutes and then it dies again. I checked the error code and it says last error was B6 (which means nothing to me). But I suspected that the cause may be the power supply, so I replaced it with one from an older AV9000 i had.

But the problem is still there, even with the new power supply. I also checked the old power supply for bad soldering and burned out components and I couldn't find anything that looked bad.

Any suggestions what I should try next? I'd really like to fix it, since it (in my opinion) is the best CRT television ever made! Thanks!

All Replies

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
529 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

My Av9000 did the same thing when I got it out of storage, it was suggested that it might be a bad solderings in the power supply (see previous post below). 

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/4119.aspx

mine is back in storage until I get my extension finsihed, so not had a chance to have a look at it yet.

Good luck

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,308 Posts
Gold Member

It's basically an MX6000, so many of the issues mentioned in this old thread can apply to AV9000 as well.

You will be looking for bad solderings, dried out electrolytic capacitors (all of the small elcos in the power supply are suspect, really) and bad high voltage caps at the line output stage.

Also check the solderings at the connector of the deflection coil. If there are bad solderings in the high voltage areas, you can actually sometimes see them arcing if you look in a dark room.

If the TV still turns on, there are no catastrophic component failures and it can be a very small fix - once you find it.

--mika

mattiasf92
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you very much for your advice! Smile

I have now checked the original power supply again and re-soldered all of the high voltage components and capacitors. Again, I saw no bad soldering or burn-marks on the power supply, but I re soldered the components just to be sure. I replaced the power supply that i had borrowed from the other AV9000 and it seemed to work... Or... that's what I tought! The same problem is back, it turns itself off after approximately 5-10 minutes the first time I start it. After that, when I wake it up again the time between the shutdowns are faster.

Now, I don't think that both power supplys would be broken (especially since I know the one from the other AV9000 worked and none of them showed burn marks or bad soldering. A few years ago I had a similar problem on a 1995 MX 6000. It kept turning off itself, but that time it was a bad solder on a capacitor in the power supply. I could even smell that something was burning. But now I don't smell anything at all.

Yes, the TV always starts instantly when I press the remote right after it have died. So your probably right that it's just a small problem. But I'm running out of options. I mean, what else could it be than the power supply? Line output stage and deflection coil? Are they on the same PCB as the Power supply?

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with TV:s.. Wink

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,308 Posts
Gold Member

Time to start replacing capacitors then I guess. If you got the other power supply board from a unit that worked years ago (sorry, I couldn't quite follow the sequence of events) there's really no guarantee that it would be any better now.

mattiasf92:
Sorry, I'm not that experienced with TV:s.. Wink

Make sure you don't kill yourself in the process - the HV sections are lethal Indifferent

--mika

mattiasf92
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Well the powersupply from the other AV9000 worked perfectly a few months ago. I don't think the problem lies there. What I'm wondering is if there are any components on the other boards that can cause this problem? Huh?

Thanks! Smile I am not very experienced with TV:s, but that I know! I always discharge the picture tube properly and disconnect the tv! Smile

Die_Bogener
Top 500 Contributor
192 Posts
Bronze Member

What does the self test say? Did you start service mode?

It monitors the defect when it switches off.

Just connect the two pins called service mode on the scart input board and it will show you the last error in its memory.

dabbler
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Was this set ever repaired? I am repairing a mx4000, which has exactly the same symptoms and last error B6. So far ive recapped the power board and the video board (fixing an issue with the onscreen menu) however its still switching itself off and has B6 as the last error code!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,047 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Jul 31 2019 6:17 PM

The worrying thing here was that the last ever post from the OP was the last one on this thread five years ago...

CRT's, as mentioned, can be lethal..... I do hope he's ok! Unsure

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL