Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoLab 6000 vs 8000

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
34 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael Ellis posted on Mon, May 26 2014 11:31 AM

I have recently purchased a used pair of BeoLab 6000s on ebay and am very happy with them…. but…. would I be even happier with a used pair of 8000s?

I've searched but cannot find any review that gives a comparison of the sound between these two speakers. Has anyone here any views having heard them side-by-side?

My 6000's are in good working order and they sound pretty good. My source is streaming audio from Spotify with my MacBookPro via a Crystal Acustics BluDAC. Using a little equalisation to turn down the 1Khz to 4Kz range makes a big difference creating a more open and less shouty sound stage. If there is an area where the 6000s are less than impressive, it is the bass end. It's not that it is not loud enough, it's that it lacks definition and control. No amount of equalisation helps with that.

But the 8000s do have beefier bass units, so do they have better control over that end of the audio spectrum?

I'd be very interested to hear peoples opinions on how the 6000s and 8000s stack up.

Notes, I do not want to add a sub woofer. Sub woofers are great for movies but so far the subs I have listened to have been great for movie ground shaking rumbles but are a long way from reproducing that smack of an acoustic fretless double bass. Also I like the aesthetics of having nothing in my living room other than two graceful columns to provide my audio pleasure.

BeoLab 8000 Mk2, CrystalAccoustic BluDAC, Mac Book Pro Retina

All Replies

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,527 Posts
Bronze Member

I've had a few pairs of both. When working together in a surround sound setup, the 6000's make excellent supplementary speakers. On their own i found them acceptable in a small room. The 8000's are better in every way, including bass which you mention. 

I cannot comment on how the newer Mk2 8000's compare to the older generation, as i have only ever owned older pairs. Maybe somebody with experience could compare this as well. How are you using them?

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
34 Posts
Bronze Member

@Chris Townsend.

Thanks for the quick reply. My listening room is of moderate size 12' x 15'. It's definitely control and definition at the low end that I most seek to improve. I think the amplification in the 6000's may be boosted at the low end to help compensate for the small drive units but for the net result is wallowing muddy sound. 

Thanks and regards.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael Ellis:

I have recently purchased a used pair of BeoLab 6000s on ebay and am very happy with them…. but…. would I be even happier with a used pair of 8000s?

I've searched but cannot find any review that gives a comparison of the sound between these two speakers. Has anyone here any views having heard them side-by-side?

My 6000's are in good working order and they sound pretty good. My source is streaming audio from Spotify with my MacBookPro via a Crystal Acustics BluDAC. Using a little equalisation to turn down the 1Khz to 4Kz range makes a big difference creating a more open and less shouty sound stage. If there is an area where the 6000s are less than impressive, it is the bass end. It's not that it is not loud enough, it's that it lacks definition and control. No amount of equalisation helps with that.

But the 8000s do have beefier bass units, so do they have better control over that end of the audio spectrum?

I'd be very interested to hear peoples opinions on how the 6000s and 8000s stack up.

Notes, I do not want to add a sub woofer. Sub woofers are great for movies but so far the subs I have listened to have been great for movie ground shaking rumbles but are a long way from reproducing that smack of an acoustic fretless double bass. Also I like the aesthetics of having nothing in my living room other than two graceful columns to provide my audio pleasure.

BeoLab 6000, CrystalAccoustic BluDAC, Mac Book Pro Retina

I think so michael I used to have both first the 6000 on its own which I listened to about 2 years then the 8000

The 6000 has a lovely warm cosy sound like a Czech piano and the 8000 a much stronger version like a Steinway. At a used market the 8000 is now extremely good value and I would have 2 pairs front and back

The 18s which I have now is of course a different beast....
Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
34 Posts
Bronze Member

vlohjr1:
I think so michael I used to have both first the 6000 on its own which I listened to about 2 years then the 8000

The 6000 has a lovely warm cosy sound like a Czech piano and the 8000 a much stronger version like a Steinway. At a used market the 8000 is now extremely good value and I would have 2 pairs front and back

The 18s which I have now is of course a different beast....

@ vlohjr1

Go on then make me sick with envy. So how would you compare the 8000s and 18s!

Many thanks -- Michael

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, May 26 2014 4:28 PM

From your earlier posts, I saw where you had a fair amount of bass boost dialed in via EQ for the 6000s. That will definitely muddy the sound, since the small drive units are really moving a lot to produce the bass while trying to make midrange. That's one of the real advantages of doing a subwoofer properly, which means not just a low pass filter for the sub but also a symmetric high pass filter to keep the bass out of the main speakers. Many people just slap a sub on and don't use a high pass filter, and don't adjust the sub properly either. Geoff Martin has a good writeup on his blog page about setting up subwoofers.

But, the 8000s are much better sounding than the 6000s. I had mine in a room that was about 12.5 ft by 25 ft, shooting across the short length of the room in my last house. They had decent bass, as that room had a lot of bass boost naturally, lots of room gain. I ran the 8000s flat on treble, and one notch up on bass on the tone controls of my BS9000. In my new house the living area is barn sized so the 8000s just disappeared, so I moved them to the dining room and am running BL9s now.

But as you note now is the time to pick up used 8000s! I doubt you'd be disappointed, and to my eye they look even better than the 6000s, a truly iconic speaker.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
34 Posts
Bronze Member

@Jeff, many thanks for your comments. Appreciated. 

The snapshots in that older blog should probably be updates as I have been dialling down the bass for exactly the reasons you mention. The BeoLabs 6000s are not at all bass light in terms of SPL, it's just the lack of definition and control.

Well, I'm watching eBay, fingers crossed :-)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, May 26 2014 5:18 PM

I have a pair of 6000s that I picked up used that need some repair. I've gotten the parts, bottom plates for both, top plate for one, and new woofers as one speaker has both woofers shot. Haven't gotten around to fixing them up yet. I was going to put them in the dining room, but since I got the BL9s my 8000s are moving to the dining room. Not sure what I'll do with the 6000s, probably use them for surrounds in my non-B&O AV setup as they look better than the small speakers on tall metal stands I'm using now.

They sound remarkably good for what they are, but in the end they have very small drivers, it's a credit to B&O that they sound as full range as they do, but even B&O can't rewrite all the laws of acoustics.They should work just dandy for surrounds though, since the processor routes the bass to the sub.

I never understood why MoMA picked the 6000s for the permanent collection but not the 8000s. While the 6000s are much more minimalist in size, to me the 8000s are far more elegant with the cone tapering to a point on the heavy bases.

Good luck with the hunt!

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, May 26 2014 5:23 PM

Another thing that makes the speakers muddy when bass is boosted, the 6000s and the 8000s are both bass reflex speakers (ported), not acoustic suspension (or sealed). Below system resonance, where the speaker and port resonance are located, the woofer unloads, that is it has no air pressure behind it to help keep it controlled and stop it from overextending itself. I am not sure exactly how B&O handles this, I suspect they have some kind of bass limiting below system resonance to help protect the drivers, but the symptoms you describe are in line with a woofer unloading and getting sloppy in its movements as well as just generally from handling a lot of bass and midrange at the same time. Bass boost below system resonance will usually not give you more real bass but endangers the drivers more than anything. Especially true on normal speakers that don't have any protection as you can implement in an active speaker.

With the 8000s that frequency will be a fair amount lower than it is with the 6000s. This happens for all bass reflex or passive radiator speakers. B&O is in a better position than most to handle this due to being active as they can limit the bass in the electronics. I've seen quite a few small passive speakers destroyed by too much bass boost and power.

Jeff

Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
34 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by -c

@Jeff, 

Thanks for your comments.

I am hopeful that the Active design sensible limits current to the speakers as since I am driving them through bluetooth (aptx) there's always the chance of spurious radio interference that could send spikes down the line.

Sad to say, didn't win on eBay. Will keep looking!

Regards -- Michael

Rightbehindmilkyway
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

I used to have a preloved pair of 6000's connected to my Beocenter 6 - 26 in a small room (3,5 Meters x 3 Meters x 2,2 Meters ) for 2 Years. 4 Month ago I got a good deal on a preloved pair of 8000's (without bass-update).

Even in that small room I would call the difference rather amazing. Especially if you like lower mids (you can not call it bass) the acoustical, and optical Wink improvement is worth the money. 

You should wait to the mid of summer, when the prices at online auctions reach their yearly low and than go for it. Wink

Beocenter 6-26 white, Beovision 8-32 black, Beosound 3200, Beolab 8000, Beolab 4000, Beocom 4, Beocom 1401, 2x Beo 4, Beolink 1000, A 9 Keyring

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Mon, May 26 2014 10:01 PM
Michael Ellis:

@ vlohjr1

Go on then make me sick with envy. So how would you compare the 8000s and 18s!

Many thanks -- Michael

BeoLab 6000, CrystalAccoustic BluDAC, Mac Book Pro Retina

Hi Michael I would say 18s have much greater clarity than 8k as I had both for a little while and not a heavy sound like the 9s I don't need a 19 for music and movies anymore because the tv does a v good job of processing the sound

Regards

Vince
Michael Ellis
Not Ranked
Cambridge
34 Posts
Bronze Member

Many thanks!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 27 2014 4:14 PM

I haven't heard the 18s yet, and still think the 8000s are better looking, but an increase in treble and a wider sweet spot is what I'd expect from the ALT tweeter. I will say I've heard 6000s and 8000s side by side and found the midrange clarity and smoothness much superior on the 8000s over the 6000s, which is also what I'd expect. Larger mid/woofers don't have to work as hard on bass. In fact, the thing that always blew me away with my 8000s was how open and transparent the mids were, and in a smaller room the treble was smooth and airy.

The room I moved them into in the new house is truly huge, about 18 feet across, and maybe 40+ feet long if you count the raised areas at each end that make up the stage area and foyer. The 8000s got lost in here, no bass and even the treble had problems. In the still large dining room/sunroom/kitchen area however the shape of the room seems to reinforce the bass on the 8000s, they sound very nice in there despite the volume of the room.

The 8000s and the 9s share one characteristic though, they just seem to completely disappear when setup right. You can't point at the speaker and say the sound is coming from that, which is something the old Dahlquists impressed me with back in the day. The Beo speakers are much less finicky about placement and such though. Easier to live with.

Jeff

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Bronze Member
If you love the 6000 and have a sub, grab a pair of beolab 1 rather than bl8000.

The 8000 at low volume are really bad compared too the 6000, but the 6000 are not powerfull enough for large room even if you add a sub to your set up.

With the 1 you have the best of the two worlds with really strong and powerfull mediums and highs.

I add 6000, 8000 and now 1 instead.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL