Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

No Netflix app on a BV- why?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 47 Replies | 4 Followers

NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member
NessimelliM posted on Sun, May 18 2014 10:08 AM

There have been a couple of explanations to why there is no Netflix app/direct access on the newer SmartTV enabled B&O tv's.

None of these explanations seems to 'tell the whole thruth'.

Yesterday - when having a look again, again at the Avant - I asked the dealer that question.

It may not be interesting for german costumers (there is no Netflix in Germany at the moment), but a lot of the B&O costumers surely would like to have the direct access to Netflix without the 'ATV workaround'.

By the way - this 'issue' would go for any of the movie streaming services avaible (national or international), I guess.

So - this dealer had yet another explanation for the missing Netflix app on the Bv's.

He told me that Netflix charges license for enabling the apps on the tv's!

In this case - if B&O would upgrade all (BSys-based) tv's - it would cost quite a lot, because the fees would have to be paid for every tv sold...not only for new tv's.

I did a research this morning, but I have not been able to verify, if this is correct or not?

This is one of the google-searches that has no result, no matter how you ask on Google Crying

Has anyone knowledge of how these things are handled between Netflix and the tv manufactorers?

And - if correct - how much these licence fees are?

To me it seems that there may be some hruth in it. That could be the reaon why many of the 'great players' don't enable their older SmartTV versions via software update - but only apply Netflix to the 'next year models'. Simply to save costs.

So the question is how much would it cost to get Netflix (or any of the other services) to our BV's?

And would you - as a costumer - be willing to pay for this (if update was possible)?

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

All Replies

PapaJustify
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Then - why does Netflix run on other 'SmartTV Alliance' platforms like on the Philips tv's?

MM

I guess that is because Philips' hardware and software platforms are compatible with the Netflix client while B&O's is not.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,170 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, May 20 2014 1:00 PM

The B&O media platform is a application platform embedded in the hardware of the TV. This platform allows developers and publishers to build apps made available preloaded on the TV, all built on this media platform. Each integration with a manufacturer takes on different aspects to expose a consistent user interface to the consumer. Netflix app is a native code executable made available trough the (mostly flexible) architecture of a media platform. From a consumer perspective, Netflix is seen as an “app”, but in this case the physical implementation is probably different. Normally Netflix owns the app along with all features and implementation, so they have to make changes as they own the app and code. The question is:

- Is B&O willing to give there platform architecture to Netflix or any other (Hulu, Amazon,...) so they can do the necessary implementation?

- Is Netflix, as an owner of the app & code leave it to B&O to do the necessary rewriting for their native app to implement it?

Probably its not so easy as we think to get Netflix as app on our B&O screens. My guess for the implementation : Don’t compare B&O with Philips, LG, Sony, etc… It’s  a small player and therefore a no priority with Netflix. Let us all wait and and watch regularly the media player setup for this app.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member

I am certainly not 'comparing' - just trying to understand Smile

MM

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,170 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, May 20 2014 2:29 PM

Millemissen:

I am certainly not 'comparing' - just trying to understand Smile

MM

My deep sincere apologies if you get this personal Mille, I was in now way to offend you. I say No - thumbs down to me.

EDIT: By the way, did you watched lately the Mediaviewer on your V1. Belgium is now with the most apps, I'm expecting soon Netflix for us Cool

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 20 2014 3:50 PM

I suppose it would be nice to have it native on the set, especially as the B&O way is to minimize external boxes but if you are going to have a BluRay player it becomes kind of a so what. I have Netflix on both my Panasonic TV and my Oppo BR player. Unfortunately, I've not been able to successfully get the audio return on the TV to send sound to the AVR I'm using for sound duty, so I watch Netflix via the BR player.

Interfaces are identical. Picture quality and such are identical.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris:

My deep sincere apologies if you get this personal Mille, I was in now way to offend you. I say No - thumbs down to me.

EDIT: By the way, did you watched lately the Mediaviewer on your V1. Belgium is now with the most apps, I'm expecting soon Netflix for us Cool

it takes a lot more to offend me - so no, I did not understand it that way Smile

What do you mean by 'the Mediaviewer on your V1' ?

If you mean the 'WebMedia'? Then no, I tried that a couple of times in the beginning - since then never again.

I know there can be other/different app's, if you choose another country - but I don't know which ones from which country?

MM

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,170 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, May 20 2014 5:51 PM

Millemissen:

If you mean the 'WebMedia'? Then no, I tried that a couple of times in the beginning - since then never again.

Yes, I mean the webmedia.

Look at the Netherlands, they have the most apps. Take a look also at 'Conditions' in the startscreen of WebMedia, here is written that WebMedia is a platform belonging to TP Vision -Holland.

A search for TP Vision on the net shows that it is the owner of Philips? TP Vision brought Netflix in september 2013 on their Philips Smart TV platform next to You Tube and Videoland On Demand. Right now You Tube is on the apps for my country, so my guess is Netflix and Videoland On Demand will be soon?!

At present it seems Netflix has no plans for my country, but I can already hire movies and series from Videoland On Demand with a Belgian account on my desktop, tablet...

NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member

I read the news today, oh boy!

Seems that from now on a lot more B&O-tv users will be asking for a Netflix app.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27496055

MM

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
417 Posts
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Wed, May 21 2014 10:30 AM

If you would like to access 4K content from Netflix, you have to use the app - this will perhaps change with the new Apple TV rumoured to be released this summer, but for now no external boxes can provide Netflix 4K content...

Roger

malcolm welborn
Top 500 Contributor
canary islands
188 Posts
Founder

I live in spain and nextflix app is on pc and I pad  but just comes up will e mail when available

malcolm welborn

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
213 Posts
Silver Member

Fresh news: Netflix coming to France, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/netflix-launch-six-european-countries-040425978.html

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Wed, May 21 2014 4:11 PM

Unless it's built in for 4K capability, partnering with just Netflix is a waste of development resources for B&O (in my often humbled opinion). 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Sep 3 2014 3:25 PM

Any further developments on a Netflix for BV?  I am considering a BV11 and was trying to work out how many additional boxes I need.

Incidentally it is Netflix that has finally forced me to look for a new TV, as the current one (BV6) doesn't have hdcp!  I am using a WD TV Live and have had to switch back to composite output because my DVI input has no hdcp.

Interestingly, the latest WD TV's do not have the Netflix app installed, even when bought in UK, so perhaps there are some recent licensing issues.

rxcohen
Top 500 Contributor
New York
201 Posts
Bronze Member

No news that I know of, but just stick an appleTV behind the BV11 and you have netflix, apple movie and music streaming, and a host of other things. It works very well and there is even a compartment inside the BV11 for it. It is only $100 (or equivalent in Europe), takes up only 1 hdmi and rather invisible once installed. I programmed one of the buttons on the Beo4 for appleTv, so I can just go directly to it when I turn the TV on. Frankly I don't see much value in building netflix into the TV.

BV11-55, BS9000, BL1, BL19, Transmitter 1, Beo4, Beocom 6000, BeoTalk1 200, Sennheiser HD600, McIntosh MHA100

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
922 Posts
Bronze Member
rxcohen:

No news that I know of, but just stick an appleTV behind the BV11 and you have netflix, apple movie and music streaming, and a host of other things. It works very well and there is even a compartment inside the BV11 for it. It is only $100 (or equivalent in Europe), takes up only 1 hdmi and rather invisible once installed. I programmed one of the buttons on the Beo4 for appleTv, so I can just go directly to it when I turn the TV on. Frankly I don't see much value in building netflix into the TV.

I suggest Roku over Apple TV.

Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL