Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

No Netflix app on a BV- why?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 47 Replies | 4 Followers

NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member
NessimelliM posted on Sun, May 18 2014 10:08 AM

There have been a couple of explanations to why there is no Netflix app/direct access on the newer SmartTV enabled B&O tv's.

None of these explanations seems to 'tell the whole thruth'.

Yesterday - when having a look again, again at the Avant - I asked the dealer that question.

It may not be interesting for german costumers (there is no Netflix in Germany at the moment), but a lot of the B&O costumers surely would like to have the direct access to Netflix without the 'ATV workaround'.

By the way - this 'issue' would go for any of the movie streaming services avaible (national or international), I guess.

So - this dealer had yet another explanation for the missing Netflix app on the Bv's.

He told me that Netflix charges license for enabling the apps on the tv's!

In this case - if B&O would upgrade all (BSys-based) tv's - it would cost quite a lot, because the fees would have to be paid for every tv sold...not only for new tv's.

I did a research this morning, but I have not been able to verify, if this is correct or not?

This is one of the google-searches that has no result, no matter how you ask on Google Crying

Has anyone knowledge of how these things are handled between Netflix and the tv manufactorers?

And - if correct - how much these licence fees are?

To me it seems that there may be some hruth in it. That could be the reaon why many of the 'great players' don't enable their older SmartTV versions via software update - but only apply Netflix to the 'next year models'. Simply to save costs.

So the question is how much would it cost to get Netflix (or any of the other services) to our BV's?

And would you - as a costumer - be willing to pay for this (if update was possible)?

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

All Replies

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Bronze Member
vikinguk:

In the UK one of the main apps is the bbc iPlayer. I don't know whether it is installed for other markets, but the bbc say that you cannot use it outside the UK except for receiving news and limited 'Best of' series.

The ITV player cannot be added to the BV11 in the UK so there are certainly restrictions in place but not based on country.

Graham

If you set your BV11 region as UK, the BBC iPlayer is available, when you change region it disappears again (app still does not work unless you use VPN or similar to also fool BBC into thinking you are in UK)
Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
213 Posts
Silver Member

Beobuddy:

But more interesting will be the development of internet itself. Will content, like Netflix, Spotify or any other streaming service, try to get priority at the internet providers to maintain a streaming service without  hitches to its customers.

"Try to get priority" is an understatement :). You can read more about the Comcast and Verizon deals with Netflix here: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/28/5662580/netflix-signs-traffic-deal-with-verizon

In the US, Netflix accounts for more than 30% of the total Internet traffic. In the UK it's at around 17% and rising.

On top of these bilateral deals, there's also the whole mess of net neutrality being put into question by the carriers (who ultimately want big content providers to pay them to speed up their services). This applies to the US only for the time being, but similar issues will arise in Europe as well at some stage.

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Sun, May 18 2014 8:43 PM

Don't wish to sound like a fanboy, but I think B&O is in a better position today by not over-committing to anyone's video technology or application. Niche player creates luxury open source TV, modified to suit regional application, with price updated accordingly; Makes sense to me. 

Things will be dramatic over the next few years as net media providers and internet providers fight over the terrain in the US. I wouldn't pretend to have a guess as to how it will shake out, but the Comcast deal with Netflix is intriguing. If Netflix become the major player in 4K, Comcast will have an early edge, but there are all kind of legal ramifications for bundled cable, internet, and both kind of voice in the US, as several have alluded.  

On another note, people must not forget that Hulu has the support of TV networks in the US plus BBC, and Amazon is as powerful as Google and Apple. 

Wouldn't you hate to be wrong in this domain? Makes the music scene look amateur. 

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Sun, May 18 2014 11:16 PM

And ATT just announced it is buying Direct TV for over $48B, putting them squarely in the Video business, and once again proving I am minutes ahead of my time in not having a clue where this thing is headed.  

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,942 Posts
Founder

symmes:

, but I think B&O is in a better position today by not over-committing to anyone's video technology or application. Niche player creates luxury open source TV, modified to suit regional application, with price updated accordingly; Makes sense to me.  

Netflix is or will be just an app in B&O's own app store. Customers should be able to make their own choice and customize their own userinterface.

No app's which they never use.

I've recently bought a WD Live TV mediaplayer to play with. It has also Netflix like ATV. But the number of app's pre-installed are ihmo to much and causes a chaotic interface. Less is more..

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,357 Posts
Gold Member

Beobuddy:
I've recently bought a WD Live TV mediaplayer to play with. It has also Netflix like ATV. But the number of app's pre-installed are ihmo to much and causes a chaotic interface. Less is more..

That plagues most SmartTVs. My Sony W6 has probably a three-digit number of apps, with no visible description apart from the title (which you have to wait to scroll if it's longer than two or three words). It would probably take a full working day of clicking and waiting just to find out what each of them does. And I use two or three of them. At least you can select which ones appear in a quick menu...

--mika

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
209 Posts
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Mon, May 19 2014 9:14 AM
Beobuddy:

Netflix is or will be just an app in B&O's own app store. Customers should be able to make their own choice and customize their own userinterface.

No app's which they never use.

I hope that is not the way B&O are planning to use Netflix. If so, what's the real benefit vs netflix on ATV if you first have to go to SmartTV and then start Netflix.

What I really hope for is that B&O choose to offer Netflix access direct via a source button just like Spotify. That would be a true competitive advantage
Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,942 Posts
Founder

rob08:

What I really hope for is that B&O choose to offer Netflix access direct via a source button just like Spotify. That would be a true competitive advantage

Or even better, every installed app automatically via the List button.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member

My retailer also said that Netflix charged to much for their licenses! I think it is absolutely absurd that Netflix charges for this. Netflix makes money on customers and when the customer does not need to purchase special equipment this means they will gain more customers. 

Of course Netflix should be the ones to blame here and I think we all should email them about it. The BV smart tv uses a platform that is very similar to other tvs so it is not a big problem to put it in the code of the BV-tvs.  

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Bronze Member
B&O smart TV's are all based on the basic platform from the Smart TV alliance (http://www.smarttv-alliance.org) which includes amongst others LG, Philips and Toshiba. The alliance aims to have a common platform with app stores (as is the case for the Beovision 11, V1 etc.) and for the LG and Phillips TV's Netflix has been in their app stores for years now.

So actually to get Netflix requires no coding whatsoever the app has been around for years on other "Smart TV" alliance members' products, it's simply a case of B&O choosing to limit (severely) the apps we can access. To get an idea of what's are available, go to a big box retailer and play around with an LG, there's literally hundreds of apps - Hulu, Amazon instant video, Netflix, Crackle etc.

It's not clear to me why we are being limited, not is clear to me that there is indeed any licensing fees to be paid.

The document below on page 7 talks about B&O joining the Smart TV alliance.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Investors/Annual%20General%20Meeting%202013/AGM%202013_Chairmans%20speach_UK_F_web.pdf
NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member

Some time ago I read that Opera and B&O would have a cooperation - in order to have the new Opera SDK

as part of the SmartTV.

http://www.operasoftware.com/press/releases/devices/2014-01-08_2

Any news about this?

This seems to allow the user to get any app, he prefers - on his own.

MM

PapaJustify
Top 500 Contributor
110 Posts
Bronze Member

berlin2010:
So actually to get Netflix requires no coding whatsoever the app has been around for years on other "Smart TV" alliance members' products, it's simply a case of B&O choosing to limit (severely) the apps we can access. To get an idea of what's are available, go to a big box retailer and play around with an LG, there's literally hundreds of apps - Hulu, Amazon instant video, Netflix, Crackle etc.

Quite the contrary. It requires some heavy coding actually. Netflix is not available on B&O TVs solely due to technical reasons (Netflix app not compatible with B&Os platform).
The Smart-TV Alliance doesn't help much there apart from working together common goals and standards. It does not mean that all apps work out-of-the-box on every platform.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member
Netflix will arrive in France in september this year. Hope will get an app available untill then.
Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,170 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, May 20 2014 9:44 AM

PapaJustify:
Quite the contrary. It requires some heavy coding actually. Netflix is not available on B&O TVs solely due to technical reasons (Netflix app not compatible with B&Os platform).

The Smart-TV Alliance doesn't help much there apart from working together common goals and standards. It does not mean that all apps work out-of-the-box on every platform.

This is indeed correct and what I hear from good sources. Netflix has no problems towards B&O, but B&O has to design the application for Netflix in home, Netflix will not write it.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

NessimelliM
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,613 Posts
Bronze Member

Then - why does Netflix run on other 'SmartTV Alliance' platforms like on the Philips tv's?

MM

Page 2 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL