Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 30 Replies | 1 Follower

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO posted on Mon, May 12 2014 8:52 AM

Beolit 600:

When I got it the speaker was locked, due to dislocated magnet. Dial-cord was missing. Dial was discoloured due to heavy corroded indicator balls. And some other minor flaws. 
Speaker was dis-assembled re glued. Dial was cleaned. New dial-cord attached. etc.

An unexpected nostalgic and nice feeling, to listen to a transistor radio, when cooking. Haven't listened to a transistor radio for decades!

//Bo.
A long list...

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,837 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) chartz replied on Fri, Aug 29 2014 3:52 PM
Verified by BO

And my recent experience with classic Beovox 5000 speakers is also enlightening. Night and day, the caps were mostly shot, showing absurd values with rocketting ESRs and raised capacitance. 

On my Beovox Monitor70 speakers, a re-cap made no difference at all, the caps still being up to specs.

Another classic device where old caps seem to last forever is the Beolab 5000 amplifier.

But I'd say yes, replace the old caps, it is good for the peace of mind, if anything.

Jacques

All Replies

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 8:58 PM
Leslie:

Looks great Bo, excellent job. Did you put felt (vilt) under the stands? That doesn't look to good to be honest.

Brengen & Ophalen

I will cut them to fit, then it will look good.

//Bo.
A long list...

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Aug 14 2014 10:11 AM

Beovox M100 continued:

Got the upper part from surface treatment.

Lovely!

//Bo.
A long list...

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
821 Posts
Bronze Member

Very nice stands and speakers too. Good job BO!

But I am wondering what those little glasses in the background could be for? Big Smile

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Aug 14 2014 11:10 AM

the_o_master:
But I am wondering what those little glasses in the background could be for? Big Smile
Those are actually candlelight holders. But don't worry I have glasses tooSmile

//Bo.
A long list...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,309 Posts
Gold Member

Perfect job on the stands Bo, congrats

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Aug 14 2014 3:14 PM

Søren Mexico:

Perfect job on the stands Bo, congrats

Thanks a lot.Smile

If anyone else want to make their own I can provide the drawings.

//Bo.
A long list...

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Very nice, they look like mine :)

What I need is a pair of M100 speakers for my stands. 

Congratulations on a great job!

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Aug 14 2014 6:30 PM

Thanks Smile

sonavor:
What I need is a pair of M100 speakers for my stands. 
I can give you the measurements and take some photos so you can build your own! Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

//Bo.
A long list...

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

If I could build a pair of M100 speakers from scratch I would be famous :)

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 1:12 PM

Beovox M100 continued:

Time for recap. Ordered a cap kit from Dillen. Came with very good instruction as always.

Ready for operation

Opening up

These speaker are really well built and a pleasure to work with. Only negative is the weight which make them difficult to handle.

Excellent drivers

Crossover

Components replaced

Components replaced

Caps secured with hot-melt.

Reassembled and done.

And the result? Not much difference. I did one speaker at the time to be able to compare. The difference is subtile. Maybe a little less shrill, sounds a liitle more damped (in a positive way), an overall more controlled sound. Maybe some hours of "running in" will make more difference.

//Bo.
A long list...

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
5,423 Posts
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:11 PM

I did the same exercise as you did with several speaker systems (Penta's, RL140's and now 4x RL7000's which I 'm working on now) but the difference is minimum.

Brengen & Ophalen

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:29 PM

I have also recapped several other speakers, where the difference before and after has varied from huge to nothing. I guess it all depends on the conditions of the caps you replace. The conditions of the caps will vary depending on type, age, hours used, temperature and other environmental conditions. However in all cases it will be better (if not audible) and guarantee a longer life time with sound as specified if not better. So I still recommend a recap if the speakers are 20+ years.

//Bo.
A long list...

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
876 Posts
Silver Member

Great work, BO!

Since I got some of the older speakers as well but cannot do recapping on my own and would not like to do them any harm, I was always intrigued by the question of how much racapping actually does good for the speakers. Obviously all Beolink 7000 need recapping at some stage. However, my Beogram 4000 does pretty well with the original caps even after more than 40 years. So what about Pentas and Beolab 5000s? Interesting that you report that recapping didn't have much of an effect soundwise with even much older speakers.

Greetings,

Kai

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
1,187 Posts
Bronze Member

New capacitors make a substantial difference in lowering the stress levels encountered by the semiconductors.

In my BG4000 restoration, check these scope waveforms, showing ripple before and after cap replacement.

Click here 

Even if you can't hear any difference, just because the appliance "works", doesn't mean that long-term damage is NOT being caused by continuing to use the old capacitors.

And we KNOW that old capacitors in B&O equipment are generally unreliable by now.

Menahem

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,837 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) chartz replied on Fri, Aug 29 2014 3:52 PM
Verified by BO

And my recent experience with classic Beovox 5000 speakers is also enlightening. Night and day, the caps were mostly shot, showing absurd values with rocketting ESRs and raised capacitance. 

On my Beovox Monitor70 speakers, a re-cap made no difference at all, the caps still being up to specs.

Another classic device where old caps seem to last forever is the Beolab 5000 amplifier.

But I'd say yes, replace the old caps, it is good for the peace of mind, if anything.

Jacques

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL