rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 1 Follower

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member
thorne posted on Sun, May 4 2014 12:31 PM

I decided to calibrate my speakers properly using an SPL meter

The technical guide states that I should set the meter for each speaker at 65db positioning it at the listening position

So in the speaker level setting, I attempted to do this, but cannot achieve anything like that level even with the speakers up to their maximum of 6db

However, the guide specifically states I should adjust the volume and not the speaker level for each speaker but I should do this in the speaker level option.  So I am a little confused.  Is the level different to the volume, and if so how do I get to alter the volume, rather than the level?

Hoping someone can help!

All Replies

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, MM.  Yes' I'll see what Geoff has to say.  Meanwhile, when is the new SW update due?

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
621 Posts
Bronze Member

thorne:

1. I have 5.1 surround system, and the dealer has set up only one speaker group, called TV.  But it seems to me that I also need an audio group for playing CDs on my 9000, whereby the centre speakers rate not used, but only left and right front, left and right surround, and the subwoofer.  Is this easy to do?  Unless, of course, the system is clever enough to detect when music is being played and adjusts the centre speakers accordingly.  Hence the question.

This is quite easy using one of two options.

1. The Speaker Group method:

Go to your Speaker Groups menu, and it will show the first one (called TV) and 8 other (probably blank) "slots" that can be used for more groups.

Navigate down to one of the other Speaker Group slots and set it up as you desire (Speaker Roles first, then Speaker Level and Speaker Distance). For a 2.0 configuration, just use two of your loudspeakers set to Left Front and Right Front and leave the rest OFF.

To switch Speaker Groups on the fly, you can press LIST on your Beo4 remote until the LCD panel reads "SPEAKER" and then press GO to see your list of options  - or you can just hit the number of the Speaker Group you want to select.

2. The Sound Mode method

If you set the Sound Mode to Custom (using the factory default settings) then the Spatial setting will be "1:1" instead of "TrueImage". This means that a 2.0 input signal will only be reproduced by the Left Front and Right Front loudspeakers, even if you are in a 5.1-channel Speaker Group.

thorne:

1. When I had a 7 TV and Apple TV, I liked the TV screen to be blank when playing music.  If I used P. mute, the screen would go blank and the TV would revert to standby position. With the 11, the screen does go blank, but the TV stays where it is.  Is this as it should be?  And how does Apple TV fit in with my issue in 1. above?

Sorry - I don't know the answer to the first half of this question. I am only capable of answering questions about audio.

As for the Apple TV half, you can select the appropriate Speaker Group that you desire for any input source.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

-geoff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,930 Posts
Bronze Member

2. The Sound Mode method.

Thanks - Geoff - for that hint. I did not think of that before.

That seems to be very helpfull.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, Geoff.  All done!

But presumably I have to manually change speaker groups.  There is no automatic recognition of the source to switch to the appropriate speaker group?  That's a little disappointing

Thanks again.  You have been most helpful

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,930 Posts
Bronze Member

thorne:

Meanwhile, when is the new SW update due?

According to what was published on the forum it should have been out on the 30th of April.

My dealer said it would be delayed a couple of days.

But it is still ot there!

Maybe they get it out before the launch tomorrow.

Anyway - if you have set your BV to 'automatic udate' - you will notice when it is there.

MM

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
290 Posts
Bronze Member
thorne replied on Tue, May 13 2014 10:38 PM

Still waiting for the sw update.  At the moment, it is possible to assign a speaker group to the radio source, but that's all, as far as I can see

Unless anyone knows differently!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,930 Posts
Bronze Member

Shouldn't be long now, some say.

If you want to know more have a look at the Avant - it already has the new SW.

MM

blancareyes
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Adjust the volume of speaker and once get check your system from the expert.

more info

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL