Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

A Beovox MS150 Project

Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 213 Replies | 5 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Fri, Mar 30 2012 5:31 AM

While delaying the completion of the Beomaster 6000 project (I have been recapping some other amplifiers before diving into the volume motor repair), I came across these Beovox MS150 speakers that are in need of restoration. The MS150 speakers have been on my radar for a while now but this was my first chance to get a pair and they were within driving distance (for me) to pick up...so no shipping. 

As you can see, the 8 inch and 10 inch drivers need new foam surrounds. That is to be expected. I haven't opened them up to check the crossovers yet but I am figuring I will be replacing those capacitors as well.  The real issue I will have is the top grill covers. Both speakers are missing those. Even without them I had to buy these speakers. If anyone has any spare top grill covers please let me know. 

I am also trying to decide the best place to order surrounds. I have bought surrounds off Ebay for several of my CX100, CX50, S55, S120.2 and RL140 speakers.  All of those refoam projects came out great. I imagine the same surrounds for the S120.2 8 inch driver should also work for the MS150. I will see if that company also supplies the 10 inch surrounds. 

In any case, parts will have to be ordered so it will be a couple weeks before I can really get started.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

...with the grill covers (no top cover)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,484 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:06 AM
Verified by Jason

When I had a pair of these, I had them reconed with a rubber surround. The sound was excellent - Recone Lab were so impressed they put them through their sound chamber - ruler flat response! They are the pair pictured here.

Peter

All Replies

Søren Hammer
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
953 Posts
Bronze Member

Congratulations with your purchase, always happy to see another MS150 owner (though I wouldn't like to be your neighbour)  Laughing

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

I don't have stands that say MS150 on them but last year (in the anticipation of finding some of the larger Beovox speakers) I picked up a pair of M100 stands. They look like they will fit and be sturdy enough. What do you think?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,931 Posts
Bronze Member

sonavor:

I don't have stands that say MS150 on them but last year (in the anticipation of finding some of the larger Beovox speakers) I picked up a pair of M100 stands. They look like they will fit and be sturdy enough. What do you think?

They'll do, and you have height adjust, just check the hole distance, I made some for my S45s and as far as I remember the hole distance is the same in all these types of speakers. Good looking stands. will have to paint mine in the same color, will look better with the rosewood, mine are light gray.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

I removed the fronts to look inside today.  Here is a picture of the first one. It wasn't hard to remove the front. Someone had done that before in the past. The screws holding the front on were not original. They looked like sheetrock screws. I was worried what I would find inside but the inside looked okay (the first and second speaker looked the same). There were some paper towels wadded up inside and it looks like someone must have added some glue under the front supports where the cover screws in to. Maybe there was a vibration they were trying to fix?

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

Here is the underside of the front cover

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

Here is the crossover. There is some white silicone glue around a couple of the inductors that looks added. The original glue is darker as you can see. That might be the reason the cover was opened too. The case itself doesn't look repaired. Just some inside work was done.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

The bottom of both speakers have duct tape that was holding a screen in place over the sub woofer port....maybe to keep varmits out?  There are marks on the backs of each speaker that I can tell are from the B&O stands so these speakers started out life on stands. Maybe when they were removed from the stands someone wanted to protect the ports from mice...not a modification I want to keep.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

Gotta wonder what happened here. The circular housing for the tweeter and mid drivers has a really nasty scratch. It indents into the plastic. Lucky whatever did that missed the drivers! I wonder if I should attempt to fix the scratches. Without a top grill the scratches will be visible. Not critical for the sound of the speakers of course but I want the end result to look as good as possible. Sanding the damage could make the problem look worse though.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

This is a picture of the crossover from the other MS150. That speaker appears to have the original screws and the inside looks untouched. Note that the inductors on this crossover don't have any of the white silicone glue...just the original brownish glue.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

Finally, for this round of pictures, here is the second speaker's sub woofer. The other pictures of the second speaker were pretty much the same as the first one. So I think something was loose on the first speaker and someone tried to fix it. I am still checking on which foam surrounds to go with. It seems like the two usual suppliers have good and less than good reviews.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,931 Posts
Bronze Member

sonavor:

Finally, for this round of pictures, here is the second speaker's sub woofer. The other pictures of the second speaker were pretty much the same as the first one. So I think something was loose on the first speaker and someone tried to fix it. I am still checking on which foam surrounds to go with. It seems like the two usual suppliers have good and less than good reviews.

John, Is that a cone rest we see in the pic ??

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

The big tube in the last picture? It is over the 8 inch (mid woofer) driver. It is filled with white sound dampening material. So the design was to kill the backside sound of the smaller woofer and port the 10 inch sub out the bottom of the speaker (through another tube.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,688 Posts
Gold Member

I decided to order the 8 inch and 10 inch surrounds from Good HiFi. The surrounds I have received from them in my last few speaker repairs have worked out well so I figure I should stick with what has worked for me. I'll post pictures when I get the surrounds. Now I need to start cleaning up the MS150s and checking the crossover components.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
2,530 Posts
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 6:53 PM

First time I've seen that type of damping material in a Beovox speaker (white).  Even my CX50's had that low density gray stuff that I hate so much (found also in my M70's, S45-2's, and S40's).

Blah blah blah, blah blah ba ran

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,484 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 7:54 PM

sonavor:

The rubber stops on the M100 are mounted on the speakers rather than the stands. You will need to take this into account.

Peter

Page 2 of 15 (214 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS