Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Olive One

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 64 Replies | 1 Follower

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member
vikinger posted on Mon, Apr 1 2013 1:48 PM

Olive One is nearing its revised crowd funding target of $500k (42 hours to go, $487k received!)

If you opt to buy a $399 Olive One you will get a free 1TB cloud upgrade if they pass $500k. Looking at the rate that the funding has gone up in the past 48 hours they should reach that target (but make your own judgement!)

Note that with this crowd funding approach you make a contribution with no absolute guarantee that you will get the promised product.... but it might be  a reasonable risk having regard for how much you might get one for compared to previous/ existing Olive streaming devices (which, like B&O, are very expensive and not without their critics!)

Also note that if you accept the special offer of $25 off currently coming up when you first visit their website, (and which in the small print you cannot combine with any other offer)  it would seem that this offer will prevent you getting the 1TB upgrade without having to pay another $50 (because you didn't pay the $399....)

Free 1TB upgrade Quote: *Customers that have backed Olive ONE at the regular price of $399 only. All other backers can upgrade to 1TB for only $50.

Graham

Disclosure: I am about to order one!

All Replies

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
4,758 Posts
Bronze Member

Steffen:

Let's hope it doesn't end up like the 'Touch Diva' project...Whistle

Was there ever one?

Too long to list.... 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 10:48 AM

Olive have had a lot of hostile comments on their Indiegogo blog about the promise to upgrade customers to a 1TB hard disk if a certain funding level was reached, and their apparent withdrawal of this offer in the last couple of days.

According to the Indiegogo crowd funding rules, they are supposed to reach agreement with customers if they are unable to deliver a promised 'Perk', including the possibility of a full refund. What is infuriating about the current situation is that they only made the upgrade promise in April and got a lot of last minute funding because of it. They are still going to sell the Olive One with an optional 1TB HDD, so they can't argue that they can't deliver the 'Perk' because they did not succeed in developing it.

So the dilemma now facing a lot of customers: demand a refund under the Indiegogo rules, or accept that the Olive One without the HDD is still a good proposition at the price and spend £60 on your own external 1TB drive.

Now, if only B&O could offer a similar streaming music player at under $1000 I know which company would be getting my money..........

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

Still hoping Olive One is going to live up to expectations.

Two things worry me.

1. They rescheduled first deliveries to November.

2. They demanded extra payments for the 1TB upgrade that was supposed to be free. Their reasoning was that they had added a lot of other features not available at the time of the original offer.

I'll post a review if and when the thing arrives!

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

Just had an update from Olive one.

First prototypes have arrived. Prototype testing in December. Deliveries to crowd founder backers in first quarter 2014.

Considering that deliveries were originally scheduled for June 2013, it's not a very impressive performance. They seem to have added a lot of features. I've had an email with lots of embedded links. If I can find the original YouTube demos etc I will post them separately. They do not yet appear on the myoliveone.com website.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

symmes:

They have yet to deliver on anything except how to get money and publicity.

This continues to be the case.

Just had two apologetic emails from them saying that their mail server has been down for two weeks: this is their excuse for not replying to any queries since Christmas.

Latest is that first units are out... debugging going on after feedback ....... deliveries to Indiegogo backers during February ........ anyone ordering now will be March or later. 

Graham

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,193 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 10:33 AM

vikinger:

Considering that deliveries were originally scheduled for June 2013, it's not a very impressive performance. 

I backed one of those crowdsourced financed products over a year ago, with delivery expected end of 2013. Not heard a thing since. No status update, nothing. I've even forgotten the name of the project! They stopped emailing last Summer, as I've not seen anything for a good 6 months. I think I invested $100. It was some kind of device you can hide and embed in other objects, so you can track electronically if they are stolen - much like "find my iPhone". To be fair, I didn't need them, but they sounded cool at the time.

Not easy to trust some of these crowdsourced financed projects, where they rely on pre-orders up front to finance, before producing the product.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

symmes:

"Having said all that, the Olive One still promises to deliver high quality streaming at a very competitive price."

Fed X tracking number just received. It's on its way! 

Graham

symmes
Top 200 Contributor
244 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 8:49 PM

vikinger:

symmes:

"Having said all that, the Olive One still promises to deliver high quality streaming at a very competitive price."

Graham

Ha Ha! Next email will say Somali pirates have boarded the FedEx freighter carrying your unit and the Olive can be released for 1000 English Pounds ;-) 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

symmes:

vikinger:

symmes:

Graham

Ha Ha! Next email will say Somali pirates have boarded the FedEx freighter carrying your unit and the Olive can be released for 1000 English Pounds ;-) 

More likely will be the note through the door from the Royal Mail saying that the parcel is being held hostage pending my payment of Customs Duty, VAT, and Royal Mail's special handling fee. Unless, of course, they count it as an unsolicited gift and the Indiegogo crowd-funding payment as a donation.

Graham

symmes
Top 200 Contributor
244 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 10:37 PM

vikinger:

symmes:

vikinger:

symmes:

Graham

More likely will be the note through the door from the Royal Mail saying that the parcel is being held hostage pending my payment of Customs Duty, VAT, and Royal Mail's special handling fee. Unless, of course, they count it as an unsolicited gift and the Indiegogo crowd-funding payment as a donation.

Graham

That would be too much work for the US Mail. They would toss it before they went to that much trouble. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

It's arrived.

No pirate ransom.

No Import Duty.

No VAT.

Graham

EDIT But Fedex deliver first and invoice for VAT etc after.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

I think they've taken a cue from B&O and from Apple regarding the packing.

Very slim instructions in box lid.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

Lift the foam:

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
4,998 Posts
Bronze Member

Lift the cut-out paper:

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
450 Posts
Gold Member

So it does exist, still waiting for mine!

Page 2 of 5 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS