Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Suggestion for B&O loudspeaker branding strategy

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member
wonderfulelectric posted on Mon, Dec 24 2012 8:30 PM

I was just thinking about the Beolab 12 range. I think they should name the line as BeoWafer. As in wafer thin. The Beolab range is way too confusing now. Also it will give B&O some allowance for commercial flops if a line fails just like how sub brands function for other electronic brands. There's is some serious flaw in the current B&O branding strategy. Like it's hard now for the consumers to know what the loudspeakers strengths and weaknesses are offhand. They should brand the Beolab 5, 3, 9 differently from the column designs as they should brand the wall mounted range differently from the range that was from the 90s. With the product portfolio diversifying as they are now, differentiating each range from one another is essential. 

All Replies

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

I will really like to see B&O to come up with a more refined version of Beolab 3 but where will it sit in the current product range since performance is so dictated by price, size and bass extension and not in terms of quality? Really odd. 

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
3,942 Posts
Bronze Member
koning replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 10:34 AM

I 100% agree with you.

Beolab 6000 & 8000 are sounding very bad (for that kind of money)

Beolab3 is also overpriced.

For example, You can buy focal loudspeakers for 1/4 of the price of a b&o and the soundquality is much much better.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
363 Posts
Bronze Member
I do not ever buy bno for just sound quality
wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

B&O doesn't have bad sound quality. The beolab 3 for example is really the only solution in the market for the common man to have a pair of full sounding speakers sitting on their desk beside their computer without having them dominate the whole work area. But what about those who just want great sounding bookshelf speakers and are not too bothered about size or price even? You can take a look at a lot of other active bookshelf speakers out there that are way more pricey than the Beolab 3 and they deliver because they don't get dictated by size as much. B&O should really look at the latest servo technology from Dspeaker. It is amazing how far servo technology has gone and how about refining the Icepower modules for true high end performance? You will be surprised how much audiophiles are willing to fork out for good sound! And I think B&O can strike a middle ground between design, practicality and price if they play their cards right. They should create a line for the high-end market. They can quadruple the price of the Lab3s in exchange for a class leading and well designed set of high end active speakers. Best yet if they can be mounted on the wall easily and elegantly.

Magico minis sold very well despite being passive and priced as much as the Lab5s. I think B&O is taking the whole lifestyle approach a little too seriously. People are very tech savvy nowadays and there are better looking active speakers out there than what B&O has. The only lead that B&O has over them is the distribution, service and sales network, and they can totally afford the R&D to make state of the art no compromise speakers that look good too. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

And the Lab5s stand of the range by being the only loudspeakers in B&O that has digital input. Maybe B&O should consider creating a line that has that digital input DSP function? Audiophiles are usually very bugged by compromises. So why not make a line of non-compromising digital active loudspeakers? And create a digital wireless server that streams audiophile quality sources for those speakers? 

High end audio is extremely overpriced 100k for a pair of passive speakers barely raises eyebrows. B&O has the resources to outperform them with the current technology and resources they posses. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

When you prompt most people about what they think of when they think of B&O. The first thing that comes to mind wouldn't be TV. It would be stylish overpriced sound systems. Why don't B&O remove the overpriced part by creating the truly stylish and solidly built units as the high end super performing stereo line and create another line that is more like the Beoplay stylish but not as well built at the same time well performing. Kinda like matching looks with substance? It doesn't make sense to put cheap parts in expensive cases; case in point the Beolabs. It's true that expensive cases will help acoustic parameters but it can only do so much. B&O is playing it way too safe with their product range. It's neither here nor there. 

Most audiophile loudspeakers out there that will match the beolab range aesthetically will cost a fortune because they will have the components to live up to the looks. So why isn't B&O following the ethos of matching style, performance, built and substance?

IMHO I think most of the efforts have went to developing the TV range and they do deliver picture quality wise but that's not what people think of when they think of B&O. And the TVs cost a lot more to produce and are priced a lot more than the audio components. I just don't see the logic.  B&O should make efforts into capturing the audiophile market instead. Higher markups and matches the brand image. 

I shall look forward to one day own a pair of high end B&O no compromise audiophile active loudspeaker. Hopefully before I start owning my own luxury apartment. Well there's Meridian but meridian don't exactly have a speaker to boast about stylistically or technologically. 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
563 Posts
Bronze Member

... Otherwise I will start up my own high concept audiophile line that will send B&O to the cleaners. 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,371 Posts
Gold Member
To me the BL12 is more like the Beolab Arc because of the shape when you look from

Above.

I think there will be a BL3 replacement.

I would be totally amazed if they made a BL5 replacement that mimicked the bL20 but raised from the ground to reveal a speaker. So it had some movement.

I think the strategy is fine however perhaps there is confusion as there are Beoplay speakers that are also NL. Aka BS9 ? But maybe that's down to the materials than anything.

It would be interesting to see a no compromised range if I understand what you're saying. There are so many other brands out there that are just passive and they command even higher prices.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS