rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

cgyyyc
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
cgyyyc posted on Tue, Dec 5 2017 1:17 AM

Hello I am new to the forum.

I have always be a huge fan of Bang and Olufsen and finally came across some affordable equipment.  Here is the catch, it was from a friend of a friend doing a reno and they had already tossed ...yes I know lets shake our heads... some of the equipment before they caught wind that I was interested.  So with all that in mind I have a mix of equipment.  I have the sound system speakers (BeoLab 1), parts of a home theatre system (BeoMedia 1 etc) and I think part of a multi-room system. 

My goal is to be able to hook up my Sony record player (just had it repaired so I am not looking to change it) and be able to play music either from my phone and/or computer through the beautiful BeoLab 1 speakers.

Here is the list of what I have:

Two BeoLab 1 Speakers

One BeoMedia 1

Beo 4 Remote

Two ML Distributor Boxes

One ML/MCL Converter (& Amplifier?) Item # 1165366

Five BeoLink Passive (Amplifiers?) Item # 1165866

each BeoLink has an IR receiver 

Six ML Cables

Six Power Cables (look like they are for the BeoLink Passive and ML/MCL Converter)

I have no other equipment or cables.  My thought was to save it all from the dump (price was right) and if I need to sell+buy or trade for the right equipment I can.

So with that inventory in mind can I use the Beomedia 1 as something like a receiver to connect my record player, aux and/or (gravy on top) computer?  What new equipment and cables do I need? I would like to not have to use a TV.

Sorry if some of this may be obvious but we all have to start somewhere! :)

Thanks in advance!!!!

All Replies

Pat
Not Ranked
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Tue, Dec 5 2017 11:43 PM
The first thing you do is to chuck this beomedia :-)
cgyyyc
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Why is that?

Also there is a Beomaster 2000 for sale in my city but I am thinking that is too old to work with the beolab speakers?

Could the speakers work with say a Technics receiver?  I think my folks may have a spare (old) one

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
779 Posts
Gold Member

Hi cgyyyc,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Your Beolab 1 speakers can be made to work effectively with ANY amplifier, receiver, TV or music player that has any of the following connections fitted:-

1) Powerlink sockets

2) Conventional speaker terminals

3) Headphone socket

That includes the Beomaster 2000 and pretty much every Technics receiver, plus many other devices.  Please let me know which model of receiver or amplifier you wish to use and I will be pleased to advise on how to connect everything.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

cgyyyc
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Steve,

Can I make use of the Beomedia 1 +Beo 4 or is that more effort than its worth, would I need it connected to the TV?  If the beomedia wont work, then I would probably consider the Beomaster 2000, as i like the looks (and price).  BUT would it be simpler with the Technics receiver?  I am looking for less headache but I feel a B&O receiver and speakers would be nice if it is not too hard.

As for an amplifier I am not sure if, and if so how large of an amplifier(s) the speakers require but I do have the BeoLinks that I would like to make use of 

Regards,

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
779 Posts
Gold Member

Hi cgyyyc,

Beomedia isn't ideal in this setup, if you want to use the Beolink across several rooms then the only viable option is to get a newer Beosound music system (eg. Beosound Ouverture) that has a Masterlink connnection to drive a networked B&O system.

The Beomaster or the Technics receiver could be used directly with the speakers in one room, but not linked to other rooms.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,583 Posts
Gold Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Dec 7 2017 2:01 PM

Beomedia 1 is for the museum only.

Original intent was to be able to access your music files, photos and internet radio stations and distribute the music over Masterlink and show the images on a Beovision. 

There are so many better ways to do the same thing today both easier and with better quality.

cgyyyc
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input Folks,

I guess Ill try and sell the beomedia for cheap.

I don't need multi room, so Steve, it sounds like then all I need is the Beolab speakers the Beomaster 2000 or technics reciever and then some cables, no extra amplifiers right?  I thought the beolab 1 had amplifiers built in?

Steve can you let me know the cables needed for each option.  My record player has what I believe is the RCA audio connections (the two stereo wires).  I like the appeal of the beomaster because it comes with a remote and it sounds like there are two cables, for aux to rca to 8pin, so that sounds like that would allow me to connect my phone.  Also the Beomaster is beautiful and it would allow me to have a full b&o set up.

And a reminder the beolab 1 speakers came with no cables at all.

Thanks again for the input, it is very very much appreciated.

Oh ps can I use the beo 4 remote with the Beomaster 2000 or is that too much wishful thinking?

Regards,

Owen

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
779 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your reply.  Cabling for either the Beomaster 2000 or the Technics receiver would normally be the same, unless the receiver has pre-out sockets fitted (in this case please let me know, as it would make the connections simpler)

For the Beomaster, or a receiver that doesn't have pre-out sockets fitted, you can connect the speakers by one of the two methods below:-

1) Connect two speakers to the headphone socket of the receiver with this cable: http://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/77--trs-2rca-.html

2) Connect two speakers to the red and black speaker terminals on the back of the receiver using this special Attenuated Converter: http://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/33--attenuator-.html and then use this cable to connect the speakers to the output sockets of the Converter: http://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/6-av-processor-pre-amp-sonos-to-beolab-rca-line-in.html

(Please email me to request a free pair of 2 pin DIN plugs if using the Beomaster)

Option 1 is cheaper, but the cable will be visible at the front of the receiver and this will disable any other speakers connected to the receiver.  Option 2 allows the cables to be hidden and the Beolab speakers can be used along with your other speakers if required.

Please set both speakers to “Line” mode using the small switch near the input sockets.  If you don’t already have the mains power cables for the B&O system and speakers, you can see these here:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=mains&submit_search=

Kind regards, 
Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

cgyyyc
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
cgyyyc replied on Thu, Dec 7 2017 11:13 PM

hmm right now the the option 1 looks the most appealing and I think the Beomaster 2000 has the jack on the back, but I'll double check that.

For the power jack for the beolab 1 speakers, does the figure eight power cable work for it?  because the jack has a square on one side

What would be the best cable for record player to the beomaster 2000?

Thanks again,

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
779 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Owen,

Yes, you can use normal figure-8 power cables, don't worry about the square edge on the socket.

If you can please let me know the model number of your record player, I will be pleased to advise how to connect this to the Beomaster 2000.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

cgyyyc
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
cgyyyc replied on Mon, Dec 11 2017 9:23 PM

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the slow reply, things have been busy.

So I bit the bullet and bought the beomaster 2000, it is a beautiful machine.  It came with an adaptor for the 5 or 7 pin connection (can’t recall how many pins right now) to male RCA and a Female RCA to aux/3.5 mm the fellow said that he used that to play from his ipod/phone.

The Sony Record player is a PS-T30, it has the red and white male RCA connections.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like I shall use the https://www.soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/77--trs-2rca-.html cable to connect the BeoLab 1s to the Beomaster.  Then could I can get a female to female RCA connection and connect the record player to the “5 or 7 pin connection to male RCA”?  I would be ok manually changing the cables between record player and aux.  or how much would a 5/7pin (what ever it is) to the female RCA be?

Thanks

Owen

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
779 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Owen,

This sounds like a good plan!  The Sony turntable will connect to the Phono input of the Beomaster with this cable (please email me to request free female RCA adapters when you order the cable):-

https://www.soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/52--2rca-5pd-.html

Your iPhone can then connect to the Tape input of the Beomaster with this cable:-

https://www.soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67--trs-5pd-.html

This cable will connect a pair of Beolab 1 speakers to the Beomaster headphone socket (please email me to request a free 6.35mm headphone adapter when you order this cable):-

https://www.soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/77--trs-2rca-.html

Please set both speakers to Line mode using the small switch under each speaker.  If you don't already have the mains power cables for the speakers, please let me know.

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS