rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 0 Replies | 1 Follower

Thornsjo
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
Thornsjo posted on Fri, Nov 10 2017 8:03 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Enquiry: I have an Ambiophonic Control Unit from the mid-70s, for many years used in a "4.1" configuration using 4 Cizek bookshelf speakers (built with Koa wood and had rounded corners; excellent dispersion) and using an Audio Pro B250 subwoofer to round out the speaker suite.  The speakers were driven by a McIntosh MA5100 integrated amp that could drive THREE speaker sets at TWO ohms, had a pre-amp out loop to tie in the sub.  It had incredible input/output and speaker selection capability; I mean, imagine you could feed both channels to one, or one to both - why, go figure but that was how over the top flexible this was.

Anyway, not to drone on about that delicious system. as sadly the McIntosh is gone.  But that gets to the point of my inquiry:  I still have the speakers, but the replacement receiver, which is an Outlaw RR2150, excellent unit, warns against putting less than 4 Ohms resistance when running both A and B pairs of speakers simultaneously.  If I hook up the Ambio unit as I used to with the (as low as 2-Ohm) McIntosh amp, so four speakers on one channel, does the Ambio unit keep the 4-Ohm resistance level or is it transparent such that the four speakers now are drawing at only 2 Ohms?  See what I'm getting at here?  I don't want to blow out my new Outlaw receiver's amp...

Hopefully there's someone still there, or a spec in a file somewhere, that'll tell me if the unit simply spits the signal, thus halving the resistance, or if it keeps the resistance up as if only two speakers were on line.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS