rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

RikH
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
RikH posted on Wed, Nov 8 2017 8:29 AM

Hey everyone

I just recently got my grandfather's old Beogram 6500 turntable after he passed away a couple of years ago. I had an issue with it, which I solved using this thread: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/14862/130782.aspx#130782

I managed to fix it, but now it seems like the plate is spinning slightly too slowly (I hear some distortion when playing a record) and I can hear the plate dragging against the side (I think). It's the sound of metal sliding against other metal.

Also, when I hit stop, the arm goes back to the right position, but seems to want to go further and makes some weird kind of noise.

I tried to take a video of it, to help explain what is happening. You have to turn up the sound quite high to hear it though.

Any help is more than welcome.

(Link, in case the embeded video doesn't work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8A2tvt058dbG6GMI2 )

Format: ???
Duration: 0:41

All Replies

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,062 Posts
Founder

First, make sure that the transit screws are fully unwound.

The drag is probably caused by the suspension springs sagging a bit with age or because they have been locked in the transit position for a long time.

They are adjustable via 3 screws which are visible when you remove the platter and the serrated rear cover. The platter should sit about 2mm above the surrounding body of the deck..

I would recommend that you contact member Dillen who will be happy to supply a new set of drive belts which are probably required to bring the speed up to spec.

The set down position also requires adjustment. This is a bit more complicated but is described fully in the service manual, which is available on this site, to silver and gold members.

Regards Graham

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
263 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

for me it sound like the record is sanding on the edge of the hole for the platter. So the subchassis is hanging bit too low and not even. And you fixed the ribbon for the arm? First the needle does not reach the start of the record (and reaches stop position too early > crack  > crack  > crack). And the tonearm swings a little bit, when it comes to the stop position

RikH
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
RikH replied on Wed, Nov 8 2017 7:58 PM

I have the service manual available physically (my grandfather liked to fix things himself as well), so I'll check that out. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow, thanks for the reply!

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
818 Posts
Bronze Member

RikH:

Hey everyone

I just recently got my grandfather's old Beogram 6500 turntable after he passed away a couple of years ago. I had an issue with it, which I solved using this thread: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/14862/130782.aspx#130782

I managed to fix it, but now it seems like the plate is spinning slightly too slowly (I hear some distortion when playing a record) and I can hear the plate dragging against the side (I think). It's the sound of metal sliding against other metal.

Also, when I hit stop, the arm goes back to the right position, but seems to want to go further and makes some weird kind of noise.

I tried to take a video of it, to help explain what is happening. You have to turn up the sound quite high to hear it though.

Any help is more than welcome.

(Link, in case the embeded video doesn't work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8A2tvt058dbG6GMI2 )

[Please visit the original post to view the video]

Regarding the noise it makes when going back. This is most likely the white plastic tap that holds the wire on the sledge. This breaks, and if it does not break completely off, then the alignment is wrong, and the gears does not move completely to the stop position.

You can check it by removing the platter, and move the sledge manually towards the middle. It s located next to the spring on the wire.

If it is broken, then you need to remove it completely, and you can then replace it with a small bolt and nut that is secured below the hole.

I have done this a few times, it works perfectly.

You cannot glue the old plastic tap, it will never hold.

Also, when adjusting the height of the platter, the sledge needs to be positioned to the center of the platter, with pickup attached. This is also mentioned in the service manual.

It is easier to adjust the height if you remove the top lid of the Beogram, then it is just matter of adjusting by removing platter, adjusting screws, put platter back on and measure. This is probably needed a few times to set all 3 screws to the correct height.

/Jacob

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS