rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 0 Followers

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
jgharrison86 posted on Sat, Nov 4 2017 10:46 AM

Hello,

Firstly please forgive my ignorance on this matter - I am something of a novice regarding b+o turntables.

I recently acquired a Beogram 6500, but realised when unpacking it, that it has taken a serious knock in transit. 

The first thing I noticed was that the stylus had taken a hit and been knocked out of position up through the cantilever. I have since sent the cartridge off to FJS tonabnehmerservice to be inspected and fixed.

Secondly, when I connect the turntable, the tone arm doesn't move at all. I'm not sure whether the servo is simply not functioning or there is another issue.

Finally, the lid seemed to be loose and out of place, and when lifting it, I realised that the tubular plastic mounts (on both sides) have broken. Scanning the internet, I haven't managed to find any replacements for these. Would anybody happen to know of where I could find these? or would it be best to look of for a another faulty turntable to salvage them from?

I don't feel at all experienced enough to start tinkering too much, so could anybody recommend somebody who might be able to undertake these repairs? I'm based between London and Paris.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John-Gabriel

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,644 Posts
Founder

I can probably find the hinge parts in the dungeons.
But check the rest of the deck first.
You need to have a record on the platter when you check it!

Martin

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,062 Posts
Founder

Your vendor did not pack the turntable correctly for transit, this is common with these turntables and is not the fault of the shipper.

I suggest that you contact the vendor and demand a refund as repair is near impossible.

Regards Graham

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

thanks for your response. That could hopefully save me (partially!)

I'll keep you posted on how I get on with the rest of the deck.

thanks again,

John-Gabriel

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Graham,

thanks for your reply.

Yes it was indeed the fault of the vendor. We came to an agreement for a partial refund, as I was hopeful/desperate to get the thing going again. 

Which part of the repair is near impossible?

Best,

John-Gabriel

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,062 Posts
Founder

The hinges are fixed to the base by set screws that are inserted into threaded inserts moulded into the base material. The plastic surrounding the inserts breaks and the insert becomes loose.

Is this why your hinges are loose? 

Regards Graham

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello - it's the plastic tubular pieces in the back corners of the deck, in which the brass screws sit in, which have broken - without taking the body of the deck apart, I'm imagining these are part of something bigger Sad

see photo...

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,644 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Nov 5 2017 12:32 PM

I just had a deck with the same problem on the bench here,.
Strong 2-comp. epoxy glue is what you need. I like to use Araldite Standard, the white/blue slow setting type.
If you cannot glue the brass insert back into the plastic chassis and add some support, you can simply glue the
metal bracket to the deck surface.

Martin

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,062 Posts
Founder

This exactly the area that I am attempting to describe in my post.

It is impossible to expose any more of the broken part without completely wrecking the deck.

One suggestion that worked for me on a number of occasions is to buy a cosmetically challenged and cheap Beogram 5005 or similar brushed aluminium deck and build your 6500 parts into it.

NB All type 59xx decks are the same under the skin (some early examples do not have fixing points for the RIAA preamplifier) .

Regards Graham

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin - thanks for the tip. I will look into carefully re-affixing the broken plastic parts with araldite.

Graham - this could also be a good avenue, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one...

Would you guys know anybody who could undertake the work? I also have the problem of the arm not moving, and don't know why this is. I'd happily pay somebody to get it up and running again...

thank you both for all of your help so far!

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin - thanks for the tip. I will look into carefully re-affixing the broken plastic parts with araldite.

Graham - this could also be a good avenue, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one...

Would you guys know anybody who could undertake the work? I also have the problem of the arm not moving, and don't know why this is. I'd happily pay somebody to get it up and running again...

thank you both for all of your help so far!

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Anybody able to help? 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,644 Posts
Founder

Where on the planet are you?

Martin

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

I live in Paris, but am from the UK, so travel to London/Cambridge fairly frequently. 

jgharrison86
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Would anybody be able to help me diagnose the arm not moving?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS