Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Use Beolit 700 as external speaker.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Stimone
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Stimone posted on Wed, Nov 1 2017 12:03 PM

Hi all, 

I am the proud owner of a 1972 Beolit 700 which I would love to use as an external speaker to play music from my smartphone (the sound is just so good).

I thought any din to jack 3,5 cable would do the trick, but with a regular cable bought off the internet, the sound is muffled and useless. 

Should I purchase a better quality cable or is there something I need to know ? I know I can have a cable made in a well-know cable shop in Paris, but I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks very much for your help !

Stimone

All Replies

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
1,119 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 1 2017 1:24 PM

Two thoughts:

- Is the volume at full on the smartphone? (This is how you would usually use such a setup, controlling the volume with the Beolit)

- Is the DIN to Jackplug lead an input rather than output?  You need to be sure that the 3.5mm plug is connected to the input pins of the Beolit's DIN connector.

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
1,119 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 1 2017 1:26 PM

And I should have said, if in doubt about leads speak to Steve at Sounds Heavenly (site sponsor below) - I think he offers free worldwide shipping!

I suspect that you need this: https://www.soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67--trs-5pd-.html

Stimone
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your kind reply, Guy.

I will get in touch with Sounds Heavenly!

As for your question:

"Is the DIN to Jackplug lead an input rather than output? You need to be sure that the 3.5mm plug is connected to the input pins of the Beolit's DIN connector."

I don't know how to answer this. How am I supposed to tell whether it's an input rather an output?

I think it's just easier for me to get a new better quality lead, as you suggested.

Thanks!

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
1,119 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 1 2017 6:59 PM

This may help: https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B003OSNVC4

The fourth Amazon picture/diagram shows the correct wiring of the lead.  You could check the continuity of your current lead with a multimeter, if you have one.

Maybe buy this cheap Amazon version to see if it works, and then replace with a better quality cable from Steve.

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
1,119 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 1 2017 7:46 PM

A quick question (others may be able to help!): How are you selecting the AUX input on the Beolit 700?  Do you have the User Manual - I can't find it on the site?

I searched the forum and discovered that on the Beolit 707 you select AUX by pressing FM and MW down together - is this what you are doing on the 700?

Stimone
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, I press both buttons on the 700 as well!

Thanks for the link.

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
329 Posts
Gold Member

Just tried it with my Beolit 700 and my old iPod, you're right it does sound really good 

Stimone
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

bidstonhall:

Just tried it with my Beolit 700 and my old iPod, you're right it does sound really good 

That's good to know! 

Are you using just any old cable? What do you usually use it for?

I just bought a cable from Sounds Heavenly as suggested by Guy. I'll let you know when I receive it here in France.

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
329 Posts
Gold Member

Yes I just used a cable I had lying around and it was fine 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
753 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Stimone,

Looking at the archives, there were a couple of versions of Beolit 700, each with different wiring on the Tape input socket.  I would suggest going for the standard DIN cable (as mentioned earlier in the thread - thanks for the recommendation guys!), then if you don't get stereo sound I can modify the cable to the alternative wiring for you free of charge:-

https://www.soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67--trs-5pd-.html

And yes, I do post free to anywhere in the World, plus I offer a 60 day money-back promise so that you can get a refund if you change your mind for any reason.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS