Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Amazing choice of pre-owned Bang and Olufsen

Got a problem with the Forum?
then please email me at keith@beoworld.org with details

Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Beogram 4000 broken cartridge mount replacement

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 240
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
MrRoast Posted: Sat, Oct 28 2017 3:46 PM

Feeling inspired by Craig's work on my BM6000 I decided to be proactive whilst the kids are busy with Minecraft!

A few years ago I bought a boxed Beogram 4000 and was excited to see it playing when I collected it. However, after getting it home and removing the cartridge I found it had a broken and glued mount which had finally given up the ghost Sad - the seller never mentioned this surprisingly! Whistle

Being really disappointed I put it straight into storage and consoled myself with several glasses of wine!

After following Beolover's blog and his efforts to create a replacement part I got in touch with Rudy and bought one of his finished items but alas I never summoned up the courage to get stuck in!

Well today I have!

What a beautiful sight - the BG4000 is my favourite piece of B&O design, both aesthetically and engineering wise.

Not such a beautiful sight.

Preparing to remove the arm...

Oh and this make-do-and-mend repair will be going too - I have one of Nick's (Solderon) machined aluminium pulleys to go on here.

Taking pictures as I go is definitely helpful as I always end up with bits left over if I don't!

Fiddly job ahead for a novice like me!

Oh and this will need a repair - fortunately I have the missing bit!

Apprehensively unsoldering the tonearm wires...

...and the awkward ones underneath (I pretty much fluked this! Big Smile )

And it's off.

Obligatory boiling shot.

With forceful shove of a sawn-off skewer the assembly popped out.

Rudy's replacement part next to the original broken one.

Somehow managed to solder the fiddly wires to the new part with my basic level technique - tested the continuity and all is OK. I need to get some kind of illuminated magnifying glass as doing this with the naked eye was really tricky!

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 509
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:06 PM

£40 from Maplin.....articulated arm and fluorescent tube light

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 509
OFFLINE
Silver Member

helps to add the picture........


MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 240
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:11 PM

Ahhh perfect - exactly what I need! My eyes are strained enough looking at a computer screen all day. 

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 509
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:12 PM

Your repair looks to be going very well......keep at it Yes - thumbs up

solderon29
Top 200 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 322
OFFLINE
Gold Member

Well done sir,quite an achievement.

Rudy(and Martin)are  tenacious solver's of Beoproblems !

Your BG4000 appears to be in remarkably good condition too.There are probably other "usual suspects" that will need attention,but enjoy the deck for a while first?

Regards,

Nick

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 240
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 9:45 AM

Thanks chaps!

Yes hats off to Rudy for his exceptional skill and innovation and Martin for his sheer knowledge when it comes to B&O! I, like many others on the forum, have benefitted no end from their experience.

For me vintage B&O items are like classic cars; I have a garage full of barn finds but nothing concourse level yet! Big Smile

This morning I've reinserted the new mount + cartridge back into the tonearm with a little bit of glue so will now give it time to set before resoldering the wires. With any luck I'll get one of those magnifier lamps in time!

 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,590
OFFLINE
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:12 AM

Well done! You’ll see the pulley is a treat. Don’t forget Martin’s belt!

Jacques

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 240
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:13 AM

My Heath Robinson setup to get the slider indicator aligned up with the broken off end bit - hopefully won't get knocked by anyone before it cures!

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 240
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:16 AM

Thanks Jacques - I have a pulley belt that I got from Martin somewhere! I'll need a drive belt at some point too! 

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 240
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 2:53 PM

Giving the keypad a clean...

...and back together

Popped in Nick's pulley and re lubricated the threads.

Whipped out the lowering damping mechanism to give it a good clean and lubrication.

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 240
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Sat, Nov 4 2017 3:08 PM

With the weekend here it's given me the chance to get the arm reconnected. This was easier than I'd anticipated with the use of my new piece of kit!

I used a mirror to see the underside of the circuitboard for the two bottom wires.

Next job will be the mechanical adjustments although it seems some of the buttons on the control panel aren't working, and I stupidly broke the end of the freshly epoxied indicator arm again Sad

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS