rated by 0 users
This post has 61 Replies | 0 Followers

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,739
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Oct 27 2017 2:38 PM

Hyundai approached their perception problem various ways, perhaps the most impressive to me involved warranties. They offered a longer warranty than most companies, which had two main effects. First, it soothed any worries buyers might have had, figuring if it broke they wouldn't have to pay for the repairs. Secondly, and this is the part I find impressive, by doing this and making sure any failures came back to the dealer to be repaired, they created a huge real world data collection opportunity. There's only so much accelerated aging testing and environmental testing can actually tell you, you try and make sure that whatever test you do simulates tens of thousands of miles of real world driving but there's a limit to how accurate it it. By extending the warranty and taking the data on repairs from the warranty claim repairs, they got a huge amount of information from the real world on what was breaking and what needed attention in the design and quality of the cars and their components. Brilliant.

Not sure how much this is applicable to the world of consumer electronics, but long warranties and being able to get things repaired would be nice for a B&O level product, it seems lately that whenever problems pop up B&O drops the product and moves on, leaving you with a short warranty and no way to get many things repaired. Battery for a Beolit 12 anyone?

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,302
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Oct 27 2017 7:13 PM

Having spoken to an acquaintance who works for a dealership in Hyundai aftersales I'd say the cars aren't a quality product. He says to just throw the things away after the warranty runs out because they're rubbish. Audio visual products are probably different but increasingly seen as disposable , especially TVs which become obsolete too often for the durability of a quality item. B&O hopefully support their products pretty well to avoid obsolescence and offering a long warranty just gives the impression they'll break. I think the support software and even supplying updated screens to make a tv more of an "investment " again could be an answer. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 516
Bronze Member
BAND'OH! replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 2:44 AM

I drove a 2009 model Hyundai i10 from new up until March this year when I finally traded it in against an Fiat Abarth 595. In all those years of ownership I never had a single problem. It had a yearly service, the most expensive of which was £102 including labour from the main dealership. Best car I have ever driven in my life in terms of reliability, economically and the fun factor too! Pretty nippy for a 1.2 and great on motorways. Road tax was £30 only and mpg was amazing. Not sure if the current i10s are of the same quality and reliability but my goodness what a great little car, which is why I hung onto it for so long. If it ain't broke... !

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,302
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 10:34 AM

You got rid as the warranty ran out, as my aquaintance recommends! 

The opposite to B&O I suggest. You just add to it and eventually replace the obsolete TV. As we have discovered recently from Lee the resale of used B&O has changed but the products have integrity and probably outlast their competitors. That's their appeal and I was told their business model which starts with the sale of a TV to which is then added speakers etc.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,739
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 5:31 PM

Simonbeo:

You got rid as the warranty ran out, as my aquaintance recommends! 

The opposite to B&O I suggest. You just add to it and eventually replace the obsolete TV. As we have discovered recently from Lee the resale of used B&O has changed but the products have integrity and probably outlast their competitors. That's their appeal and I was told their business model which starts with the sale of a TV to which is then added speakers etc.

Given the number of issues reported here of late, plus the fact parts are not available for even recent things (Beolit 12 batteries for example) I don't believe that still holds true. As for Hyundai, my sister-in-law has had very good results with hers, as have many other people I know. A car which runs flawlessly for eight years, as BAND'OH's did, is not that common sadly.

Jeff

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,302
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 6:59 PM

Beoplay obsolescence is another matter!

The Beolit 12 had more B&O quality about it than the 15 but eventually both became obsolete and they're not "Bang & Olufsen" branded . The B&O logo also appears on the new Ford audio upgrades so most will assume it is Bang and Olufsen rather than Beoplay. 

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 11:10 PM

Just to add some touch of reality to B&O positivity ... Beomaster 5 / Beosound 5 are absolutely in a mess right now. Seems like many users are having issues with Network connectivity and total indifference of B&O to Mac Users on the software side. If my unit dies tomorrow, I am not even holding a wake.

At one time I had assumed that B&O supports their products like Porsche does for their cars but it is not so, I was talking to my B&O technician and he mentioned that many parts of Beosound 9000 CD changer are now not available . If something goes bad, it may not be repairable. Reason this topic came up because I was seriously considering buying one for the sake of Iconic Design and coolness factor. Now not so..

Thanks to Geoff Martin that we have the BL 50 and that is my end of positivity on B&O. Absolutely love BL 50 (and BL5 and BV9) but this is the end as far as I know.

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,739
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Oct 28 2017 11:26 PM

Simonbeo:

Beoplay obsolescence is another matter!

The Beolit 12 had more B&O quality about it than the 15 but eventually both became obsolete and they're not "Bang & Olufsen" branded . The B&O logo also appears on the new Ford audio upgrades so most will assume it is Bang and Olufsen rather than Beoplay. 

Yeah, how dare those smelly plebeians expect support and quality from a Beo Play product.

Jeff

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,331
Gold Member
BeoGreg replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:09 AM

svinaik:

Thanks to Geoff Martin that we have the BL 50 and that is my end of positivity on B&O. Absolutely love BL 50 (and BL5 and BV9) but this is the end as far as I know.

There’s the story of the BL 50 in the Magazine number 6 and the name of Mr MARTIN doesn’t appear once. Strange.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,929
Bronze Member

There is a bunch of people working in the Acoustic Department in Struer.

If I remember well, there are 14 at the moment - Geoff Martin is one of these.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,929
Bronze Member

Might be even more, now that I think of it.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,929
Bronze Member

And if if you are loking for a story about the BL50 with the name MARTIN mentioned (several times), have a look here:

http://blog.bang-olufsen.com/the-best-possible-computer-sound/beolab50

So, nothing ‘strange’ there.

MM

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,331
Gold Member
BeoGreg replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 6:21 PM

Well, whatever it is said in a blog, I just find it strange that in the official catalog with a story of the speaker development and a few guys names, there’s not the MARTIN name in it. The Tonmeister.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Gold Member
KMA replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 6:53 PM

BeoGreg:

Well, whatever it is said in a blog, I just find it strange that in the official catalog with a story of the speaker development and a few guys names, there’s not the MARTIN name in it. The Tonmeister.

Peculiar, indeed. It could mean nothing, or it could be a sign of change. It could be that some things were uncertain at the time Magazine no 6 went to press. 

This is pure speculation, but perhaps Geoff Martin has achieved the apex in his contribution to B&O with the audio diamonds of BL90 and BL50, and he is about to embark on new endeavours.

Mr. Martin has passionate ambition with audio, and maybe he has outlived the possibilities B&O can offer him as a platform to bring his passion alive.

Hopefully he will stay with B&O and work on BL30 and other future offspring of BL90/BL50, as well as ”lesser” future BeoLabs / BeoSounds.

As always, time will tell.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,929
Bronze Member

@KMA

Please don’t start any false rumours.

MM

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Gold Member
KMA replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 7:03 PM

Millemissen:

@KMA

Please don’t start any false rumours.

MM

Just pure speculation, Millemissen, as I said in my post. I don’t mean it as a rumor of any kind.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 1,681
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 7:40 PM

KMA:

Just pure speculation, 

But why ?

Peter Pan
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 787
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 8:18 PM

Millemissen skriver -

@KMA

Vær venlig ikke at starte falske rygter.

MM
---------------------------------
KMA skrev - ren spekulation,

Men hvad rager det dig ? Millemissen  No - thumbs down

Peter Pan
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 787
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 8:32 PM

Hovsa Google svigtede -

Millemissen - hvad er en marionetdukke er for en  ?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,929
Bronze Member

This thread is in english, please write in english....for the sake of those, who don’t understand danish.

MM

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 516
Bronze Member
BAND'OH! replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 10:46 PM

Big Smile

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 876
Gold Member
CB replied on Mon, Oct 30 2017 7:00 AM

9 LEE:
I need enlightening, and so do many people on here.  

Over to you...

About positive talk, this (old) thread was not bad at all The Man

Page 2 of 2 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS