rated by 0 users
This post has 61 Replies | 0 Followers

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 6,753
Founder
9 LEE Posted: Sun, Oct 22 2017 7:06 PM

Many people have commented that this forum has become a place to moan about B&O, the brand, the company, the management and so on.

So, I'm going to take the lead and ask for some positivity, to balance things up!  

It's been posted on here that employees of B&O have been metaphorically bouncing off the walls with excitement and enthusiasm about the future - so let's try and see what they seem to be seeing!

What are Bang & Olufsen doing really well right now, and what exciting developments can you see for the future?

I need enlightening, and so do many people on here.  

Over to you... (MM - this is your stage, go for it!)

Emil Jensen
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 195
Bronze Member

I think that it is very positive that they are up to speed now on the picture front, with their partnership with LG. I am excited to see the TV's to come, and how software will improve.

Seeing them launch Beolab 50 also makes me happy. it shows that it is not only Beoplay the good old Brand still get some attention.

I hope to buy a B&O television next year my Beolab 20 could use the company :D

Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Transmitter 1

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,739
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 22 2017 7:22 PM

Kind of like being on the Titanic and saying "oh, enough complaining, at least we have plenty of ice for the champagne!" Stick out tongue

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 100
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Sun, Oct 22 2017 7:53 PM

I think it's more a matter of the times, stuff moves so fast that the only way to stay premium and above water if you are smaller scale is to (alas) ignore the likes of us and go for the multimillionaire class.

On the other hand:

• I've worked with people who heard me mention my B&O and they recognised it with due respect
  • My wife is ok with me buying a B&O setup when we move, which must mean even someone like her still sees it as special and not just an expensive hobby
  • Much as I hate the wood stuff (because I have young children with crayons!) I think the current range looks really good and different
  • I get the impression that there are occasional quality issues, the stuff that works will last you years to come in a way that other brands don't (dead pixels, busted speakers etc)
  • Apple has a lot of money but Tim Cook might be on the way out and if he is indeed ousted, they might fingers crossed get a BeoPhile as CEO ;)

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,920
Gold Member

Hay

I have some positives I want to share

1. I can still trade in my B&O items for a half decent value for new items

2. The beta team for the BLGW is excellent and the progress it has had over the last 12 months is excellent

3. NL has become what I missed / lost when ML started to disappear with no clear successor

4. The brand still has the wow factor when mentioned to anyone

5. New products still amaze and they ensure interoperability between play and main brand.

6. They innovate old products into new NL

7. Speakers are still current and sound excellent

8. Beocreate are innovating ideas to reuse old speakers.

I still love this brand, they are still here in a very fickle competitive world.

BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,302
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Oct 22 2017 9:14 PM

Good to see a return to form with the recent B&O magazine. The mix of items including some customer homes was good to receive from the dealer. It will probably hang around the house and remind me to consider a purchase more than the constant e-mails from Beoplay.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 876
Gold Member
CB replied on Sun, Oct 22 2017 9:26 PM

Beosound Shape : band off the wall... B&O employees : bounce off the wall Unsure

Walls seem to have a certain importance at B&O Wink

≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ 

9 LEE:
what exciting developments can you see for the future?
For me, B&O is certainly the brand that is about to surprise us. They're able to think about future uses or habits, like they did by needing only one remote for everything and for several generation of gears, like they did with the multiroom several decades ago, like they did with the mood wheel of the Moment, like they did by "easily" taking in account room calibration, like they are doing with the BS Shape (I have great hopes on futures developments of it !). They're able to think about the future, but also (and that's a very important point) to think for it to last !

I don't "see" what they're going to do, but I'm confident.

≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ 

As we use to say, "music hath charms to soothe the savage ßreast" then why not spending more time in the "what's playing right now" thread instead of moaning elsewhere? Afterall, listening to music is why we have B&O speakers... Think positive Yes - thumbs up

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Sun, Oct 22 2017 10:40 PM

Well, if there was nothing good, we would not be wasting our time discussing B&O.

Not just good , but great is the speaker line up. BL 50 have really made me recommitt my loyalty to B&O... not that I had lost any...

On the other side, B&O lost me on the TV side. I am sad to say that me BV 9 will be my last BV. I have already moved on to Loewe for new gen technologies like OLED.

milkypete
Not Ranked
Kongens Lyngby, DK
Posts 34
Gold Member
milkypete replied on Sun, Oct 22 2017 10:46 PM

CB - I see you are super strong in the "what's playing now" thread, but just find it funny you posted 'listening to music is why we have B&O speakers'.  I admit I'm absolutely new to the hobby/forums, but I love the systems.  I feel bad that B&O has become strictly a speaker company, and lost the amps, turntables, and even tape decks that first attracted me.  I wish they would produce some sort of Back to the Future anniversary Beocenter or Beosystem!  :)

BM5000, BG5005, BC5000, BG(cd)5500 via MCP5000 w/ RL60.2.  BC9500 via BL1000 w/ BL8000 + Beolit 15

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 876
Gold Member
CB replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 7:35 AM

milkypete:
I wish they would produce some sort of Back to the Future anniversary Beocenter or Beosystem!

+1 Yes - thumbs up

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,155
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 7:42 AM

You just can't be B&O when it comes to being unique...they have a long history behind them and products that are like no another. The fact that new releases causes such intense debate is perhaps a positive in a way? That face that so many people become Beoaddicts shows the power of their creations. 

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
Posts 75
Gold Member
Tassos replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 8:12 AM

1. Love the fact that you can integrate old and new equipment (Being able to listen to my beogram 5000 which is located in my living room while I am having a shower.)

2. Old equipment maintain its value

3. The sound produced is superior than other brands (especially if you consider the design of the speakers)

4. The design and positioning possibilities of products

5. The shift that has been made the last months towards solving efficiently and quickly software problems.

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 717
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 9:03 AM

Excellent

finally positive.

• NL....NL....and NL
  • especial the integration of new and old  - and to have more (old) Audio system integrated
  • the Eclipse

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,162
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 9:44 AM

- control e,g Philips HUE with Beo 4 through BLGW or MLGW

- Geoff Martin

- Beo 4 remote

- BLGW

- NL converter to prevent obsolescence and connect old and new B&O worlds

- Beosound 1

- Beointegration

- I don't regret that I bought so much B&O stuff even if it wasn't the most reliable compared to other brands. I still love it despite its flaws. ;)

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,302
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 10:44 AM

CB:

milkypete:
I wish they would produce some sort of Back to the Future anniversary Beocenter or Beosystem!

+1 Yes - thumbs up

A new Century!

at least a speaker with a DAB radio built-in. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 689
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 11:28 AM

Great to have a thread that is positive

I think I have reached the conclusion that if you want to listen to music easily and in great quality and not flaff around with upgrades and cables and other stuff then Bang & Olufsen wins hands down - plus it is superbly well built and looks great. Their products harmonise with any interior - classical, retro, modern.

I doubt I would ever buy another make of TV or HiFi - that said nearly everything I have is over 10 years old and still going strong. I recently tried a Linn system but prefer the sound and ease of use you get with B&O. 

I love the fact that even the newest stuff is backward compatible.

It's also refreshing that in todays world they stand out as being different and not ordinary - so many products like cars, TV's, Stereo's all look the same. Occasionally you find something different that has been crafted and designed to complement your home and please you every time you use it

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 876
Gold Member
CB replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 12:08 PM

TWG:
- Geoff Martin
You forgot Lee, Martin, Keith, Steve... Yes - thumbs up

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 876
Gold Member
CB replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 12:15 PM

9 LEE:
MM - this is your stage, go for it!
Laughing

Lee, if you want to make the cat mew, you need to take some lessons with seethroughyou !

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Gold Member
KMA replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 2:29 PM

- BeoLab 50

- Geoff Martin

- BeoSound 1 & 2

- BeoPlay A1, A6, A9

- Stock price

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,473
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 3:27 PM

KMA:

- BeoSound 1 & 2

- BeoPlay A1, A6, A9

I agree with these. I'd also argue the design of the BV14 is superb (software lets it down) and should have been brought back in some kind of modular format for the Eclipse. Let's face it, few B&O customers really need a wafer-thin OLED screen and it's really tricky to fuse a wafer-thin screen with a speaker.

The BV14 is almost perfect in terms of design, visual performance and audio. No need for a soundbar and, if you needed even more audio power, you could hide a BL11 or BL19 sub behind the easel stand.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,283
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 4:49 PM

KMA:

- Stock price

and the most recent quarterly report

jonprocter
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member

There's obviously still a lot to love (otherwise none of us would be here!) such as the good Beoplay products (the ones mentioned before and also the H9 and the in-ear wired earphones IMO). 

It'll be nice to see how the TVs end out in the future now if more of them run WebOS too! Lastly, the BeoLab 90s and BeoLab 50s (while expensive), are really rather impressive.

Lastly, there's the company itself and its culture and history (which might be why people seem so angry at B&O right now because it appears they might be throwing away what once was in favour of doing things cheap and quickly while still charging a small fortune, I guess).

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,739
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 5:52 PM

Razlaw:

KMA:

- Stock price

and the most recent quarterly report

Both of which are unreliable metrics at times, Enron's stock price and quarterly reports were awesome, until they suddenly weren't. There are plenty of reasons these metrics can be artificially inflated, either deliberately or by other coincidences. B&O is hemorrhaging stores and pulling back from markets, which is a much more unsettling fact that stock price can't make up for. Maybe they have a plan, hopefully they do, but it looks tenuous.

Jeff

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,260
Founder
Puncher replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 8:41 PM

A telling metric is that after 24 hours this thread is still on the first page!

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,929
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Over to you... (MM - this is your stage, go for it!)

Seems that I am not that needed on the stage after all - maybe I should just look from the side this time....

......and save my potions of positivity for other upcoming threads.

But thanks for starting the thread - it sure is vital to balance things a bit, especially for newcomers to the forum and to B&O.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Gold Member
KMA replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 10:15 PM

moxxey:

I'd also argue the design of the BV14 is superb (software lets it down) and should have been brought back in some kind of modular format for the Eclipse. Let's face it, few B&O customers really need a wafer-thin OLED screen and it's really tricky to fuse a wafer-thin screen with a speaker.

The BV14 is almost perfect in terms of design, visual performance and audio. No need for a soundbar and, if you needed even more audio power, you could hide a BL11 or BL19 sub behind the easel stand.

agree about the design of BV14. As you perhaps know, BV11 was possibly my all-time favorite flat panel BeoVision. The software issues were indeed the reason I didn’t list it as a positive.

PS. BeoWorld App has not been working in a long time for me (iOS 11.0.3, iPhone 7). I even deleted and re-installed the app, but it didn’t help. This is off topic, but I thought I’d mention it, as I first tried posting this reply from the app, unsuccesfully.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
Posts 315
Bronze Member

Side note:

I did an online B&O survey 6-odd months ago after buying - I think it was Essence related. Thought nothing of it. 

This was picked up by someone in Struer and was followed up with a one to one discussion on products and the perceptions on the way forward. 

Conversations was my perception that loudspeakers were now world class (never reall were before)

Souces (audio) were poor - inverted with loudspeaker tech progress

TVs were a-hummmm, software needs a major pull up 

B&O needs to be aspirational - a reward for hard work (not oligarchs, not Costco)

Overall, they are listening. What they collect and conclude could be real or mis-placed depending on you view point. But they are listening.

Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
Posts 315
Bronze Member

And no....they didn’t gift me a set of Beolab 90’s for participation.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,563
Bronze Member

The positives for me:

- The products look nice and there is thought in the design

- The products integrate

- You can use the one remote control

- The positions you can manage on the avant floor stand

- Speaker groups

- Products are serviceable 

- The amount of years the brand has been around 

- It's not a "regular" brand

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 1,681
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Oct 25 2017 4:38 PM

I wrote the following on another thread and it pretty much sums up my feelings about positivity at B&O at present:

"Financially the results and cash position of the business have improved significantly under both the current and previous CEOs. The company has produced a flagship speaker to rival anything from the audiophile community to demonstrate its credentials as a serious audio player. It has followed that up with a more "affordable" version. It's Play range has been so successful it is now nearly half the overall turnover. And there is talk of strengthening the overall brand proposition by simply branding everything Bang & Olufsen. It's early days for the new tv but if Sheffield and Ealing are anything to go by, it's selling. And I suspect they will make a profit on it (although it's too expensive for me).  The multi room offering makes sense with the BS1 and 2 set to meet the needs of how many people now want to listen to music. Bang & Olufsen's customers are not typical beoworlders. B&O will not make a successful business by pandering simply to the tastes of a few fanatics (in which category I very much include myself)"

Furthermore I still find the Beolab 18s to be an exceptionally beautiful piece of art to have in my home.  To my mind they make a similar statement to when I owned a BS9000 and they attract similar comments and reactions.

That's my view Smile

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,283
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Oct 25 2017 10:25 PM

Duels:

I wrote the following on another thread and it pretty much sums up my feelings about positivity at B&O at present:

"Financially the results and cash position of the business have improved significantly under both the current and previous CEOs. The company has produced a flagship speaker to rival anything from the audiophile community to demonstrate its credentials as a serious audio player. It has followed that up with a more "affordable" version. It's Play range has been so successful it is now nearly half the overall turnover. And there is talk of strengthening the overall brand proposition by simply branding everything Bang & Olufsen. It's early days for the new tv but if Sheffield and Ealing are anything to go by, it's selling. And I suspect they will make a profit on it (although it's too expensive for me).  The multi room offering makes sense with the BS1 and 2 set to meet the needs of how many people now want to listen to music. Bang & Olufsen's customers are not typical beoworlders. B&O will not make a successful business by pandering simply to the tastes of a few fanatics (in which category I very much include myself)"

Furthermore I still find the Beolab 18s to be an exceptionally beautiful piece of art to have in my home.  To my mind they make a similar statement to when I owned a BS9000 and they attract similar comments and reactions.

That's my view Smile

Completely agree.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,155
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Thu, Oct 26 2017 8:59 AM

Duels:

That's my view Smile

Thats sums it up perfectly....especially the fact that us Beoworlders are not the average B&O buyer....we often forget that!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,473
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Oct 26 2017 11:12 AM

BenSA:

Thats sums it up perfectly....especially the fact that us Beoworlders are not the average B&O buyer....we often forget that!

Well, what *is* the 'average B&O buyer'? I rarely see anyone go in my local store and I know two 'average B&O buyer' couples here in Bath and both have stopped purchasing new B&O products as they don't see them as value for money. These are couples in their 50s, lots of rented properties, lots of disposable income. So, if they aren't your "average" customer, who is?

Are there really many of these "average B&O customer's" left? I think you'll find many of the users on here *are* your key B&O customers.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,155
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Thu, Oct 26 2017 1:39 PM

moxxey:

BenSA:

Well, what *is* the 'average B&O buyer'? I rarely see anyone go in my local store and I know two 'average B&O buyer' couples here in Bath and both have stopped purchasing new B&O products as they don't see them as value for money. These are couples in their 50s, lots of rented properties, lots of disposable income. So, if they aren't your "average" customer, who is?

Are there really many of these "average B&O customer's" left? I think you'll find many of the users on here *are* your key B&O customers.

Did I miss the positivity in your post? Whistle Tried to be positive about it but no luck Big Smile

Average B&O buyers are not obsessive like we are about every single aspect and spec. They don't pull it apart trying to find every negative or possible error.

milkypete
Not Ranked
Kongens Lyngby, DK
Posts 34
Gold Member
milkypete replied on Thu, Oct 26 2017 2:58 PM

Some people who identify themselves as "Pure Audiophiles" will say that with B&O you pay extra for the design, and not just the sound. 

And I love that! 

My music doesn't play 24 hrs a day, but my stereo has to sit in my living room along with my other art and my furniture.  I'm happy to pay a premium for something a designer labored over, and not just a black metal box connected to 2 wooden boxes!  

BM5000, BG5005, BC5000, BG(cd)5500 via MCP5000 w/ RL60.2.  BC9500 via BL1000 w/ BL8000 + Beolit 15

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Thu, Oct 26 2017 4:12 PM

I actually really like the new products. I think the Shape speakers are excelent.  They look great and sound very good. I heard a combo with four speakers and to my ears it was at lesast as good as a pair of beolab 17s if not better. I also like the Beocision Eclipse. What keeps me from buying is the horrible user experience I have had with my Horizon. I am just not sure I want to buy from B&O again after all that trouble.

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,739
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Oct 26 2017 5:46 PM

I agree that you have to look at your hifi or AV system far more often than you actually use it actively, which is one of the main reasons I always loved B&O. They have been the only hifi firm paying much attention to style and design, rather than pushing out boring metal boxes and monkey coffin speakers. Even though I don't like the looks of most of the newer speakers as much as the older ones they at least aren't more wooden monkey coffins.

Who is the "average" B&O customer? Perhaps not us, but think of this, while we may love the brand enough to put up with some issues and strive to figure out how to overcome them, the "average" normal person (we're abby normal!) won't have the desire or patience to do so in all likelihood. Sibbi mentions something quite serious I think, bad experiences with a current/recent product is cooling his desire to buy anything else. How many people has B&O managed to alienate by things like this? Even if they suddenly got rid of all the problems, came up with products of unparalleled reliability and ease of use and performance, how many of the customers who had bad experiences will come back, and how quickly? There's a price to be paid for years of substandard products and spotty reliability (all the problems with wireless cards and such anyone?). It can take a long while for the reputation and brand perception to change.

I guess one study of this would be to look at Hyundai cars. For many years they were rightly perceived as cheap but poor quality. Now they are perceived as quality, reliable, and good values. How did they change that perception and what did they do to the product to make that so?

Jeff

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,473
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Oct 26 2017 10:26 PM

BenSA:
]

Did I miss the positivity in your post? Whistle Tried to be positive about it but no luck Big Smile

There's positivity and realism. In my eyes many of the people on here are keeping B&O in business - the "average" customer isn't a frequent purchaser. I won't name names, but a couple of people who have posted on this very thread want to buy all the new speakers and keep wanting to upgrade their TV (ie. 4K Avant is now not good enough, needs to be an OLED). That's the kind of customer B&O wants!

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 516
Bronze Member
BAND'OH! replied on Fri, Oct 27 2017 2:05 AM

Jeff:

I agree that you have to look at your hifi or AV system far more often than you actually use it actively, which is one of the main reasons I always loved B&O. They have been the only hifi firm paying much attention to style and design, rather than pushing out boring metal boxes and monkey coffin speakers. Even though I don't like the looks of most of the newer speakers as much as the older ones they at least aren't more wooden monkey coffins.

Who is the "average" B&O customer? Perhaps not us, but think of this, while we may love the brand enough to put up with some issues and strive to figure out how to overcome them, the "average" normal person (we're abby normal!) won't have the desire or patience to do so in all likelihood. Sibbi mentions something quite serious I think, bad experiences with a current/recent product is cooling his desire to buy anything else. How many people has B&O managed to alienate by things like this? Even if they suddenly got rid of all the problems, came up with products of unparalleled reliability and ease of use and performance, how many of the customers who had bad experiences will come back, and how quickly? There's a price to be paid for years of substandard products and spotty reliability (all the problems with wireless cards and such anyone?). It can take a long while for the reputation and brand perception to change.

I guess one study of this would be to look at Hyundai cars. For many years they were rightly perceived as cheap but poor quality. Now they are perceived as quality, reliable, and good values. How did they change that perception and what did they do to the product to make that so?

Spot on Jeff.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,331
Gold Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Oct 27 2017 9:04 AM

A few days ago I received at home the B & O Magazine n° 6 and I now whant to buy every single product in it (well almost).

That's positive I think or I'm just a sheep influenced by brochures.

There's a black Beosound 2 in it : WOW !

Page 1 of 2 (62 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS