rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 2 Followers

madsgormlarsen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
madsgormlarsen posted on Sun, Oct 22 2017 12:02 PM

Hi 

If I compare a Beovision 7 - 40" that I can by used for about 650 US dollars, with a brand new Phillips or Samsung 40", that I can get for the same amount of money. How would the picture quality compare? 

Thanks for any answers in advance 

All Replies

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
Ambergris Caye, Belize
128 Posts
Bronze Member

I wouldn't bother with any BeoVision 7-40 unless it is a MK6 version. This has the LED illuminated screen. All the versions prior to MK6 were fluorescent backlit screens, a yesteryear technology with far shorter lifespan. That's why the older 7-40 models are selling for far less money.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

madsgormlarsen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. Are any of the Beovision 7 32" inch sold with the LED illuminated screen?

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
Ambergris Caye, Belize
128 Posts
Bronze Member

Unfortunately, none of the BeoVision 7-32 models ever made it to the LED backlight format. They were all fluorescent with 720P resolution.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

madsgormlarsen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

How about BeoVision 4 plasma - are they also obsolete? 

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
736 Posts
Silver Member

I can not agree completely with the previous comment.
For example the BV7-40 Mk3/4/5 has still picture which looks perfectly acceptable in 2017. IMHO that is comparable with current offerings by the mass market producers. And nowadays you can get this beautiful TV for almost nothing.

I would look for Beovision 7-40 MKIII. It was already full HD with HDMI connections and they are known as very robust and unbreakable. I heard that  MKIV and MKV have had more failures with the screens.

If you go for plasma, the BV4-50 MKIII could be a good choice.

Regards / Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

madsgormlarsen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply. As Hungedu points out, the older versions of the BV7 are selling for rather small prices, so if they are reasonably good in picture, then I would definitely consider them. 

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
513 Posts
Bronze Member
BAND'OH! replied on Wed, Oct 25 2017 11:52 PM

As a former owner of the 7-40 Mk3 purchased from new I also agree with the_o_master.

This TV now represents excellent value for money given the overall package combined with the Bang & Olufsen experience such as the electronic curtains, motorised stand and motorised illuminated CD/DVD player etc. You will need a 7-1 or 7-2 BeoLab speaker to go with the TV of course, which I am guessing will be part of the package you consider anyway when looking at deals. I had the 7-2 which was a fantastic speaker system in its own right.

The Beovision 7 Mk3 and later models also had the newer BeoSystem 3 giving better picture processing and audio capabilities and this made a very noticeable difference compared to the two previous versions. Another subtle change was the LED menu lighting on the top right of the TV appearing in white for the first time. It was red on the versions 1 and 2. Actually I preferred the red!

I can't in all honesty make a direct comparison with modern day equivalent technology (LCD/LED edge lit) as I can't remember back to 2007 how the picture looked. However, I do recall being very impressed with it at the time and I don't think too much has changed in that time really.

As has been stated already, the very best model would be the last one, the Mk6 and this is because it featured direct backlighting zones as did its larger sibling the 7-55 (Mk 2 only) and this gave unbeatable picture quality even by today's standards over edge lit screens. All in all still a lot to consider then depending on what size TV you want, what picture quality you expect and what your exact budget is.

I say go for it! Coming in at today's price point is undoubtedly the best way to experience Bang & Olufsen and save a small fortune in the process.

Simon.

madsgormlarsen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for your reply. How would the Beovision 8 stack up against the Beovision 7? I like that the speaker is built in. 

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
513 Posts
Bronze Member

BV8 does not have a contrast screen, neither does it have the Beosystem 3 processor. I recall a lot of motion issues when I was also considering a BV8 at the time. Came in a 32" or 40" option. The speaker is excellent but nowhere near on par with 7-1/7-2 capabilities. Think of the BV8 as a scaled down version of the top tellies at the time; the Horizon of the day as it were. Still an excellent TV for the price. You really need to think about exactly what you want from the tv and then go from their. All the best, Simon.

madsgormlarsen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi BAND'OH!

Thanks for your reply. I went lookiing on a whole bunch of LCD televisons, including the new B&O Horizon, but I think I am going to keep my MX8000 a while longer. I like the picture and sound on my MX8000:)

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
513 Posts
Bronze Member

Sounds like a good decision. I personally really like the design and picture capabilities of the Horizon but due to it being a current model you're going to have to pay full price for that one. A very capable TV though with a marvellous picture. Good sound but the BV8 sound would have been better in comparison. Simon.

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,315 Posts
Bronze Member

I had 7 40 mk3, 5 and 6 before the 7 55 mk2

if you know what a good'picture is, evrything before the mk6 lacks of definition and has a blurry effect during action.

The mk6 is an edge led not with backlight zones like the 7 55.

You ´d better spending your money on a recent tv from lg than buying a bv 7 40 more than 1000 euros.

I have also a bv 4 50 mk3 in my garage, colors are good but during action scene it is completely out. I think it will be dump soon. Look at the price of it on ebay and you will see that most of the peope want to get rid of it.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

madsgormlarsen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm guessing the speakers in the Horizon are too small compared to the Beovison 8? 

I just realized that the Beovision 7 had fans installed - is this true of all Beovision flatscreen TV's?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS