rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

peternovy
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member
peternovy posted on Wed, Oct 18 2017 1:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

so I purchased a BM 3400 - I saw it on a local auction site for a reasonable amount of money and it took less than a minute to make a decision...

It has just arrived, I plugged it in for 10 minutes or so - it works in general - I tried FM and phono output, the balance, front/rear, volume etc. but I already can tell that it needs work. The things I was able to see myself are: 

1. It seems very dusty inside, also the potentiometers do not move smoothly (I assume they should, ideally)

2. The cooling fins at the back near the speaker connections got extremely hot, beyond the point of touching - I turned it off as soon as I saw this

3. Should the "Off" button stay depressed after pressing it? That is the case here, it seems that the answer is no -- but I'd prefer to hear from the experts

4. The line driving the FM unit broke after trying it out for a few minutes

5. The "On" light comes on, so does the "2-channel power" one, but the others don't seem to work

6. The large faceplate does is not aligned properly - I will try to attach some pictures to show the issue. 

7. I tried to open it - after taking out the screws the top was stuck, I was only able to delicately make approx. 2cm opening, and the front wood panel with part of the top plate detached- seems like the glue in the corners holding the wood panels together dried out (?) I was able to put things back together though.

8. there might be more... 

Are these issues fixable in a relatively easy way? Or will it need a more serious overhaul? Can anyone suggest how serious are these issues? I am not good with electronics myself, so I will have to give it to a technician. However in my area there does not seem to be one specializing in  B&O, just a few "vintage audio" places and it would be extremely helpful to have some advice beforehand. 

Also, should there be a service manual inside the receiver?

I'd like to have this unit a my main receiver in the living room (my wife agreed!) so I'd like it to look and function well after the repairs.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! 

All Replies

Lewis T
Not Ranked
Hampshire, UK
33 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi There,

Just seen your post on the forum, these are lovely machines one of my Fav's and am a keen collector of these. It's worth saving as I have a few of these and they are wonderful and as they are 4 channel compatible aswell, they sound perfect with 4x S45 speakers.

Regarding the getting hot on the fins that means the output stage is being over driven hence getting hot I would Seriously recommend not using it until its repaired as it will go pop and most likely take your speakers out with it. I am talking from experience!

If you want to lube the sliders so they are smoother you can with some switch cleaner (I recommend Servisol super 10)  to get rid of any rubbish causing a bad connection then if no better or worse use a tiny drop of machine oil or silicone spray just pop it in the hole that the slider is running in then wizz up and down a few times to get it in the slider switch then that should sort it and wipe any excess off with a cloth.

It will need a full service to fix the the heat issue this happened to one of mine, its a good sign its working as it is and means its not to far gone to be repaired.

The FM dial can sometimes be fixed its usually a piece of plastic that's broken off on the mechanism that lives om the lid or the dial cord is snapped or it could even be the tuner itself has siezed up and this happens to its little brother the Beomaster 2000! (Also a lover of these).

The service manual wont be inside it as it dosent exist (to my knowledge) you have to use one from a 2000 if you need this please let me know and I will see about the one for the 3400, I have a user manual for the 3400 if this helps you at all?

The bulbs not working is also common this could be as simple as a blown bulb or it could be the circuit inside needs attention. I use a guy called Ron who is based in Wales he is amazing such a clever man with Many many years experience since the late 70's with B&O sets, He is a genius with these sets he's fixed mine and its just perfect I cannot praise him enough. If you would like his details please get in touch. 

Kindest Regards,

Lewis

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,627 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 2:57 PM

Lewis T:

If you want to lube the sliders so they are smoother you can with some switch cleaner (I recommend Servisol super 10)  to get rid of any rubbish causing a bad connection then if no better or worse use a tiny drop of machine oil or silicone spray just pop it in the hole that the slider is running in then wizz up and down a few times to get it in the slider switch then that should sort it and wipe any excess off with a cloth.

And that's not the hole in the top panel, where the knob with the window is, but rather the opening in the potentiometer itself.

Martin

peternovy
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Lewis and Martin for the replies! I really appreciate it. In the meantime I found a place (I'm in Warsaw, Poland) where they took it in for a complete general service -- I understand it will take time, and will be costly, but hopefully they will bring it back to its glory. One thing I wonder about if the SQ demodulator is OK and if not can they actually fix it. I'll just have to see. 

As for the manual I managed to find one on eBay in the Netherlands and bought it, shipped it to a family member who will scan it for me. 

If it turns out great I'll post some pictures. I would love to find a set of P45's for it, but I know this might be tricky. So far I managed to get 2 P30's.

As a side note, I seem to be populating this forum with questions about repairs, but its only because I fell for vintage B&O only recently, I do research for a living and I know a guy who has sells B&O in good condition. Not an easy combination...The cost of the repair of the 3400 might be sobering, but probably only for a while ;)

peternovy
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok, so below I attach some photos of the service manual for the BM3400 - it does exist, it is supposedly an addendum to the service manual for the BM2000 type 2801 (the BM3400 has type 2802).

peternovy
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

part 2:

peternovy
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Ps. Of course these are taken with a phone, I'll try to get better scans -- if I do I can upload them for everyone to use.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,627 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 9:49 PM

We politely ask for a minimum membership level of silver to place sales/wanted ads.
Your support will be appreciated.

Martin

peternovy
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry! Although just to clarify this is not a sales/wanted ad.

I bought the service manual for myself and I will gladly post copies for others to use. If I need a silver membership for it then I'll probably get it when I have better scans to upload.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS