Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Amazing choice of pre-owned Bang and Olufsen

Got a problem with the Forum?
then please email me at keith@beoworld.org with details

Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Which would you choose: BM5500 or Beocenter 7700?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member
Dunderhonning Posted: Mon, Oct 9 2017 12:47 PM

Dear beoworld hive mind, I need your help. During the summer I had a thunderbolt & lightning, very very frightening happening in my cabin which fried the Beomaster 8000 and Beogram 8002 beyond repair.

This meant I had to replace the BM8000 with the one in my home setup and thus I need a replacement. I will get another BM800, but this might take a while since they don't grow on trees around here. 

What is readily available locally is BM5500 and Beocenter 7700, and I would gladly take your input on which I should choose.  

This is my reasoning so far: 

BM5500: the big plus is the spaceship MCP5500 and the ability to fit one of my tangential BG's to it. The downside is that I'll need a phono stage which means one more box.  

Beocenter 7700: the simplicity of justing having one thing to rule them all. On the other hand it isn't tangential which I'm quite fond of, and I've got more turntables than I'd like to admit. 

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts 399
Gold Member
Dunderhonning:

Dear beoworld hive mind, I need your help. During the summer I had a thunderbolt & lightning, very very frightening happening in my cabin which fried the Beomaster 8000 and Beogram 8002 beyond repair.

This is my reasoning so far:

BM5500: the big plus is the spaceship MCP5500 and the ability to fit one of my tangential BG's to it. The downside is that I'll need a phono stage which means one more box.

The BM5500 has an adequate built in phono stage, if that helps.

Peter-

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member

It has? Huh! In my ignorance I thought the BM5500 didn't have a phono stage. So yes, that helps a lot. Greatly appreciated!

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member

Flipped through the Jarman book when I got home and quickly realised I made the wrong assumption and thought BM5000 was the last one with a phono stage. 

Thanks again @Saint Beogrowler! 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,609
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 7:06 AM

If you already have the Beograms, the 5500 is the choice. Looks of connections and uses the Beolink 1000 codes which is a huge advantage. Have just bought an 8000 but you sound as if not in UK and sending it would be impossible and stupidly expensive! I use a 5500 with my computer and a variety of other sources.

Peter

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member

Peter:

If you already have the Beograms, the 5500 is the choice. Looks of connections and uses the Beolink 1000 codes which is a huge advantage. Have just bought an 8000 but you sound as if not in UK and sending it would be impossible and stupidly expensive! I use a 5500 with my computer and a variety of other sources.

Quite so, I'm in Norway and I'm afraid the shipping + customs charge would be slightly devastating, if not I'd shake hands on your offer immediately. 

Thanks for confirming the 5500 as the right choice given the circumstances! 

Robert

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member

BM5500 & Beolab Penta mk3 sorted, so once I figure out what to do with the weird cables that came with the Penta's I should be a happy camper. 

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts 399
Gold Member

Cables, The MK3 has powerlink (8pin din) and the beomaster 5500 does not. At least I'm assuming that is the cable you are talking about. 

You probably need this:

https://www.soundsheavenly.com/45-speakerlink-4-pin-din-cables

but I'd double check with Steve first.

You could forgo the display and use an RCA cable also.

Peter-

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member

There's two 8pin din cables -one to connect to the amplifier, the other one was for connecting the two speakers together (or so he said.) 

Will I need some sort splitter to use an RCA cable? As the speaker only has powerlink x2, line in and speaker link? 

I may be too dim for the stuff I bought, I'd best call my local dealer or send an email to Steve so they can tell me exactly what to buy. 

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member

Steve sorted the cables, I eventually worked out the different set up switches on the Pentas and the order of the universe was once again restored. 

Except: the previous owner has for some reason ubeknownst to mankind removed 2 out of 7 din pins from the Beocord, so there's that. Hopefully one of the din plugs I've got has din pins that can be unscrewed 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,609
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Nov 2 2017 9:40 PM

You only need one so if you have another 7 pin plug on the CD for instance, you can unscrew one and use that so you have two 6 pin DIN plugs - you have to unscrew the correct one as it varies depending on what the device is - I can never remember which way round it is!!

Peter

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 30
Gold Member

Peter to the rescue! Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS