Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to see Christmas Prizes
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 393 Replies | 10 Followers

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
46 Posts
Bronze Member
davieav posted on Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:39 AM

anyone else spot the diagram on peter pans messaging pages ? Smile

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Emil Jensen
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
195 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

But do we have more information about the Beosound Core?

I cannot seem to find a manuel.

In the new pricelist it have taken over Essense MKII which now must be AOL.

Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Transmitter 1

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,325 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

it would be easier if every beolab 5 owners were ready to sell their speaker for buying the beolab 50.

the beolab 5 are so iconic and are still excellent speakers.

I am personnally glad to see there is now in the bang olufsen portfolio something I can desire and would improve significantly my set up (without having my wife on my back)

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Putzgrilous
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by olvisab

What kind of preamp would you use to drive 4x BL5?

What I would like to know is if all this BL50 magic isn't 90% due to the room compensation feature.

If you run 4x BL5 from a Beosystem 4 you will have sound spread all over your room, in all directions as they are very wide. If you run the same setup from a preamp with Dirac Live, for example, the sound will be much more detailed.

I've tried this configuration in my 7.0 setup (1x BL10 4x BL5 and 2x BL8000) and the improvement was very impressive. Still I'd like to hear a pair of BL50 for comparinson.

All Replies

ps57
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
ps57 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 9:21 PM

Yes, of course LEE. And of course we will have to wait, but it is kind of fun just to guess.

If you have a look at Geoff Martin presenting BL90 in this video - Top three features, live - I believe it is obvious that beam width control is essential to obtain the very good image location that BL90 handles. (Maybe LEE participated in the presentation by Geoff?)
Beam width control is really what is the differentiator for B&O in the high end market. Active room compensation is also important, but several other companies masters this technology.

If you look at another of Geoff Martins postings that explains beam with control (in lower frequencies) in detail, it requires at least 3 speakers in 3 directions! I would expect this to being part of BL50.

Normal 0 21 false false false DA JA X-NONE

-ps

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,753 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jul 22 2017 12:10 PM

Well, if you wanted to 'narrow' an acoustic lens, which is a physical object, and you needed to be able to do this whilst the speaker is switched on, what would be the best way of doing it?

It's a pretty simple concept - almost like when you're shouting at someone in the distance and want your voice to carry straight froward. What do you do with your hands?  

Lee

hadr
Top 500 Contributor
Switzerland
83 Posts
Bronze Member
hadr replied on Sat, Jul 22 2017 12:22 PM
9 LEE:

Well, if you wanted to 'narrow' an acoustic lens, which is a physical object, and you needed to be able to do this whilst the speaker is switched on, what would be the best way of doing it?

It's a pretty simple concept - almost like when you're shouting at someone in the distance and want your voice to carry straight froward. What do you do with your hands?

Lee

See what you did there Wink There's your "unexpected" element! (which makes sense)

Genuinely looking forward to the announcement and "ears on" Big Smile
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,935 Posts
Bronze Member

@9 LEE

exactly what I proposed, when that question was asked in the danish Peter Pan thread.

However, I am not sure, that tweaking the Acoustic Lens mecanically that way is allowed due to licencing of the technology behind the lens.

But, you never know, what the guys in Struer are able to - that is, you do know in this case ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
791 Posts
Gold Member
To see sharper I squint my eyes. I loose a bit of field of sight, but who cares for those sitting off sweet spot? A two part enclosure on the back of the acoustic lens moving a little bit around covering the front a little bit (and distorting the sound? -> bad idea).

Peter the biker

ps57
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
ps57 replied on Sun, Jul 23 2017 12:00 PM

Good analogy thereSmile - with the hands narrowing the sound. Hope such kind of acoustic lens is implemented in BL50, it would be technical and visual superb. And only needing one speaker to implement narrow beam.

Regarding the importance om beam width control in lower frequencies I posted some figures from Geoff Martins blog B&O tech #48 on Peter Pans blog. Here the massiv improvement between BL 5 and BL90 can be seen. The control of the beam in low frequencies can only be obtained by speakers directed away from the front. So that is why - in my guessing - there are three speaker in a triangle in bas frequencies and in mid range. 

My earlier postings regarding beam width and BL90 vs BL5 can be seen here: Peter Pans blog side s37  

-ps

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,390 Posts
Founder
Rotating acoustic lens

Like the searchlights of two lighthouses ?

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,935 Posts
Bronze Member

elephant:
Rotating acoustic lens

Like the searchlights of two lighthouses ?

That would be 'Beam Direction', not 'Beam Width'.

MM

Fansastic
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
174 Posts
Bronze Member
sneak preview by B&O them self in new software update:

SHEFFIELD
Top 200 Contributor
230 Posts
Bronze Member

I receive my first pair of the new speakers next Tuesday... not sure I'm allowed to say that though - no doubt get another rebuke for mentioning it by the social media police at B&O...😮

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
46 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 10:52 AM

Nice, and if I'm lucky I'll see and hear them tomorrow- that's very interesting Big Smile

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,390 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 12:59 PM
Millemissen:

That would be 'Beam Direction', not 'Beam Width'.

MM

I'd prefer direction over width !

BeoNut since '75

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
493 Posts
Bronze Member
I'd prefer a bit of extra length and width Laughing
seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor