Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to see Christmas Prizes
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 393 Replies | 10 Followers

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
46 Posts
Bronze Member
davieav posted on Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:39 AM

anyone else spot the diagram on peter pans messaging pages ? Smile

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Emil Jensen
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
195 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

But do we have more information about the Beosound Core?

I cannot seem to find a manuel.

In the new pricelist it have taken over Essense MKII which now must be AOL.

Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Transmitter 1

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,325 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

it would be easier if every beolab 5 owners were ready to sell their speaker for buying the beolab 50.

the beolab 5 are so iconic and are still excellent speakers.

I am personnally glad to see there is now in the bang olufsen portfolio something I can desire and would improve significantly my set up (without having my wife on my back)

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Putzgrilous
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by olvisab

What kind of preamp would you use to drive 4x BL5?

What I would like to know is if all this BL50 magic isn't 90% due to the room compensation feature.

If you run 4x BL5 from a Beosystem 4 you will have sound spread all over your room, in all directions as they are very wide. If you run the same setup from a preamp with Dirac Live, for example, the sound will be much more detailed.

I've tried this configuration in my 7.0 setup (1x BL10 4x BL5 and 2x BL8000) and the improvement was very impressive. Still I'd like to hear a pair of BL50 for comparinson.

All Replies

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,587 Posts
Gold Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Aug 6 2017 2:38 PM
Puncher:

Will you be buying?

Ban boring signatures!

Simple answer is that I do not have a room that would make them justice.

They are certainly worth the money.

My wife only agree to speaker that can be fitted on the wall Smile So BL3s and BL11 are okay Big Smile

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,740 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Aug 6 2017 4:06 PM

9 LEE:

Jeff:

Ah, the "art" of marketing. If half the people say they want a small  speaker, and half want a big one, produce a mid sized one no one wants and then act shocked that no one buys it. It's Marketing!

Wise words.

Or, you could do what the big corporations do today.  Produce something you want to produce (as it'll make you a shed load of cash) then spend your budget brainwashing the people into thinking they need it...

As a brand, 'Supreme' have nailed it.  

Commes Des Garcons Plain White T-Shirt : £66.  

Commes Des Garcons Plain White T-Shirt with the 'Supreme' logo on the front : £350.

Unfortunately, the buying public seem to be getting more stupid by the year when it comes to being brand-brainwashed...

Check out these SOLD (actually sold, at these prices) trainers HERE

Lee

It does seem like a race to the bottom of the barrel at times doesn't it? There's an old saying that no one ever went broke underestimating the taste or intelligence of the average buyer.

Back in the day, pre-me as it were, my wife's boyfriend gave her a Christmas present of I think it was a Gucci wallet, which was expensive, but showed he didn't understand her at all (lucky for me!). It had the name Gucci written on it all over, over and over and over. Definitely not my wife's taste, she like me never felt the need to advertise how cool or hip she was by a name on an item. At the time, she favored purses and such by Coach, which had maybe a 5x15 mm tag sewn on one seam, black with muted gold lettering saying Coach. They were instantly recognizable, even to a fashion and ladies accessories Philistine like me, as being expensive and quality by looking at the quality of the materials and the attention to detail in the stitching and construction. They lasted forever with proper care as they were high quality leather, were in style as classics forever, and unless you searched for the label quite anonymous looking.

Maybe B&O would sell better if it said B&O in large, friendly letters on it, repeated over and over, so your "friends" would know you had good taste? Surprise

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
581 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm sure that they sound amazing and perfectly, many (or most) people will like their design and build quality, ... BUT how many will have the money to spend for a pair of these? And from those having the money, how many will be willing to buy them?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,935 Posts
Bronze Member

benoit:

I'm sure that they sound amazing and perfectly, many (or most) people will like their design and build quality, ... BUT how many will have the money to spend for a pair of these? And from those having the money, how many will be willing to buy them?

That should not be 'our problem'.

I have enough confidence in the ability of B&O to judge, whether these can/will be sold or not, that I would not worry about that.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,753 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Aug 7 2017 12:18 AM

Millemissen:

....... I have enough confidence in the ability of B&O to judge, whether these can/will be sold or not, that I would not worry about that.

Sadly, B&O are not Jedi's, nor do they hold the secrets to the universe...  Everything in business is a 'best guess' if you're selling something people might want, as opposed to might need.

We need food, we need warmth, we need shelter.  We certainly know what we need, but we're not always sure we know what we want.  That's where the marketing people put down their 'chai lattes' and get to work.

What we want is governed by what we can afford. So, if you have plenty of money, the choices available to you become infinitely bigger.

The challenge then, is to target someone who has lots of money to spend. Then, amongst the hundreds of marketing agencies, brand ambassadors and fancy storefronts, you have to make them want to spend it on what you're selling. 

It seems these days that just having an incredible product isn't enough. It has to be incredible and cool.  People have to know what it is, who made it, and the brand has to be instantly recognisable.  Even the most hard-nosed "I don't care what other people think" person is a liar if they say they don't get a kick when someone goes "Wow!" at their new purchase. It's hard-wired in us, wether we like it or not. Even people who 'rebel' seek the approval of other rebels.. but that's just humans - we're all smart, and dumb, in equal measure.

Anyway, what I'm saying is.. you have to find someone who loves the design, loves the sound, thinks B&O is cool, has people around them who know what B&O is (so as not to get laughed at for dropping £25k on a pair of speakers they haven't heard of), and.. most importantly, has £25k to drop on some loudspeakers.

So : the design is marmite - you'll love it or loathe it (in true B&O fashion), you can't not love the sound - they're fantastic, B&O as a brand is on the slide so not quite as many people who used to think it was cool, think it's cool any more, the people these days who know what B&O is are shrinking at an alarming rate.. so that could be a tough sell, and finally the amount of people who tick all the previous boxes and have £25k to spend on a pair of loudspeakers is shrinking rapidly.

These days the brand gets people in front of your products. Then, the product, if good, drives the sales. More sales, more brand awareness - and there's my 'virtuous circle'..  Look at the 'boom times' for B&O.  The brand was strong, the products were excellent - and the sky was the limit.

Now, the brand is weak thanks to years of awful marketing and some truly awful experiences for the few loyal followers left.  

The fiercely loyal followers of B&O with money to spend will buy these. If I had £25k to spend on some speakers, I'd be there at my local dealer's launch waving my chequebook like it was a fan on a hot day...   As for the rest of the population, we can only keep our fingers crossed on behalf of B&O.

The designer (in my opinion) has done a great job. Geoff Martin (in my opinion) has done a great job. All boxes ticked by all involved. If they sell in smaller numbers than the BeoLab 5, it's not down to the product - it's down to the brand.

Lee

Heineb
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

New teaser up: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv2cmTCjWrY

8000Kristian
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

A young bloke in his early 20's with an expensive hobby..

Present:

Beovision 4-50 Full HD, BeoSystem 3, BeoLab 8000 MK2, Beolab 4, B&O F1000 furniture, Beovision 8-26, Beo4 DTV

Sold:

BeoMaster 7000, BeoVox RL7000, BeoCenter 6-23 DVI

VANTAGE
Top 500 Contributor
54 Posts
Bronze Member

Excellent, thanks for these pictures. Just to get an idea of their size, can you tell us which version of the Beovision Avant they are standing next to? 55", 75" or 85"?

Thanks!

BV7-55 Mk. 1 - BS5/BM5 -  BL5 - BL3 - BS8

McIntosh MC601 x 2 - McIntosh C50 - McIntosh D100 -  McIntosh MHP1000 - Focal Scala V2 Utopia - McIntosh McAire

Sandyb
Top 100 Contributor
711 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Aug 7 2017 10:37 AM
Looks like a 55 inch to me
CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
876 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Mon, Aug 7 2017 11:44 AM
benoit:
... BUT how many will have the money to spend for a pair of these? And from those having the money, how many will be willing to buy them ?

Exactly 10%

No, 35.678%

No ! 67.5%

NO !!! xxxx

Imagine you get a correct answer. And what ?

Different times but...

Wasn't this question already asked (many times) at the launch of the BL5s ?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,935 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

As for the rest of the population, we can only keep our fingers crossed on behalf of B&O.

Lee

That is exactly what I mean.

I firmly believe that these guys are smarter than me (and - sorry - also smarter than most of the posters here).

They must have 'thought of something', before launching a speaker at this price - I am sure.

But in the end - why not trust them --- why distrust them as a lot of the posters here seem to prefer?

MM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
1,681 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Mon, Aug 7 2017 12:30 PM
Millemissen:

They must have 'thought of something', before launching a speaker at this price - I am sure.

But in the end - why not trust them --- why distrust them as a lot of the posters here seem to prefer?

MM

+1

Sandyb
Top 100 Contributor
711 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Aug 7 2017 12:53 PM
I think there are plenty of businesses who don't mind higher margins and lower volume...this may apply specifically to this part of the speaker range. Frustrating perhaps for those looking for something a little more in the middle, but there may be some logic to how they have priced these.
Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
317 Posts
Bronze Member

Although I am critical of the price-point of these units and that relative t the BL5 market share, I think there are some other possibilities:-

1. Marketing of the BL5 was surrounded by too much competition. Selling something technically sate of art at a higher price may gain a few more sales

2. Feedback on the BL90 has resulted in a significantly more economical WAF package B&O think they can sell

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
517 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:
If I had £25k to spend on some speakers, I'd be there at my local dealer's launch waving my chequebook like it was a fan on a hot day...

Lee, I read your post with much interest and wanted to reply to much of it but I have in fact picked out this one particular statement of yours, which pretty much sums up my feelings to your post. I actually want to disagree with much of what you write. I respect your opinion of course but I challenge the above statement and earlier statements in your post when you write,

"What we want is governed by what we can afford. So, if you have plenty of money, the choices available to you become infinitely bigger.

The challenge then, is to target someone who has lots of money to spend. Then, amongst the hundreds of marketing agencies, brand ambassadors and fancy storefronts, you have to make them want to spend it on what you're selling."

I just don't agree with this at all as I am in the position (very fortunately) to be able to spend this amount of money and a lot more if I wanted to on BeoLab 90s for example and whatever else is out there at the silly prices being asked by people who seem to think we live in a 'throw away money society.' However, I am not a silly individual, I am an intelligent one. I don't just throw money away - I value it. Money has meaning, particularly in my case as much of what I have has been handed down through the family (inheritance etc) so I am certainly not going to disrespect those who worked so hard to achieve what it in the first place for their family. Lots of people have money, some very large amounts, but that doesn't mean they need or even want to spend it, and people come into money through all sorts of ways.

I have made countless posts on this forum over the years that reference VALUE FOR MONEY and again, I come back to that point. I simply was not brought up to spend £25,000 on a pair of speakers, let alone £50,000 or more on a pair of BL90s for example. It's just not in my vocab - so to speak. The money is their, and could be spent, but it won't be. For me, and in honour of my family, I will be putting any money left to me to better use i.e. charitable causes, but that's just me and is what my family wanted so I will honour that.

I think it is important to voice this though as many businesses seem to think that people with access to money just spend it 'willy nilly.' Well, many don't. People like to get value for money and a product is only ever a product and worth what it is worth, which isn't much believe me. A human being and a cause is so much more.

Simon.

Page 10 of 27 (394 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS