Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to see Christmas Prizes
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 393 Replies | 10 Followers

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
46 Posts
Bronze Member
davieav posted on Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:39 AM

anyone else spot the diagram on peter pans messaging pages ? Smile

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Emil Jensen
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
195 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

But do we have more information about the Beosound Core?

I cannot seem to find a manuel.

In the new pricelist it have taken over Essense MKII which now must be AOL.

Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Transmitter 1

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,325 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

it would be easier if every beolab 5 owners were ready to sell their speaker for buying the beolab 50.

the beolab 5 are so iconic and are still excellent speakers.

I am personnally glad to see there is now in the bang olufsen portfolio something I can desire and would improve significantly my set up (without having my wife on my back)

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Putzgrilous
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by olvisab

What kind of preamp would you use to drive 4x BL5?

What I would like to know is if all this BL50 magic isn't 90% due to the room compensation feature.

If you run 4x BL5 from a Beosystem 4 you will have sound spread all over your room, in all directions as they are very wide. If you run the same setup from a preamp with Dirac Live, for example, the sound will be much more detailed.

I've tried this configuration in my 7.0 setup (1x BL10 4x BL5 and 2x BL8000) and the improvement was very impressive. Still I'd like to hear a pair of BL50 for comparinson.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,935 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, here is where it came from - thanks to kuyttendaele, who spottet that on his tv:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/25133.aspx?PageIndex=1

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

SHEFFIELD
Top 200 Contributor
230 Posts
Bronze Member

I bid farewell to my final display pair of BeoLab 5 yesterday as they shipped to Guernsey - the new replacement is stunning in my opinion. Visually, Iove them - the times we sent Lab 5s out on home dem, and couldn't get them past the lady of the house, due to their 'appearance' , I firmly believe it won't be the case with the new speakers!

Sound quality, whilst always subjective, I think they are considerably better than Lab 5s, not far off Lab 90... can't wait to get the in the shop!

I don't think I have given anything away here, so hopefully won't get my knuckles rapped by big brother ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
46 Posts
Bronze Member

ahh ! thank you millemissen  Smile

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,753 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 11:33 AM

I still don't think people have spotted the diagram...

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
514 Posts
Gold Member
KMA replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:34 PM
9 LEE:

I still don't think people have spotted the diagram...

Ah, more of the design given away BeoVision's speaker selection. Indeed, the line drawing in the dealer invitation earlier this year was BeoLab 50 as seen from the top.

Interesting design โ€“ and a motorized acoustic lens on top would add a little B&O magic Smile

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
375 Posts
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:35 PM
KMA:

Ah, more of the design given away BeoVision's speaker selection. Indeed, the line drawing in the dealer invitation earlier this year was BeoLab 50 as seen from the top.

Interesting design โ€“ and a motorized acoustic lens on top would add a little B&O magic

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Looks like a fat 18Big Smile
KMA
Top 150 Contributor
514 Posts
Gold Member
KMA replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:41 PM
So,

BeoLab 90 โ€“ the new masterpiece...

...trickles, in part, down to BeoLab 50.

Then, if BeoLab 50 is effectively the replacement for BeoLab 5, will we have BeoLab 3 succeeded by BeoLab 30 โ€“ yet a smaller version of the same concept?

That would make sense, since both BeoLab 5 and BeoLab 3 are phased out.

Smile

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,331 Posts
Gold Member
ps57
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) ps57 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 2:44 PM
Suggested by jans

Hi all BeoWorld nerds - being new to Beoworld blogs I dare to give my thoughts on BL50. A speaker that might cause me to spent the money!

I am very impressed by the sound quality of BL90, especially image location and the low frequency ability without resonances. Huge improvements to BL5 based on the technologies "Beam Direction Control" (in full frequency range) and "Active Room Compensation". Looking into Geoff Martins blogs regarding technical background material is a pleasure for me. And all is summarised in the BL90 Technical Sound Guide (B&O homepage) also prepared be Geoff.

Now to my thoughts on BL50 looking at the new sketch posted by BeoGreg and Peter Pan together with the invitation posted by Lee in an earlier blog,
I believe it is an almost triangle speaker looking from above with sub and midrange speakers in three directions giving a total of 6 speakers + acoustic lens. With that configuration B&O can implement narrow and wide Beam Directional Control in low and mid frequency range. 
The acoustic lens on BL5 is almost equal to wide mode on BL 90. So, wide mode would be easily implemented on BL50.
However, narrow mode is essential regarding phantom image location as Geoff calls it, and how to implement narrow mode in BL50 with an acoustic lens? Some fancy mechanical solution perhaps?

Some comments Lee?

-ps           

Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
317 Posts
Bronze Member

ps57:

Hi all BeoWorld nerds - being new to Beoworld blogs I dare to give my thoughts on BL50. A speaker that might cause me to spent the money!

I am very impressed by the sound quality of BL90, especially image location and the low frequency ability without resonances. Huge improvements to BL5 based on the technologies "Beam Direction Control" (in full frequency range) and "Active Room Compensation". Looking into Geoff Martins blogs regarding technical background material is a pleasure for me. And all is summarised in the BL90 Technical Sound Guide (B&O homepage) also prepared be Geoff.

Now to my thoughts on BL50 looking at the new sketch posted by BeoGreg and Peter Pan together with the invitation posted by Lee in an earlier blog,
I believe it is an almost triangle speaker looking from above with sub and midrange speakers in three directions giving a total of 6 speakers + acoustic lens. With that configuration B&O can implement narrow and wide Beam Directional Control in low and mid frequency range. 
The acoustic lens on BL5 is almost equal to wide mode on BL 90. So, wide mode would be easily implemented on BL50.
However, narrow mode is essential regarding phantom image location as Geoff calls it, and how to implement narrow mode in BL50 with an acoustic lens? Some fancy mechanical solution perhaps?

As mentioned on another thread. My speculative guess is that the BL50 is a 3.5-way loudspeaker array. Treble, Mid and Bass array in the main cabinet, standard monkey-coffin configuration. Pop-up acoustic lens - adds some B&O "magic" and is a cost-effective mechanism for wide/Omni dispersion.

The internal Mid/Bass are single array to save cost and there's a fine box of tricks with a plug-in microphone (a la 90) which can make the single Mid/Bass array perform to a reasonable extent in any room. I would envisage that this arrangement is not a dynamic as the BL90 - that has 3 times as much gear on-board than any other active loudspeaker to do the tricks it can.

I'm sure it will sound good regardless as the technology in DSP is SOTA and generations ahead of the BL5's they replace.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,753 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 4:34 PM

ps57:

Some comments Lee?

-ps           

One comment. Yes.

"I signed an NDA..."

Unsure

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
493 Posts
Bronze Member
How does an acoustic lens produce narrow mode???
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,935 Posts
Bronze Member

The question is, what do they want to achieve with this speaker?

I am sure that it is not just a 'smaller BL90'.

It would have been easy (too easy, I'd say) just to scale down the BL90.

They want it to be something different, I am sure.

But we won't have to wait long anyway - it is rumoured that 'some' dealers (in DK, at least) will have them on display already end next week. 

We'll see if that rumour is right??? 

Otherweise it is not long untill IFA2017.

By then we will learn about the 'philosophy' behind the BL50.

Those in knowing will give exact the same answer as 9 LEE, of course.

P.S. The acoustic lens is per definition supposed to give a wider dispersion - for one man AND his friends/family.

I don't think there is much to change there.

As for some 'fancy mechanical solution', I am not sure that is possible, because the Acoustic Lens Technology is licensed.

Highly interesting - sure there will be some magical math involved ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
405 Posts
Bronze Member
"Involve" me is all I ask. Don't care how you get there.

But one thing is definitely true: The BL5s 15" woofer will be hard to beat on video
Page 1 of 27 (394 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS