rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 1 Follower

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member
John posted on Sat, Jul 15 2017 10:38 PM

I have  just joined here to seek help with a friend's beocenter 9000. 

I know it needs a good clean inside as the cassette and CD lids are reluctant to open and close. However when the CD does close the disc spins up but then stops and the lid opens again. I have searched these forums but cannot find that particular problem described. Does anyone please have a suggestion for a cure?

Many thanks, John.

All Replies

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member
John replied on Sat, Jul 15 2017 10:47 PM

Ps. I've seen sreference to a strut, like a bonnet strut on a car, to hold up the top half. But I cannot see one on this, just a bit of white plastic that may be broken off above and behind the time display. Was that it, perhaps? Thanks.

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
701 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 10:32 AM

johnbb99:

Ps. I've seen sreference to a strut, like a bonnet strut on a car, to hold up the top half. But I cannot see one on this, just a bit of white plastic that may be broken off above and behind the time display. Was that it, perhaps? Thanks.

Yes, it has been broken off at one point, normal thing to happen, the white holder breaks off and people don't replace them. So you are missing the metal rod. You can just use some make believe metal wire or something to hold it, or a friend while you remove the cd unit.

you need to replace the C2103 capacitor on the servo board. Search for C2103 on the forum and you will find lots of threads about it.

/jacob 

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member
John replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 2:14 PM

Thanks Jacob. how likely is it that my particular problem with the CD player will be cured by replacing that capacitor?

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member
John replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 2:14 PM

Thanks Jacob. how likely is it that my particular problem with the CD player will be cured by replacing that capacitor?

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
701 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 2:52 PM

johnbb99:

97,4% ;)

/Jacob

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
701 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 2:58 PM

johnbb99:

Cleaning of the laser with a cue tip and alcohol is also recommended, just be sure to wipe off fast with a dry cue tip.

Also the small dark "rubber" ring of the spindle might loose its grip, and the disc may slip.. this can be heard as a scraping sound when spinning up.

if this is also a problem, then it can be fixed by cutting adding a ring of rough tape around the spindle.

The C2103 is always in need of changing as a first thing

/Jacob 

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
1,011 Posts
Founder

Weebyx:

Cleaning of the laser with a cue tip and alcohol is also recommended, just be sure to wipe off fast with a dry cue tip.

/Jacob

LOL - Cue tip would pertain to billiards.  It's Q-tip  (Brand name)

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,421 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 9:45 PM

Not all types of capacitors will work with the laser output. The cap needs to have certain filter characteristics.
While it is correct that the majority of problems are caused by C2103, the other capacitors on the servoboard are
of the same age and has lived in the same conditions, so they will also be marginal if not already bad.
If you load a test-CD like f.e. YEDS5 or similar (I use the Philips equivalent set) and watch the cats-eye pattern on
an oscilloscope and the amount of jitter, you can typically see a clear difference with new capacitors and quite often the drive
will play discs that it couldn't prior to recap'ing (and the error-correction will be less busy).

Kits are available for most servoboard versions. They contain correct types of capacitors and it's no more than 5-10 caps so fairly cheap.
I suggest you grab a kit and replace the lot.

Martin

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member
John replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 11:29 PM

I'm new to this forum. Evidence is above where I triple posted, and then failed to find a way to delete posts B and C!

Anyway, would you please point me to where I can order a kit of capacitors?

Have I seen elsewhere that the servo board is underneath the CD drive?

Thanks all.

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member
John replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 11:46 PM

Thanks for that information.

Your confusion of Qtip with cue tip is entirely understandable as they are homophones. (or maybe you dictated it?)

I loved your use of ' make believe ' -  perhaps I could make the top stay open by sheer power of imagination, that would be cool!  :-) 

John

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,421 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jul 17 2017 7:10 AM

Email/PM me for parts.
Yes to the servo board.

Martin

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member

I have reached the servo board, and see that some of the caps are Nichicon. Did B&O use them in the 9000, or has someone been here already doing some replacements? c2103 looks to me like an original Philllips one [ but could be a replacement Phillips, I suppose].

John
Not Ranked
Lampeter, West Wales
10 Posts
Silver Member

The multipole connectors carrying grey and black wires are held in place by a latch, but on my board a piece of PCB  that could be broken off, to allow the latch to be released, is still there with 3 holes drilled along the break line. See photo. Is this normal, as it makes it very difficult to release the catch?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,421 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Jul 19 2017 6:55 AM

You don't have to break off anything to release the connectors. The catch will move far enough just bending the board tab a bit.
The capacitors on your board are the originals.

Martin

Edit:   Third - and last - attempt at posting this. I have so many problems with timeouts I hardly can't be bothered posting anymore.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS