rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 1 Follower

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,442 Posts
Founder
9 LEE posted on Thu, Jul 13 2017 8:57 PM

... all seems to be a way of venting for ignored and upset customers.  Is this what a premium brand should have happening to them?

B&O's Facebook Page

One star after one star after one star...

Someone should be watching and managing this, surely?

All Replies

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
542 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Thu, Jul 13 2017 8:59 PM

9 LEE:

... all seems to be a way of venting for ignored and upset customers.  Is this what a premium brand should have happening to them?

B&O's Facebook Page

One star after one star after one star...

I'm astonished someone from B&O has not picked up on these.  Wouldn't take very much to reply to them and offer assistance would it?

Ben

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,246 Posts
Gold Member

I don't know why companies offer these opportunities to post negative messages. They don't have to be verified but sit there online. It's not just B&O; look at any brand and you'll find it. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,442 Posts
Founder

I have to say, the support on 'Play' items is shameful.

I think I've got a new catchphrase for the B&O Play warranty department...

"if it's Play.. throw it away"

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,442 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Jul 13 2017 9:17 PM

A true story, told to me by the engineer yesterday.  My local B&O service centre had a customer bring in a pair of H6's.  She loved them, and she sent them back to B&O as one 'side' stopped working.

B&O sent them back, basically saying 'throw them away, they're out of warranty and we can't/won't repair them'

The engineer unclipped the earpiece, found a broken wire / solder joint - got his solder gun out, re-joined the wire, and they worked perfectly again. He charged £15, and the customer is happy her £240 headphones are working again.

Yes... £240.  Not £19.99, not £49.99, not £99.99....

A premium pair of headphones - with zero support when they go wrong.  Shameful.

AngloApulian
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member
For a premium brand like B&O one would expect much better after-service. Especially when one considers the price of their products.

They should take a leaf out of Apple's book.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jul 14 2017 1:10 AM

9 LEE:

Hard to manage as the scores can't be deleted. The reviews can (scores remain), but then if you start deleting reviews it's going to make people even more incensed.

But, frankly, it is incredible to see all that negative feedback on a company Facebook page.

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
Ambergris Caye, Belize
115 Posts
Bronze Member

This is quite discouraging as well as disturbing. It looks like B&O needs to hire a better PR person and take care of this growing problematic customer care service trend.

BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 5, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
1,009 Posts
Founder

It's sad that most of the recent reviews are poor, as those are the most likely to be read by potential customers.   But the main takeaway is that they have 85%  4 or 5-star ratings (mostly 5).   How does this compare to other A/V manufacturers?   'Seems that's the metric to judge how well they're doing.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
887 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm glad this thread told me about this. I just posted a one-star review for the loss of Spotify on the BeoSound 5. We all should do the same to get their attention.

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member

So sad. I have just spent some time reading through many of the 1 star reviews. B&O, seriously... what are you doing? It takes a lifetime to build up a reputation for quality products with outstanding customer service. You reached and maintained that target up to the 90s. What on earth have you been doing since? I am lost, confused and feel so terribly sad for you as a business. It is embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch this play out. I am hanging on by a very thin thread... don't lose another person who has been so passionate about your brand. Principle over profit - go back to your roots and make yourselves great again. Simon.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
1,009 Posts
Founder

Not unrelated, how is their stock price at a 9-year high?  Certainly not takeover rumors.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,246 Posts
Gold Member

Unfortunately, the principle of brand loyalty is changing for many people . The idea that Facebook will bring together anybody but those with a grudge is very foolish. It appears to be impossible to control the impression given by customers or anybody who wants to be negative about your company or products. What's strange is that after a bad experience with a hotel chain ,with cause to complain , we could only contact the company using social media. Perhaps this is so that they can be seen to address issues in public. The only way therefore is to be able to reply to your customers with a fix and be seen to fix their issues. If B&O aren't going to do this they shouldn't participate in Facebook.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,430 Posts
Bronze Member
It's a good platform if used correctly. Sometimes people are frustrated that they are not listened to

I always give the company an opportunity to rectify a situation but if they do not then sometimes it's your only avenue left

I can see why people give negative reviews. B&o aren't that fabulous. Sure they look and sound nice but they're not reliable and they don't stand by their warranty and customer promises.

If I have another faulty product as much as I love them I won't allow myself to be put in the same situation again. We are not talking peanuts.

I've never had an issue with Sony or Bose.

Therefore I think the Facebook reviews are helpful to see. It doesn't take a genius to read them and work through some people's opinions. You read them and think some people are a twit and some are genuine. You take what you want.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
393 Posts
Gold Member
KMA replied on Sat, Jul 15 2017 7:12 PM
Out of curiosity, I reviewed most of the 1-star reviews. Two things stood out:

1) A lot of the negative reviews were about B&O Play in particular, and poor customer support for the B&O sub-brand. Even though it is an affordable sub-brand of the luxury Bang & Olufsen main-brand, BeoPlay products are by no means cheap, compared to comparable mainstream brands. So the lack of support, or bad experiences with BeoPlay support, reflect badly on the Bang & Olufsen brand.

I would separate Bang & Olufsen and B&O Play on facebook – just as they are separated on the web (both have their own websites). In addition, the core clientele of the sibling brands are different.

2) Most of the negative feedback on Bang & Olufsen products relate to their latest offerings that run on the new Android platform (TVs) and the never-ending beta stage of the Moment (again, developed on Android). Most of the negative feedback here is the software.

I hope B&O will phase out all Android-based products. That OS is a mess: for example updates that do not clear previous Android caches will lead to all kinds of problems that are impossible to debug, as they depend on the specific cache each device has. My company develops software for Android, and it is a nightmarish platform we HAVE to deal with. If an upgrade is not a clean install, there will be an infinite number of individual issues. I wish we could only support iOS and Unix/Linux based proprietary platforms, but in this defragmented Android-infested world it's a platform we cannot overlook, due to userbase.

Okay, that was a rant on Android.

The point for Bang & Olufsen: I hope WebOS for the BeoVision Eclipse will be a reboot for B&O TVs. As for other BeoVisions in the range, their proprietary software for, say, BeoVision 11, worked flawlessly.

So my advice for Bang & Olufsen (excluding BeoPlay) products would be to revive their legacy NL(ML) platform, refine it, and leave all the "smart stuff" to 3rd party solutions such as Apple TV or Chromecast.

In other words, customers could opt for the little exhangeable set-top boxes integrated with B&O's PUC. Here, the customer could choose the "smart" platform that best suits their needs, and change it whenever it changes, without having to resort to updates (that do not work) or buying a new 10k TV every second year.

A core Unix/Linux based platform would keep B&O in the clear from the mess they are now in. As users of also Sony TVs (etc) will confirm, Android will always be a recurring headache for otherwise electronically perfectly superb products.

Just my 2 cents. Or pennies.

Last but not least, for B&O: stop the outsourcing of software! Re-hire the Listening & Viewing panel (I have the feeling they are no longer a part of the B&O way of things). Do what you do best and leave the elusive, mercurial "smart" stuff for 3rd parties, from which customers can choose themselves. After all, that is why you perfected the PUC philosophy.

NB. As for support, something is horribly wrong if B&O Play, at their prices, cannot provide customer support that surpasses all peer brands in that or lower price range. They are China-outsourced products, so the focus should be on support when quality fails!

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS