Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Infrared sensor on Beovision 5500 not working?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

cheetaht7tb
Not Ranked
Netherlands
2 Posts
Bronze Member
cheetaht7tb posted on Sat, Jul 8 2017 4:21 PM

Hi! I recently picked up a Beovision 5500 television set. I believe they were made between 1981 and 1983. It looks fantastic (love that teak wood finish) and I am frankly amazed at the picture quality this television is giving me after all these years since it was manufactured. I hooked up the composite output of a Raspberry Pi to a UHF modulator, which is hooked up to the 5500 using standard coax. It's a great way to watch old 4:3 content! :-)

The set didn't come with a remote where I found it, though it should work with one if I did my research correctly. I bought a new-old-stock B&O Video Terminal remote, but the TV does not react to any buttons I press on the remote. I also programmed my Harmony One universal remote with the remote codes of the 5500 and those don't seem to work either, leading me to believe the IR sensor on the 5500 may be out of order.

Is this a common fault? And if so, Is it easy to fix/replace? Or am I missing something important here? Any advice or hints greatly apprectiated. Thank you!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
958 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) Guy replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 4:59 PM
Verified by cheetaht7tb

Firstly welcome to Beoworld!  Good to hear old kit being used, and I understand that the 5500 is a particularly reliable TV.

The Beovision should work fine with the Video Terminal remote.  Are you sure that the remote is working?  You are probably aware that you can view the end of it with a mobile phone camera to check - you should see faint lights when it transmits.

I don't think that the Harmony One will work because B&O use a higher frequency for their IR transmission - 455KHz.

All Replies

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
958 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) Guy replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 4:59 PM
Verified by cheetaht7tb

Firstly welcome to Beoworld!  Good to hear old kit being used, and I understand that the 5500 is a particularly reliable TV.

The Beovision should work fine with the Video Terminal remote.  Are you sure that the remote is working?  You are probably aware that you can view the end of it with a mobile phone camera to check - you should see faint lights when it transmits.

I don't think that the Harmony One will work because B&O use a higher frequency for their IR transmission - 455KHz.

cheetaht7tb
Not Ranked
Netherlands
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you, Guy! I just went upstairs to check the remote with my phone camera and while pressing buttons on the remote I suddenly saw the 5500 switching channels! The remote works after all! Big Smile

I don't know what was wrong the first time around, but it works perfectly fine right now and I'm very happy to be able to operate this TV with a remote now. Maybe the remote needed some time to "wake up" after having laid dormant for 36 years after it was manufactured Wink

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
958 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 5:27 PM

Great news - thanks for letting us know, and enjoy your 'new' TV!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS