rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 82 Replies | 5 Followers

tat960
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
tat960 posted on Thu, Jun 22 2017 7:51 PM

We just received the following announcement from Spotify:

“We want to give you a heads up that Spotify support will soon be removed from your Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 5 speaker. 

We want to make playing Spotify on your speaker and other devices better and easier which means regrettably that we sometimes have to discontinue device-specific integrations.

For alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotify on your product, please contact your Bang & Olufsen store.

Thanks and keep rocking, 
Spotify”

96 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

We have a BeoSound 5 connected to B&O speakers.  What does this announcement mean for us?  What are the “alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotfy on your product?”

All Replies

gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
119 Posts
Bronze Member

Well said Beojeff..

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
349 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 5:47 PM

Spotify hasn't worked on my BS5 for quite some time... but maybe this is because I screwed with the Spotify installation a few years back - don't quite remember the goal, but it's off topic anyway.  I pretty much switched to the Chromecast since I can select songs from my phone so it didn't bother me (and I blamed myself for the Spotify trouble).  I bought my BS5 before it supported Spotify so I'm not too upset about this, but I can definitely understand others who feel differently.

Anyway, this is a cautionary tale for everyone using products that depend on some type of "cloud service".  The service provider can stop or change their service according to their priorities, not yours, and there seems to be very little we consumers can do about it.  I guess the lesson is don't spend big money on any device that requires "the cloud".  This isn't the first instance of a cloud service provider dropping support for paying customers, and I'm sure it will not be the last.

Stan

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
357 Posts
Bronze Member
A laptop with line out is the most future proof way but nobody wants a computer in their room. Now we seem to spend more time sorting out software or network faults. Can't help but think that it was easier in the days of CDs and records. Insert and press play.
nico vercammen
Top 500 Contributor
Elversele, Belgium
157 Posts
Gold Member

just got this answer from beocare : 

Hi Nico,

I am sorry to hear that you were not informed by Spotify and I fully understand your frustration.

There are no plans to introduce Deezer in the BeoSound 5, but there are a few different options available to still enjoy Spotify. If you contact your Bang & Olufsen dealer, they will explain further about the possibilities, which are:
- A Chromecast Audio and line-in converter free of charge
- Discount on a BeoSound Essence
- Discount on a BeoSound Moment

I would prefer they integrated Deezer or other streaming providers for the BS5  ... 
I installed SSD disk in the system, and the system is working really fast and stable
I also like the design of the BS5 (like it much more than the moment ...)
With the chromcast you always need a tablet or smartphone just to play your music. The BS5 was easy to use and to start a playlist
Now you need to open the smartphone, start the app, select your music, connect to chromecast, push nmusic+4 ...  and you only see "AUX" on the display....
you can not skip songs with the remote etc ...
For me this is not what i call "integration" and make it easier to use ...
nico 

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
78 Posts
Bronze Member

Hey,

I'm still wondering if it is pure stupidity or totall arrogant behavior by B&O.

I had my dealer on the phone yesterday and the suggested a chromecast and behringer. But that is an awfull solution compared to the functionality we had before. Even if I was part of B&O inner circle a couple of years ago, it was never ever suggested, told or implied at the time that this service could dissappear! It never said “ Spotify temporally inside”.

Until a couple of days it was fantastic, i heard a song somewhere on the go, shazaam-ed it and added it to the top of my playlist. When i got home all i had to do was press AMEM and red button (linked to my playlist) on the beo4 and I was able to enjoy my music.

Chromcast solution is awfull and user unfriendly:

- first of all I tested the behringer before with an airplay device. I hated/removed it because you can hear ticking noise (leakage,?) when playing soft classical music you hear regulary this ticking. On beolab 9’s you go crazy.

- You need a beo device (beo4/6) to open the source and an mobile device to start up the music (most of the time I don’t even know where my iphone is and when I’m with friends or family we have a rule of no electronics/mobile devices because I find this extremely rude people looking at their phones) if the person who’s mobile device used to start the music leaves the house or the battery drains, or gets a call the music stops, easily skipping a song doesn't work. And this withour any other “network”-related hiccups one may experience with wireless streaming...
I don’t want “i understand your frustration or this not our decision, they should have contracted a garantee longer than 3years” and the message should have come from B&O not Spotify, they have our email address (dealer and HQ) linked to the serial number.
Another question: what garantee we have that even the internet-radio service just quits working one, will they also point the finger at a third party with whom we don’t have deal. we customers bought from B&O nobody else. If you buy a car you know you have to fill up the car with gas to have it working and this is your responsability (= paying the fee to Spotify) but nobody comes to take out eg. the driver seat midlife and suggesting a beer-crate as seat (=removing spotify from BS5 and suggesting chromcast), Yes your car still drives but you’re missing an integral part of your comfort.
Adds to this the fact that we had to pay 800 euro to repair the motherboard just two months ago.
Still really mad; 35 years of admiration for B&O has finally slipped away ! This adds again to all the other issues we had (Beolab 9 tweeter, sound and video engine of BV7-40, chassis of BV10-32, noise in BL 4, powermodule of BV6,…) and leaves your wondering what is going to be next.
I think the only thing we can do is to keep contacting the dealers, even the regional managers so they “get” our frustration and do something at HQ. 
Legal recourse is also an option, let’s group.
kr
Frederic
Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
78 Posts
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Mon, Jun 26 2017 10:23 AM

A . I  respectfully disagree as well, this is a B&O problem to solve (ok they have to get together with spotify and find a solution) they should have secured a deal longer than 3 years

B. Because standard internet radio doees not :

- play the list like I like it with only 'my' songs (especially when diverse mixed taste from jazz, classical piano, rap and electronic...) , can't skip songs

- have commercials (abc lounge radio did not in the beginning and now they do

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
78 Posts
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Mon, Jun 26 2017 10:31 AM

Question: 

Imagine I integrate an Essence (somewhere hidden in a seperate room) in my pure ML-network, and switch to Deezer , which functionalities can I expect if eg. Deezer is under AMEM (if possible through NL/ML Converter)?  Can I start deezer and switch songs, start playlists with beo 4 ?

tat960
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
tat960 replied on Mon, Jun 26 2017 4:18 PM

Frustration with B&O Continues

e-mail from B&O Denmark (6-26-2017): 

“Your nearest Bang & Olufsen retailer is able to offer you three options:

- A free Chromecast Audio incl a USB/Line-in adapter. This will allow you to keep enjoying Spotify on your BeoSound 5 from your mobile device

- A discount on a BeoSound Essence

- A discount on a BeoSound Moment”

e-Mail reply to Bang & Olufsen in Denmark (6/26/2017): 

Last Saturday (6/24/2017) the Glenview, Illinois, B&O dealer (ABT Electronics) offered the following solutions, but without mentioning anything for free or with a discount: 

“The alternatives that can be proposed to customers who still want to use Spotify are:

1. Using a “line-in – to – USB” adapter and a Chromecast Audio dongle (http://www.google.com/chromecast/audio). That would allow customers to stream Spotify Content from their mobile device and the Spotify app, to the BeoSound 5.

2. Using a “line-in – to – USB” adapter and a BeoSound Essence Box. That would allow customers to stream Spotify Content from their mobile device and the Spotify app, to the BeoSound 5. It would also provide other features, such as AirPlay, Bang and Olufsen multiroom and Bluetooth.”

With no knowledge of the three options you (B&O Denmark) are now offering, I directly ordered the USB/Line-in adapter from Amazon and the Chromecast Audio from Google. 

My original notification of the Spotify problem came from Spotify not B&O (I paid B&O through their State Street Chicago dealer major dollars for the BO5 system – NOT Spotify) and now a very late offer to “solve” the problem after I have already paid Amazon and Google for parts.  Why no advance warning from B&O in the first place?  Why so much delay in developing a solution?  And the solution seems to require forcing loyal B&O customers to become technical geeks to solve the problem, and a solution far below B&O historical standards. 

96 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

The simplicity and elegance that I have associated with Bang & Olufsen for the 30 plus years of enjoying B&O products seems to have evaporated.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,226 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Jun 26 2017 5:59 PM
nico vercammen:

just got this answer from beocare :

Hi Nico, I am sorry to hear that you were not informed by Spotify and I fully understand your frustration. There are no plans to introduce Deezer in the BeoSound 5, but there are a few different options available to still enjoy Spotify. If you contact your Bang & Olufsen dealer, they will explain further about the possibilities, which are: - A Chromecast Audio and line-in converter free of charge - Discount on a BeoSound Essence - Discount on a BeoSound Moment

Has anybody talked to a dealer about this? Any idea what kind of discount? Must the Beosound 5 be traded in?

Gary
Top 500 Contributor
Phoenix, Arizona
53 Posts
Bronze Member
Gary replied on Mon, Jun 26 2017 6:42 PM

Just from Beocare this morning (below). My question is if a Chromecast Audio USB is added to the Beomaster 5, will I still be able to listen to that same music source through not only my Beoplay products but also my active speakers connected to the Beovision Avant and the other Beolab speakers throughout the house with the present ML/NL convertor I have. 

Thank you for your request. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Subject

Again, very confused about Beosound 5 and Spotify Premium. What is the plan for ...

Response By Email (Ina Bang Andersen) (26/06/2017 10.19 AM)
Dear Checkler,

I am sorry that I was not clear in my response. As I tried to explain, your retailer will be able to offer you different options - one is a free Chromecast Audio and USB/Line-in adapter which would allow you to still enjoy Spotify on your BeoSound 5, however, this would require streaming from a mobile device.

Please confer with your retailer in order to find the solution which works best for you.

Kind regards,
Ina Bang Andersen (Ms) | Customer Service

Bang & Olufsen A/S | Peter Bangs Vej 15 | DK-7600 Struer | Denmark
www.bang-olufsen.comwww.beoplay.com
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,084 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Jun 27 2017 10:18 AM

I have to admit that it's a really fair solution from Bang & Olufsen!

As it seems official:
Can we ask our dealers to get the free Chromecast Audio and USB/Line-Adapter? Afterwards Spotify is back on your Beosound 5 and the ML-Network. Sounds fair. From the premium / luxury company perspective they had to act proactive and inform us BEFORE Spotify was removed. That would have saved them a few disapointed customers. :)

Stefan E
Not Ranked
Sweden
24 Posts
Gold Member
I was in contact with my dealer today and B&O offer 20% discount on Essence and Moment.

BV7-40 MKIII, BC6-26, BV4-50/BS2, BS5, BS9000, BL3500, MLGW, BLGW, PlayMaker, Beo6, Beo5, BeoTimex2, Linctonic, BS6500, BS4500,LX6000

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,333 Posts
Bronze Member

TWG:

I have to admit that it's a really fair solution from Bang & Olufsen!

As it seems official:
Can we ask our dealers to get the free Chromecast Audio and USB/Line-Adapter? Afterwards Spotify is back on your Beosound 5 and the ML-Network. Sounds fair. From the premium / luxury company perspective they had to act proactive and inform us BEFORE Spotify was removed. That would have saved them a few disapointed customers. :)

You probably know....

....but for those who don't:

It is possible to group ChromeCast devices ((using the Google Home app).

If you have one of the B&O-devices with support for casting (or from any other brand), you can include that with your BS5 playing from the ChromeCast dongle - and the possible linkrooms.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
650 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Tue, Jun 27 2017 5:52 PM

Do you remember this image from Peter Pan?

View this post at http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/444/188010.aspx#188010

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,333 Posts
Bronze Member

That's a BS Encore - much easier because no USB-soundcard is needed.

And probably a must have there, since the Encore never had Spotify.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 3 of 6 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS