rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 82 Replies | 5 Followers

tat960
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
tat960 posted on Thu, Jun 22 2017 7:51 PM

We just received the following announcement from Spotify:

“We want to give you a heads up that Spotify support will soon be removed from your Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 5 speaker. 

We want to make playing Spotify on your speaker and other devices better and easier which means regrettably that we sometimes have to discontinue device-specific integrations.

For alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotify on your product, please contact your Bang & Olufsen store.

Thanks and keep rocking, 
Spotify”

96 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

We have a BeoSound 5 connected to B&O speakers.  What does this announcement mean for us?  What are the “alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotfy on your product?”

All Replies

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,084 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 8:47 AM

Rob.B:

you can probably use a Google Chromecast audio. relatively cheap option, you just wont have album or track listings displayed on the BS5

Chromecast supports spotify, and lets you 'cast' your music from your phone/ipad/etc over wifi direct to the device.

probably the best option for Beosound 5 users that can't live without spotify.

Get the Behringer USB-Audioninterface for the Beosound 5, plug in the Chromecast Audio or use a Bluetooth Audio adapter and use your phone / tablet to stream to it.

Behringer USB-Audiointerface UCA222:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucontrol_uca_222.htm

Bang & Olufsen doesn't get many things right nowadays, but this time it's clearly NOT their fault!
There's only one to blame: Spotify! They did it to our Beosound 5, not B&O!

beoandy
Top 200 Contributor
sissi not kangaroo
272 Posts
Gold Member

will there be a softwareupdate from b&o in the beosound5 to erase the spotify menu option and the logo?  i do not want see this every day ;-)

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, BV9, BV6-22, BS 5, BS 4500, BS 7000, BC 9500, Beo6, BL Penta, F1000, BLGW, etc....

lano
Top 500 Contributor
160 Posts
Bronze Member
lano replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 8:58 AM
If B&O cares about their customers they will implement Apple Music or another music service as a replacement to Spotify. Time will tell how they look on their customer base. I will not spend any more many on B&O until I see some action from their side. B&O can't blame their suppliers (Spotify), they are fully responsible against their customers. They choose to implement Spotify as a music service and now the product that they have sold and marketed doesn't live up to what they told us.
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,084 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 9:05 AM

If you can't get specific "parts" from your supplier anymore you can blame him for sure... BUT you have to find a solution, quickly!

But I agree that B&O is fully responsible for their customers satisfaction.

Does B&O care about their customers?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,333 Posts
Bronze Member

beoandy:

will there be a softwareupdate from b&o in the beosound5 to erase the spotify menu option and the logo?  i do not want see this every day ;-)

What happens if you delete the account - any 'optical' change?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

beoandy
Top 200 Contributor
sissi not kangaroo
272 Posts
Gold Member
beoandy replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 10:18 AM

Millemissen:

beoandy:

What happens if you delete the account - any 'optical' change?

MM

okay, that was easy! thanks mm!

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, BV9, BV6-22, BS 5, BS 4500, BS 7000, BC 9500, Beo6, BL Penta, F1000, BLGW, etc....

thomassteen
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

It turns out this is indeed B&O's problem. They rely on the libspotify.dll library (can be seen in the program folder on the BM5). This library was already deprecated in 2015 (https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/#libspotify-and-cocoalibspotify-downloads) and was announced at that time to be shut down in 2017. B&O have had plenty of time to react to this. They could have implemented support for the newer Web API - or added support for another music service. 

I am thinking that maybe one could write a wrapper for the now support Web API, in a "fake" libspotify.dll. But not sure how difficult that would be....

Sucks...

georgey007
Top 500 Contributor
74 Posts
Bronze Member
This is all very disappointing!!!! And the new products also not holding what the B&O promise should be .... very good and simple to operate products Sad
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,442 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 12:31 PM

lano:
They choose to implement Spotify as a music service and now the product that they have sold and marketed doesn't live up to what they told us.

Is there any legal recourse?  I'm sure some customers will be looking at that already...   Those who can't be bothered will just stop using their BS5 and vow never to buy B&O again.  Either way it's a 'lose' for B&O.

I know Spotify hold all the cards here, so B&O can't really be blamed for Spotify not being available. However, some kind of replacement should be made available.

A bit of clever marketing would have been to make a positive out of a negative. B&O seem to be pretty useless at that.

Here's what I'd do....

Let's say a Moment costs £700 to make. I don't know what it costs, but I doubt it's more than £700 as most of the development costs will now be paid.

It sells at circa £1,800.  

Send a letter to every BeoSound 5 customer and say the following - in plenty of time before Spotify is taken off their machine...

"Dear Mr/Mrs Customer

Bang & Olufsen would like to make something up to you, before it's happened.  Yes, it's a strange way to do things, but at B&O we really do care.  In 2 months, Spotify have decided to withdraw support for your BeoSound 5.  We have tried to keep it for you, but sadly there was nothing we could do...

We realise that many of our customers bought the BeoSound 5 with Spotify inside high on their priority list, and for many people this was the deciding factor in buying the equipment back then. It may have been some years ago, but we are still committed to you having a long and enjoyable period of ownership.

So, with this in mind, may we offer you a 50% discount on a brand new Moment?  You can keep your existing BeoSound 5 - and perhaps use it in another room or gift it to a friend to let someone new discover Bang & Olufsen. The choice is yours.

All we ask you to do is contact your nearest dealer who will arrange everything for you.  As long as you are the original purchaser of the BeoSound 5 and bought it from our official dealer network - you're covered, and we'd love to make good on our promise.

Etc Etc."

This way you look like you actually give a damn, you're addressing a problem before it becomes an issue, you're not losing money (the dealer can get the £200 to cover admin and make a small profit) AND, most importantly, the customer is going into a dealership where they can see the current product range and potentially make a purchase of some speakers - or more.

Is this a stupid idea by me?

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,084 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 12:45 PM

9 LEE:

No, it's the only way to do sustainable business!

Despite that the Moment looks like a cheap China toy that was released after finishing 80% of the exterior design and the Beosound 5 looks like a real Bang & Olufsen product. Wink

Another cheaper option would be to offer e.g. the Behringer interface to offer AUX-input on the Beosound 5 and a Bluetooth-Adapter. That would be the most compatible option to use any music service from your phone / tablet.

beoandy
Top 200 Contributor
sissi not kangaroo
272 Posts
Gold Member
beoandy replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 12:49 PM

9 LEE:

This way you look like you actually give a damn, you're addressing a problem before it becomes an issue, you're not losing money (the dealer can get the £200 to cover admin and make a small profit) AND, most importantly, the customer is going into a dealership where they can see the current product range and potentially make a purchase of some speakers - or more.

hi lee!

as I wrote a few postings before...

I think b&o has now (only with a good support!) this options:

-       pay license fee to Spotify and find a solution.

-       softwareupdate to integrate Spotify connect to beosound5

-       softwareupdate to integrate deezer to beosound5

-       swap offer to upgrade to the moment (inkl. Nl/ml converter if needed)

-       reduced price of a beosound essence for beosound5 costumer

but I think this all not gonna happened. 

Rob
Not Ranked
Germany
17 Posts
Bronze Member
Rob replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 1:19 PM
Way to go Lee. That would have been a preferred proactive customer oriented solution. As I said B&O need to get their act together. Sounds harsh, but that's my response to loosing my Euros and packing my BS5 away.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,333 Posts
Bronze Member

@9 LEE

This way they would also benefit from selling....

....a lot of NL/ML Converters 

:-( or :-) ---- depending on your sense of humour.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Teletom
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Silver Member
@ 9 Lee

I like the tone of your proposed letter very much, Lee!

Such a letter would give BS5 customers a feeling they are backed up.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
887 Posts
Bronze Member

I like Lee's idea. I would also be satisfied with B&O re-purposing their coding to support Deezer instead of Spotify. I'm sure it's not quite as easy as that, but I'm not a programmer. Also, software programming seems to be B&O's very week point right now and they can't even get things sorted in other areas. For example, the spotty Essence Remote connections, the pulling of the BeoMusic App before having things sorted with the new Bang & Olufsen app, and the random music blasts at full volume of the NL music products. Any one of these issues would be inexcusable. The fact that there are so MANY software issues is just disastrous if B&O wants customers to keep faith in the company.

While I like the Moment, the limitation that it does not support 5Ghz networks is a real issue. That really needs to be updated to be consistent across all of the products. I also really thought that by now there would be some different options to the woodgrain finish.

I truly love(d) the BeoSound 5. It has a unique interface that was designed to keep the spirit of approaching a music player and have the tactile experience of selecting music. Something that truly kept that B&O "magic." While the BeoSound 5 has been around for some years, we must keep in mind that it was the flagship music player for B&O and was QUITE expensive. I feel that investment deserves some care from B&O.

Page 2 of 6 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS