rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 82 Replies | 5 Followers

tat960
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
tat960 posted on Thu, Jun 22 2017 7:51 PM

We just received the following announcement from Spotify:

“We want to give you a heads up that Spotify support will soon be removed from your Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 5 speaker. 

We want to make playing Spotify on your speaker and other devices better and easier which means regrettably that we sometimes have to discontinue device-specific integrations.

For alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotify on your product, please contact your Bang & Olufsen store.

Thanks and keep rocking, 
Spotify”

96 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

We have a BeoSound 5 connected to B&O speakers.  What does this announcement mean for us?  What are the “alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotfy on your product?”

All Replies

Rob.B
Top 500 Contributor
Melbourne
179 Posts
Bronze Member
Rob.B replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:02 AM

you can probably use a Google Chromecast audio. relatively cheap option, you just wont have album or track listings displayed on the BS5

Chromecast supports spotify, and lets you 'cast' your music from your phone/ipad/etc over wifi direct to the device.

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
78 Posts
Bronze Member

already the case !!!

BS 5 says " need premium subscription"

I'm beyond mad !!!! Just paid 800 euro (motherboard) after 6 years and now I lose 1/3 of its possibbility's !!! And removing Spotify after what 3 years !?

I want beo4 control in every room to play next or choose playlist (i numbered them or added them to color).

Either they integrate Deezer or spotify again !!!

All other solutions are sub-par. And this without any notice, digusting on a 60K+€ installation. I don't think I will be able to defend B&O ever again if this is really the case.

Gary
Top 500 Contributor
Phoenix, Arizona
53 Posts
Bronze Member
Gary replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 7:17 PM

Frederic,

I can certainly empathize, trust me. It may be a good idea for you to express this concern of Spotify with B&O through their support website as I did yesterday. 

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
842 Posts
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 10:06 PM
Beosound 5, what a disaster!

B&O should be ashamed.

Been saying it for years, now the chickens are coming home to roost!

95% of people I meet who own one hate the thing.
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,397 Posts
Gold Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 10:59 PM
StUrrock:

B&O should be ashamed.

This is not up to B&O.

Spotify can discontinue their app on any platform. It's their prerogative. I understand that they are unwilling to support such a small platform.

Too bad for Beosound 5 owners though, and I understand your frustration.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
842 Posts
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 11:50 PM
Hiort:

This is not up to B&O.

Spotify can discontinue their app on any platform. It's their prerogative. I understand that they are unwilling to support such a small platform.

It is up to B&O

THEY CHOOSE SPOTIFY!
w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
368 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort:

This is not up to B&O.

Spotify have discontinued this platform not B&O, their decision has also affected other AV brands and users alike.
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
842 Posts
Bronze Member
w5bno123:

Spotify have discontinued this platform not B&O, their decision has also affected other AV brands and users alike.

Not much comfort to some people who spent tens of thousands on B&O system only say 5 years ago.
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,084 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 8:35 AM

StUrrock:
w5bno123:

Not much comfort to some people who spent tens of thousands on B&O system only say 5 years ago.

I understand your anger but you only can blame Spotify!
They are responsible NOT B&O.

Personally I don't even comprehend why people don't use standard internetradio instead of paying for a service like Spotify, Tidal, Apple music etc. Internetradio is much more compatible and many many devices are compatible to it and the best part: There's nobody who tells you on which device you can use it!

beoandy
Top 200 Contributor
sissi not kangaroo
272 Posts
Gold Member

Sorry, but we bought the beosound5 at b&o with the Spotify features – so b&o have to care!

For me it sound like a license fee problem between spotify and b&o. what’s next? No deezer on the beosound moment? How long will this work?

I think b&o has now (only with a good support!) this options:

-       pay license fee to Spotify and find a solution.

-       softwareupdate to integrate Spotify connect to beosound5

-       softwareupdate to integrate deezer to beosound5

-       swap offer to upgrade to the moment (inkl. Nl/ml converter if needed)

-       reduced price of a beosound essence for beosound5 costumer

but I think this all not gonna happened.  

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, BV9, BV6-22, BS 5, BS 4500, BS 7000, BC 9500, Beo6, BL Penta, F1000, BLGW, etc....

tat960
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
tat960 replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 4:12 PM

From B&O in Denmark (6/23/2017):

As part of Spotify’s strategy to focus on their own mobile app experience, Spotify has decided to discontinue and remove the embedded Spotify client from your BeoSound 5. This decision does not only affect Bang & Olufsen products but also products from other brands. As this is a Spotify decision, Spotify has sent you this mail.

Please contact Spotify for further information about this decision.

We offer different solution options, so please contact your Bang & Olufsen dealer who will be pleased to assist you in selecting the optimum solution: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/storelocator

We're sorry for the trouble.

Kind regards,

Thomas Roswalld Andersen (Mr) | Customer Service

Bang & Olufsen A/S | Peter Bangs Vej 15 | DK-7600 Struer | Denmark

My response back to B&O in Denmark (6/23/2017): 

After 27 years of enjoying our B&O 5500 series system, in October 2013 we paid major dollars to Bang & Olufsen State Street in Chicago for a BeoSound 5 System (computer, speakers, stands, installation, etc.) that B&O heavily promoted with “Spotify Inside” - a significant reason for this B&O purchase.  After just over three years of use, it is extremely disappointing to learn that we will no longer be able to use Spotify with our relatively new system.  B&O advertised “Spotify Inside”, not Spotify, and it is unreasonable that B&O cannot work with Spotify to insure that the many loyal B&O customers can continue to use Spotify with their B&O systems.  Individuals acting alone will not have the same clout as B&O. 

Your suggestion to contact “your B&O dealer” for the “optimal solution” is a disingenuous.  I have provided our nearest dealer (Bang & Olufsen at ABT Electronics in Glenview, Illinois) with a request for help, but they have not responded.  If there is an “optimal solution”, why can’t you provide it directly to me?  For example, is there any way for an iPhone or iPad to connect with the B&O system through another piece of equipment?

96 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
119 Posts
Bronze Member

Agree, it's a appalling- B&O or Spotify, costumers will leave because of this !

shouldn't be to much reprogramming to get Deezer to, guess they don't care.

Peter

Gary
Top 500 Contributor
Phoenix, Arizona
53 Posts
Bronze Member
Gary replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 6:31 PM

Your letter to Bang & Olufsen is well expressed.  I, too, purchased my Beosound 5 from the State Street Store in Chicago around the same time you did. The store's pitch for the device at the time was like the best love story ever told! It was  a year after, and especially now, that I started to become very disappointed with an extremely expensive purchase.

Rob
Not Ranked
Germany
17 Posts
Bronze Member
Rob replied on Sun, Jun 25 2017 5:16 AM
I had to point out to my dealer that the Spotify labels on the old BS5 stock displayed no longer applied. Nobody is amused, and I feel sorry for the dealers too.

B&O HQ get your act together. Badly negotiated cooperation. Learn from this, what's next, Android?

I packed everything away, out of sight - out of mind.
Page 1 of 6 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS