rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Zabai
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Zabai posted on Tue, May 16 2017 8:45 AM

Hello all,

New on the forum, hope to learn a lot. Last year I found a beogram 1200 at a thriftshop for 3 euro's and got it running after some cleaning and lubrication. It looked a bit lonely so i got it an companion; a beomaster 1200 and a couple of beovox 2700's. The speakers and the beogram are missing its connectors so haven't been able to play them together.

My first question (the first of many i'm sure): the beomaster seems to have a internal speaker, only working on one channel. I surfed the net intensely but never saw a mention of a internal speaker, has somebody been creative with a soldering iron or is this internal speaker original?

hope somebody has the answer,

Alfred

All Replies

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,486 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, May 16 2017 9:18 PM

Not sure where you would put a drive unit in the 1200! Pictures please! Big Smile

Peter

Zabai
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Zabai replied on Mon, May 22 2017 8:47 PM

It took me a while to get around to it, but here are the pictures. Still not sure if its original but it is neatly done. ( sorry the pictures are upside down, dont no why it does that)

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,371 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, May 22 2017 9:33 PM

Thanks for the photos.
Those japanese speakers are definitely NOT original.
Can we see how they look from the underside?
And a photo of the serialnumber label,. please?

Curiously, they seem to be fitted in series... 

Martin 

Orava
Top 75 Contributor
Finland
911 Posts
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, May 29 2017 11:16 AM

Ambiophonic?

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Zabai
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Zabai replied on Wed, May 31 2017 12:25 PM

There isn't really a underside, they're just stuck on the metal, no corresponding opening as you can see.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,371 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, May 31 2017 3:21 PM

Thanks.
Can't be making much sound.
Definitely not original. 

Martin

Zabai
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Zabai replied on Thu, Jun 1 2017 11:22 AM

It doesn't make much sound, but it's not to bad. I take it the wall mounting brackets aren't original either? The sound quality of the beomaster isn't what i expected, does the quality deteriorate with age? If so, can it be refurbished? Did only try it with an beogram 1200 though, not to sure about its state.

thanks for the info,

Alfred

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,371 Posts
Founder

Zabai:

It doesn't make much sound, but it's not to bad. I take it the wall mounting brackets aren't original either? The sound quality of the beomaster isn't what i expected, does the quality deteriorate with age? If so, can it be refurbished? Did only try it with an beogram 1200 though, not to sure about its state.

thanks for the info,

Alfred

Don't judge it by those speakers. Connect decent speakers and it should sound fine - at least to some extent - because it DOES degrade by
the aging of certain components.
Of course it can be refurbished and a servicekit  exists for this model, containing new electrolytic capacitors, tantals, lamps, trimmers...
A certain amount of tech skills, instruments and tools would be needed, though.

The wall brackets are not original either.
The original bracket grips into the thin slots in the square plastic feet.

Martin

Zabai
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Zabai replied on Fri, Jun 2 2017 7:46 AM

I've got a pair of Beovox 2700's connected to it (tested on a other amplifier - they're sounding great) so the speakers aren't the problem. I'll first hook up a cd-player or a other record player to check if that makes a difference and take a look at the connections.

Also i found that when switching from radio to phono sometimes the sound is distorted until i switch back and forth again. I suppose this is caused by a dirty (corroded) switch. Can I just spray some contact cleaner on it?

If all this doesn't help: what would cost a servicekit and where to get it?

Alfred

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,371 Posts
Founder

Contact cleaner - not on it but in it.
- And then work the contacts a dozen times or so to losen oxidation.
The switches will never be completely quiet, there will almost always be some kind of thump sound when switching.

The kit is only available from me. Email me.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS