Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Linking B&O and non B&O

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Hornets
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Hornets posted on Mon, Apr 24 2017 4:50 PM

I have a BeoSound 9000 with 2 Beo Lab 8000 speakers and a BeoLab2000. I also have a BeoVision 7-32 which I am replacing with a non-B&O TV. Is it possible to use the 8000 speakers to service the 9000 and the new TV. I assume the BeoLab2000 will still link by MasterLink. Any help gratefully received.

All Replies

Carsten
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
20 Posts
Bronze Member

The 9000 has (to my knowledge) an AUX port where to you can connect a TV with a headphone or line-out port. You just need a connector cable with AUX at one end and e.g. mini jack at the other end. Do get a cable of good quality to avoid poor audio quality. I have been using this set-up with a Beosound 2300 and a Sony TV. 

Hornets
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Carsten. I use the AUX port to link Google Play so am looking for another possible solution. Perhaps I can link the Google Play source with the new Smart TV?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,238 Posts
Bronze Member

The problem (or challenge, if you wish) is, that most modern tv's don't have a proper analog out connection to use for the Aux-in of the audio system.

You'd need an digital to analog converter for the (mostly) toslink output of the tv.

In most cases you then will have to deal with lipsync problems - some tv's do have some kind of lipsync correction built-in.

And please notice - this solution won't give you the (important) center channel, that a B&O-tv offers.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Hornets
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you. More food for thought. May just use the B&O as a standalone and buy a soundbase/bar to go with the tv.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,063 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Apr 25 2017 11:37 AM

You have enough options :-)

- If your new TV has a headphone or line out jack just use a cable as Carsten said and a small audio-switch-box for using more than one source on the AUX-input of the Beosound.

- If it only has S/PDIF optical output you'll need the D/A-Converter as Milemissen said.

There are automatic solutions for your Situation from Almondo: https://almando.com/index.php/almando-category/almando-multiplay-stereo.html

Another idea is to use a nice preamp which feeds the AUX-Input of your Beosound 9000. That way you have a good solution with enough inputs and remote controlable (depending on the preamp).
For the price of the Almando switch you can get some very good (older) preampflifiers. If you choose an surround/av-preamplifier it will have S/PDIF-inputs, too. If it has a display with custom source naming you can name the inputs like you want and the display will show you always exaxctly which source is feeding your Beosound 9000 AUX-input. Very comfortable.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 150 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
585 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Hornets,

Yes, you can link the new TV to the Beosound to share the Beolab speakers, the Beolab 2000 will continue to function via Masterlink (you can also send sound from the new TV to this speaker if required).

Most non-B&O TVs produce stereo sound only, although you do get the centre channel information as this is split to both the left and right speakers when playing the sound in stereo, so you won't lose any dialogue.

There are several options for connecting your TV to the B&O system, depending on the connections fitted to your TV, I've listed these in order of preference (if the TV doesn't have an analogue audio output, you will also need to add an optical to audio converter as MM mentioned):-

1) If your new TV has red and white AUDIO OUT sockets on the back (with no yellow socket nearby), this will be the best way to send sound from the TV into your B&O audio system.  These sockets may have a symbol showing an arrow pointing OUT of a diamond shape instead of the AUDIO OUT label.  If so, you can use this cable to connect from the Tv to the B&O system:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/52--2rca-5pd-.html

2) If the TV doesn't have these sockets, but it has a spare SCART (21 pin) socket instead, then you can still use the cable above, but you will also need a SCART to RCA adapter, which can be selected from the options at the link below:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/misc/57--scart-rca-block-.html

The cable above would connect to the Aux socket of the B&O audio system.  To listen to the TV, simply press "A.Aux" on the B&O keypad, or select this on the B&O remote control by pressing the "LIST" button until the display shows "A.AUX", then pressing "GO".

Please note that the set of three (red/white/yellow) sockets, and the set of five (red/green/blue/red/white) sockets that are usually to be found on the side or rear panel or most new TVs are INPUTS to the TV, so these are not suitable for taking sound out to the B&O system.

3) If none of the above options are possible, you can use the headphone output into the B&O audio system with this cable instead:- 

http://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67--trs-5pd-.html

Please note that this will switch off the TV speakers and that you will need to set the TV volume quite high, typically 75% of maximum.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards, Steve

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

Carsten
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
20 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm actually using a pre-amp with my SONY TV and my B&O sound system. I use optical out from the TV going into a Yamaha WXC-50 pre-amp. It's a very neat little unit new on the market, at a reasonable price. Plenty of connection options + build in WiFi with AirPlay etc. You can have a look here (click!)  

I have also used the Almando box, which works well, however at the same price point as the WXC-50, that gave me some additional functionality.

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
264 Posts
Bronze Member
jans replied on Tue, Apr 25 2017 9:31 PM
Hi Carsten

Intresting setup! Can you describe in more detail how your system looks like? Inassume your Beosound system feeds into,the WXC, which drives Beolabs?

How do you do volume Control? On the source systems (tv, B&O), or on the WXC?

Final question: don't you miss a Center speaker for Voice when using the tv?

Jan
Carsten
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
20 Posts
Bronze Member
Carsten replied on Tue, Apr 25 2017 10:41 PM

jans:
Hi Carsten

Intresting setup! Can you describe in more detail how your system looks like? Inassume your Beosound system feeds into,the WXC, which drives Beolabs?

How do you do volume Control? On the source systems (tv, B&O), or on the WXC?

Final question: don't you miss a Center speaker for Voice when using the tv?

Jan

Hi Jan - Here is my set-up:

My purpose with the WXC was:

• to allow optical connection to my Beolab speakers WITHOUT going through the Encore (as going through the Encore give Lip Sync problems),
  • to be able to adjust the sound parameters (balance, bass, treble etc.)
  • to give me AirPlay conncetivity. 
  • to allow use of TV without sending sound to the Beolabs. If I connect the optical from the TV directly to the Transmitter, then the Beolabs will always turn on, and the sound parameters could not be adjusted

Volume control: Once the level has been set on the WXC, I just use the TV remote to adjust level.You can btw set the WXC to just pass the sound through bypassing the WXC volume control.

Center speaker for voice. The SONY has two sound options; "TV Sound" that will allow use of TV speakers with the audio system. However this do require a bit of fiddeling with both TV volume and Beolab volume to get balance right. Second option is "Audio System" which will send sound ONLY to the Beolabs. When using this setting I can only adjust sound parameters on the audio system, not on the TV. Before I got the WXC this then meant a little flat sound in the Beolabs. When using the Beolab's I use them without TV sound, and for me it's OK with voices.

In a wired set-up I actually could connect both the Beolab speakers and Beolab Sound system to the WXC as it is able to "trigger" the Beolabs to turn on and off (with the proper cable). Thats at least what the Yamaha sales rep told me :-)

I hope above can answer you questions. If unclear just let me know :-)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS