Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Beomaster 6000 Quad

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 99 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Craig posted on Sat, Apr 15 2017 4:40 PM

Finally getting around to this machine, now I have enough speakers to connect to it! I already had a good look at it cosmetically when it was kindly gifted to me by Peter....looked good then and still does.


All Replies

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

As can be seen the existing coupling is showing signs of failure, I'm thinking maybe a piece of tubing from a fish tank aeration pump or something similar will be required


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

replaced the 5000uf 70v output capacitors with 4700uf 100v components, the 100v should be ok I think. 


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Craig replied on Wed, Apr 26 2017 9:15 PM

I've also taken delivery of the piece of rubber tubing I needed for the motor coupling, 3mm ID x 8mm OD, fits nicely, however I needed to but 1m of the stuff...so i'm good to restore another 30 or so BM6000 quads. I have also ordered replacement indicator ribbon clips from Rudi, seemed unreasonable not to replace the existing clips even if they survived re installation following this job.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,371 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator
Dillen replied on Wed, Apr 26 2017 9:33 PM

Craig:

 I have also ordered replacement indicator ribbon clips from Rudi, seemed unreasonable not to replace the existing clips even if they survived re installation following this job.

Curiously, these clips seem to break fairly often in the states, whereas I have never seen a broken one here.

Martin

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, Apr 27 2017 7:49 AM

Strange I agree......the original clips look fine and still feel quite flexible, though I haven't pushed them very far for fear of snapping one, I will certainly hang onto them for spares just in case.  

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,371 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator
Dillen replied on Thu, Apr 27 2017 9:23 AM

If you push them in sideways, they will not have to bend so much.

Martin

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

look at these capacitors.....amazing how much smaller modern day components have become.


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Of course the mounting brackets wont go near these modern replacements......will need to modify them to suit


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Tone board up next.....


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Halfway mark reached........bit awkward to get at these bits due to the wiring looms, but not impossible.


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Tone board complete and a system test carried out, thus far everything works fine....I haven't replaced the ribbons yet for fear of tearing them as work continues, however the motor and clutch drives all work nice and smoothly now. Next up will be the input board, need to figure out how best to remove it first.


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Need to have a think about this


Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,371 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator
Dillen replied on Mon, May 1 2017 11:44 AM

It's not an easy one to work on. That's for sure.
But you're doing fine.
I would really recommend replacing tantals with tantals, though. A bit more expensive perhaps, but much better for preamplifer/tonecontrol circuits than
conventional alu electrolytics.

Martin

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Ahh.....I didn't know this, I actually thought electrolytics where a better replacement....we live and learn. During gentle pulling and easing I discovered that the power amp was going to lend itself to restoration easier than the preamp board, which still looks awkward to remove.


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

And the other side.....looks like Mr Jarman kindly replaced the skeleton trimmers with pifer type encapsulated units, this leave me with a dilemma as I have acquired 25 turn bourne pots already, but I'm reluctant to change the existing ones just for the sake of it.


Page 3 of 7 (100 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS