DLNA app for IOS with chromecast audio support

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
450 Posts
Bronze Member
steve1977 posted on Sat, Mar 25 2017 7:28 AM

I have been mentioning this topic in a related thread (http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/23560/195418.aspx#195418), but worth to elevate.

With Chromecast becoming universally supported by most B&O products, I would be curious what apps for IOS colleagues are using to stream to chromecast. Spotify and TuneIn are obvious.

However, I have not found any good DLNA app for IOS that allows streaming to chromecast audio devices. VLC has still not implemented chromecast streaming. I dislike the GUI and UX of allcast, goodplayer or C5.

Would be curious to learn what others are using for casting DLNA to chromecast.

All Replies

CB
Top 150 Contributor
> You are Here <
490 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Sat, Mar 25 2017 8:16 AM

Deezer is also obvious...

DS Audio, the Synology NAS audio app. Not wonderful, but simple and it does the job...

Google Home, necessary to check if the streaming is still activated, and to be sure to stop it (I use a BS35 and a Chromecast Audio), and to create groups.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
450 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for your message. I checked out DS Audio and the clean interface looks good to me. However, description says that it requires a Synology NAS to run. Is this correct and/or is there some work-around? Also, I didn't see a notion that it supports chromecasting?

I know Google Home, but did not see that it has a DLNA controller included. Are you sure this is the case? Quick google search did not show.

CB
Top 150 Contributor
> You are Here <
490 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Sat, Mar 25 2017 9:46 AM

The DS Audio app requires a Synology NAS (it's a proprietary app), and also the audio server running on the NAS...

And yes, DSM (Synology OS) supports Chromecast. Other NAS vendor may provide equivalent apps...

The Google Home app is not a player, it only allows the setting of the (chrome)casting (sorry for the misunderstanding).

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
8,940 Posts
Bronze Member

Why not just use the - for ages - built-in DLNA renderer function in the B&O devices to stream from your DLNA server.

I use (or rather used to use) the 8Player or the good old PlugPlayer for that.

They also have support for AirPlay, if your setup should include 'non-B&O' AirPlay devices.

Maybe you are trying to 'group' your Google Cast devices (including 'nonB&O' ones) in order to get a multiroom solution?

That could reason enough for looking for a DNLA player, that has support for google casting.

I have been able to find one as of now!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
450 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:
Why not just use the - for ages - built-in DLNA renderer function in the B&O devices to stream from your DLNA server.

I use (or rather used to use) the 8Player or the good old PlugPlayer for that.

They also have support for AirPlay, if your setup should include 'non-B&O' AirPlay devices.

DLNA and airplay are fine, but both do not allow to do multi-room. DLNA not at all and airplay only from itunes. So, chromecast with its multi-room feature is a lot more convenient

Millemissen:
Maybe you are trying to 'group' your Google Cast devices (including 'nonB&O' ones) in order to get a multiroom solution?

That could reason enough for looking for a DNLA player, that has support for google casting.

I have been able to find one as of now!

You have or you have not?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS