Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Lee
Top 100 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
686 Posts
Silver Member
Lee posted on Sun, Feb 19 2017 7:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I've had an issue with my BG8000 turning itself off when it's supposed to drop the tonearm. The arm moves into the correct position, you hear the muting relay click and the unit turns itself off. After a few seconds it comes back to life and the tonearm returns to its resting position.

So I decided it needs a recap and a check of all those solder points....

Tonight I got it on the bench and reflowed the solder on all the edge of board connectors and the processor connector.

It's now dead... no standby light and no response to any of the buttons. The only sign of life is the light on the opto assembly is lit up.

Any ideas?

Lee

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,610 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Lee,

In times like this you have to get back to basics. Start with the power and work your way to operations.
Open up the Beogram into service position. Check the power from the transformer to the rectifier and verify the DC voltages. You have to make sure nothing funny is going on with the power or else the processor won't function. The transformer assembly has a fuse inside it so it is possible that is blown.

I also have to ask if you checked the solder joints you re-soldered under magnification. Those Beogram PCBs have a lot of small solder pads and it would be very easy to have a short between a couple without realizing it.

Double check your recap work.

It would also be good if you can post several detailed pictures of the boards (component and trace sides).

-sonavor

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,610 Posts
Gold Member

Reading your original post again, since your Beogram opto assembly light illuminates then the transformer fuse must not be blown. Still, check the power supplies especially the +5 VDC to the processor. It sounds like the processor is not functioning now. If you changed the small electrolytic 47uF capacitor inside the processor housing, did you make sure the ground was connected to that correctly? That capacitor is a little tricky to get installed correctly.

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS