Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Restoring a Beomaster 1000

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 109 Replies | 0 Followers

Jeppe
Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeppe posted on Thu, Nov 17 2016 12:48 AM

This is my first post and I am almost completely new to BO! Having had some Tandberg and diverse Danish vintage equipment, I recently has become very interested in BO as well.

I recently bought two Beomaster 1000's. One with white keys and one with black. Both need restoration. I really want to make these work. I am specially interested in the earlier version with germanium transistors.

I opened the white one up today, and it seems a transistor was burned (marked AC128,3). There was black dust above it on the wood cabinet inside. I wonder if this is possible to replace..? Is there any hope?
There may be other problems as well, I don't know yet. But this seems serious.

Where do you find more rare spare parts for your vintage machines?

How wonderful that there was a little envelope on the inside with schematics inside it!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,494 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) chartz replied on Thu, Nov 17 2016 6:25 PM
Verified by Jeppe
Welcome to Beoworld!

And congratulations on your introduction to B&O's wonderful vintage products.

These Beomasters are nice items.

I for one always find the components I need on eBay. The aforementioned transistors are indeed listed there. Do have a look!

Those AC 128 germanium transistors are (were) quite common and not very difficult to find. There were tons of them used in old radios and tape-recorders.

Good luck!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,916 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Jeppe

When I start a new project, I go to Martin (Dillen on this forum) first of all, he can provide most of whats needed, then onto E-bay as Chartz

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

All Replies

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,494 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) chartz replied on Thu, Nov 17 2016 6:25 PM
Verified by Jeppe
Welcome to Beoworld!

And congratulations on your introduction to B&O's wonderful vintage products.

These Beomasters are nice items.

I for one always find the components I need on eBay. The aforementioned transistors are indeed listed there. Do have a look!

Those AC 128 germanium transistors are (were) quite common and not very difficult to find. There were tons of them used in old radios and tape-recorders.

Good luck!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,916 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Jeppe

When I start a new project, I go to Martin (Dillen on this forum) first of all, he can provide most of whats needed, then onto E-bay as Chartz

Jeppe
Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeppe replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 4:59 AM

Thank you Chartz and Sören Mexico!

I have located and ordered the transistor on ebay, you were right, many available. Now I need to change capacitors, still not sure about the best place to get high quality components (live in Sweden). I do hope very much I will be able to bring it back to life!

Yesterday I disassembled it and took out the burned transistor. I don't know if you will find this interesting, or odd, but the fried transistor was made of plastic, while AC128s usually seem to have a metal cover (and all AC128's I found on ebay). I found that odd. It was also not soldered on the board but attached with wires and electrotaped (as insulation) and inserted in a heatsink like thing. However that is maybe standard. Could it be so that BO used a non standard component that subsequently failed..? I attach a photo.

Jeppe
Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeppe replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 5:10 AM

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,321 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 6:27 AM

That mess is definitely not standard.

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,494 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 6:30 AM

Dillen:

That mess is definitely not standard.

Martin

A silicon transistor here? No way! 

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,916 Posts
Bronze Member

Good find, keep on and carefully check everything, someone was in there without knowing what he did

Jeppe
Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeppe replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 3:16 PM

Thanks to you all!

I was right in thinking this was odd then.
I'll post a follow up later.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,321 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Nov 18 2016 4:35 PM

The transistors bias resistor(s) could have been changed too in an attempt to compensate.
Better check the whole circuit.

Martin

Jeppe
Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeppe replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 12:41 AM

It seems nothing else has been changed. The resoldering of the AC128 is obvious though from beneath the board, so it has been exchanged.

I am not sure what this transistor does.. Anyone knows?
Attached is the schematics with it marked. And a photo of the inside of the cabinet..

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,321 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 6:32 AM

Yes, it's part of the voltage regulator circuit.
As a minimum, check also AC126-5 and AD149-5, resistor 906 and Zener 908.
They all work closely together with AC128-3.

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,494 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 12:09 PM
Has anyone seen a germanium transistor give up the ghost in smoke, as a silicon one does?

Methinks the replacement oddity started a fire here... Sad

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,321 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 4:37 PM

Most germanium transistors are housed in metal or glass.
They typically die quietly. Only when really pushed they go with a nasty bang.

Martin

Jeppe
Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeppe replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 9:22 PM

Thanks again for your answersSmile

I think indeed the zener diode 908 is bad. The resistors seem ok. AD149-5 seem ok.
I need to buy a new zener. It is labeled ZF 9,1 on the schematics. I believe that is 9,1 volts, but does anyone know what else I need to know, watts?

An odd thing, or if is it me who misread, is that I get the impression that the schematic and the board plan do not completely match. There is a transistor AC126-5 in schematic, but I can't find it on the board plan, it seems this very transistor has become another AC128-3 here. I could of course pull it out to check what it says but I would prefer not to, it sits there so nicely in what I believe is a heatsink? (which I would probably destroy)

I do wonder if they also mislabeled the fried AC128-3's emitter point on the board plan to be B instead of E..? This can be seen in my previous image if you are interested. Did BO make such mistakes? It must be me who is mistaken, but I can't figure this one out, where does the fried AC128-3's E connection go if not just to that point labeled B..

I am so thankful for your advice!
And this is so much fun!
It is the first time I undertake something like this. It is such a lovely machine in how it is built.

Page 1 of 8 (110 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS