rated by 0 users
This post has 85 Replies | 3 Followers

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Stevegee Posted: Sat, Oct 29 2016 10:07 PM
Interesting visit into my dealers this morning. Listened to the BS1, 2 and A9 back to back, alongside each other. This wasn't planned, walked passed store, saw they had the BS2 in store, so dragged my friend in.

We just used Bluetooth to all three and electronic music, not for everyone but it's what I listen to, mainly. Spotify or DNLA would have been better, but it was a quick visit.

First off and considering this was in a large showroom the BS2 sounded great, my friend was very impressed, as was I. We then compare the BS1 and it just didn't compare to be honest, sounded good but for the price difference to us and the guys working in store, it was an easy decision - I get the bonus of it having a battery but I have a beolit15 - so that isn't important to me. Plus, I still don't like the look of the BS1, but the BS2 is lovely, it's all down to taste of course. The horizontal lines in the 2 just give it something, to my eyes anyway.

Sound wise, the BS2 had more depth, soundstage, power etc and left us a little taken aback to be honest. The lower end was fantastic, mids and treble more balanced, not by much but mids were noticeable.

Interestingly I then asked to play the same music on the a9 and whilst it did sound better, it wasn't much, which amazed us all. I really like the a9, but honestly to our ears the BS2 had something that was very similar - but just looked much better, if you are looking for a multi room speaker. My friend was even thinking this would be his main system, this is the way the hi fi world is going - for most people anyway.

Didn't take any pics, sorry - I can do next time I pass. We were only in there for 20 mins, but I think I will be swapping out my a6 for a BS2 in December when the stock arrives. A lovely piece of kit!

It's all subjective and if you listen to classical or acoustic or at low volume then the BS1 I am sure would be fine. But for me (and others in store) there was a clear difference, for the better with the BS2.

My dealer also said this was the way forward for them, as they have many enquiries and customers going in and purchasing BV's and then these additional speakers for around the house. Not a system (moment/essence) and speakers (Beolabs) anymore. This is in a relatively affluent area of the UK, Bournemouth/Poole.

Needless to say, I liked the BS2's looks and sound

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,409
Gold Member
I just had a listen to the BS2 too and it's great. If that was around when I got the 1 I may not have purchased the 1 but the 2 instead considering that I will have it always plugged in.

It will be interesting to see the it in the brass colour when it comes out.

I would like a way to use the BS1 and the BS2 as speakers with the TV. They would make great rear speakers.

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Stevegee replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 8:09 AM
Yeah, the alternative colours will make it a tough choice, but I think i like the aluminium finish as it is.

Can't see how they could, unless they had WISA on board I suppose. Hadn't thought, as I don't have a BV, but positioning them would be difficult, they would need a wall bracket/stand of some kind to make it work for most. I don't think it will happen.
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,409
Gold Member
Some of us have carefully placed side tables ;-)
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 1,321
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 11:41 AM
Aussie Michael:

I just had a listen to the BS2 too and it's great. If that was around when I got the 1 I may not have purchased the 1 but the 2 instead considering that I will have it always plugged in.

You'll buy a BS2. I just know you will Wink
Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Stevegee replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 12:30 PM
That's what I was thinking Duels
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

Duels:

You'll buy a BS2. I just know you will Wink

'a BS2'?

No, two ;-))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 371
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 1:04 PM

I'd be very surprised if i dont get one for my office at home....

also be very surprised if the BS2 does sound as full as the A9, though your observations are intriguing.....for full disclosure, i have an A9 in my bedroom and think it does an excellent job......(not sure how it compares to the Naim Muso, but the A9 is better than any one box speaker i'd ever heard).....the A9 spec's seem much more powerful than the BS2.....

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Stevegee replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 4:46 PM
Sandyb, I did try to word carefully as the A9 is a bigger sound as you would expect, just not by as much as I (and others in store) thought when played side by side with the BS2. It maybe that the BS2 handles Bluetooth better, i will pop back in when have more time and try Spotify etc. - and take some pics. I didn't go in wanting to like it, so it wasn't that either. I have an a6, so don't really 'need' it Wink

If space isn't a problem then the a9, but if it is then BS2 does a great job for its size and price. Plus I really like the design.
mbolo01
Top 150 Contributor
FRANCE
Posts 413
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 6:03 PM

I did the same test between a BS1 and an A6, it really depends of the music you are listening to.

Source for both was Deezer music stored on my iPhone, but depending on the album, one device could render it better than the other. BS1 is clearer than A6 which is warmer, Inox v.s. plastic I guess

BS Moment, BL 18, BL 19, A6, M5, A1, H5

Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 371
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 6:45 PM

oh sorry, wasnt getting on you at all.....love the first impression, and excited that the BS2 produced an impressive sound.....apologies.....and looking forward to a listen.....

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,147
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 7:26 PM

Duels a big yes, for sure. It is written in the stars... Whistle

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Stevegee replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 10:45 PM
Sandyb:

oh sorry, wasnt getting on you at all.....love the first impression, and excited that the BS2 produced an impressive sound.....apologies.....and looking forward to a listen.....

No problem, didn't think you were
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,409
Gold Member
Millemissen:

'a BS2'?

No, two ;-))

MM

Duels , MM and S ;-).

I'm not sure if I will (just yet) lol
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
Posts 534
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Nov 1 2016 5:06 PM

Thanks to B&O Manchester : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U_NQSEfXuQ

Lets have a Party !!!

benjnz
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52
Gold Member
benjnz replied on Tue, Nov 1 2016 8:27 PM

Right that's the next purchase confirmed then hehehehe Big Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

I seemed to be a question, that nobody did answer (untill now).

Can you control the BeoSound1/2 with the 'wheely'-remote or the BROne/BT as well?

It is - if you read the 'Technical Backgrounder' on the B&O website - possible:

'BeoSound 2 can be operated with BeoRemote One Bluetooth or via the BeoMusic App, or directly on the device itself,

and it can also be paired via the BeoSound Essence Remote.'

This goes for the BS1 too!

However, whether that already is possible - or if it requires a new/next software update, I don't know.

Can anyone confirm or ?

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

The 'backgrounder' can be found here:

http://az498215.vo.msecnd.net/static/files/press/PR%20BeoSound%202%20technical%20backgrounder.doc

MM

BeoHut
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 457
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Sun, Nov 6 2016 12:52 PM
Well MM, I did a test this morning with the wheely and my BS1.

It works as described by B&O.

I don't have a BeoRemote One BT, so cannot test that combo.

Hope this answers (partly) your question.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

Thanks Smile

MM

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,174
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Nov 9 2016 11:28 AM

Effectively, this was the comparison I was looking for.

I love the sound and performance on the A9 (yes, I know, the design is a bit so-so). I can ramp it up in the office and listen to some serious sound. But, I was looking for something smaller, a bit more portable, for the home. Nearly pulled the trigger on an A6, but the BeoSound 2, especially in the new brass colour, is ideal.

Anyone know the RRPs of the brass BS2?

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 500
Bronze Member
moxxey:

Effectively, this was the comparison I was looking for.

I love the sound and performance on the A9 (yes, I know, the design is a bit so-so). I can ramp it up in the office and listen to some serious sound. But, I was looking for something smaller, a bit more portable, for the home. Nearly pulled the trigger on an A6, but the BeoSound 2, especially in the new brass colour, is ideal.

Anyone know the RRPs of the brass BS2?

The brass colour?! Surprise

Really?!! Where??
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,174
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Nov 9 2016 5:13 PM

paolomariano:

The brass colour?! Surprise

Really?!! Where??

I *think* I received some kind of promo from B&O Cheltenham saying there's brass versions of certain B&O products incoming? One was the BS2? Maybe I dreamt that!

Anyone else?

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,174
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Nov 9 2016 5:17 PM

Here's the brochure..

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 500
Bronze Member
moxxey:

Here's the brochure..

Wow!! Thanks!!

I didn't know about it!!

I think I like it! Smile
daneshpastry
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member

Are they actually brass, or just coloured aluminum? I recall seeing pictures of various colours that were to be released at some point in the future, but I don't recall this particular colour.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 1,321
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Nov 9 2016 8:19 PM
From the brochure I got it seems it includes the BV14 and BL18s so I'm sure they are actually aluminium.

Saw the 18s in my local store with the smoked oak lamellas. Looked great.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

Of cource they are aluminium - and Made in Struer.

MM

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,174
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Nov 9 2016 10:19 PM

daneshpastry:

Are they actually brass, or just coloured aluminum? 

Of course they are not solid brass. That would be mental (not forgetting the oxidisation issues). They are brass coloured.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

Yes - and there will be more colours.

(I have seen them.)

MM

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 279
Gold Member
Mark-N replied on Thu, Nov 10 2016 10:03 AM

Millemissen:

Yes - and there will be more colours.

(I have seen them.)

MM

Any idea when?

I am going up to nearest dealer tomorrow, about a 2 hour drive, to hear the BeoSound 1 and 2.  I probably won't buy yet, especially if the new colors are coming, but I do want to hear the difference between the two. While I like the idea of the "1" having a battery for portability, psychologically it would lose value to me 3 or so years into ownership when the battery begins to degrade and I can't easily replace it.  Chances are that dealer won't be around by that time! Indifferent

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

Mark-N:

Any idea when?

No, not at all!

It probably takes a long time to ship these unit to China to be assembled with the 'interals' there...

...and to ship them back to the shops/costumers.

And it might also be a 'marketing decision' to decide when the hit the market.

MM

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 279
Gold Member
Mark-N replied on Thu, Nov 10 2016 11:46 AM

That makes it tough!  Knowing that additional colors may be available someday but wanting to enjoy it now!  I don't need it now... but...  From my track record I can be assured that new colors will not be introduced until right after I buy one!!!

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,463
Gold Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Nov 10 2016 2:23 PM

Mark-N:

That makes it tough!  Knowing that additional colors may be available someday but wanting to enjoy it now!  I don't need it now... but...  From my track record I can be assured that new colors will not be introduced until right after I buy one!!!

Isn't that the way it always is? As soon as you commit to it and buy something, something different or better comes out! Which is why after I buy something I tend to ignore the market for a while, if I buy a car I tend not to look too closely at the next year's model for a while. Seems to work to temper buyer's remorse!

I've thought two things about B&O in colors...first that some of the colors look stunning (some also look kind of odd, must be that Danish color sense), and secondly how difficult it might be later if I decide to change furnishings, which is why I've always bought the standard aluminum colored stuff. It seems to blend well with many different decor and accent colors. For my 9s I have both black and the red frets, but use the black. White would also work, but would be less dramatic, but black still is a pretty neutral color. They do look quite stunning with the red frets, but that isn't perfect for my room.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,142
Bronze Member

@Jeff

You could use the red ones for Christmas.

Nowadays that is for 2 months or more - worth the trouble of redesigning ;-))

MM

daneshpastry
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member

I agree with going neutral - I tend to pick the "fun" colour only when something isn't as important/long-lasting, etc. Having said that, I'd love to see some of the other neutral colour options like black or grey, especially if they are more matte, as they appear in the photos.

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 126
Bronze Member
Stevegee replied on Thu, Nov 10 2016 4:18 PM
As promised some pics - I was passing the store earlier

daneshpastry
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member

Pretty. They're not unlike those essential-oil vaporiser things, but I still like the design very much.

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,463
Gold Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Nov 10 2016 9:36 PM

Millemissen:

@Jeff

You could use the red ones for Christmas.

Nowadays that is for 2 months or more - worth the trouble of redesigning ;-))

MM

Ha! Yeah, they already are putting out the Christmas stuff in the stores and it's two weeks before Thanksgiving! Didn't even wait for the Halloween candy to get stale!

Don't give my Christmas loving wife any ideas though or she'll have little green holly leaves cut out and tacked onto the red covers and be impatiently waiting for me to change the frets!

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,409
Gold Member

daneshpastry:

Pretty. They're not unlike those essential-oil vaporiser things, but I still like the design very much.

Id buy one on the spot if I could use it with my avant for movies as rears or presence speakers.

Page 1 of 3 (86 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS