Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

BV14 and Beovision Horizon - any feedback?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 371 Replies | 11 Followers

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Bucharest, Romania
903 Posts
Gold Member
Guy posted on Sat, Oct 8 2016 4:30 PM

Considering that both the BV14 and Beovision Horizon have been out for several weeks there's been very little feedback on this forum!  Does anyone have either and is in a position report how they have got on?  Or is everyone hanging on for the anticipated new TVs next summer?

I am in the market for a new B&O TV and would like to purchase this side of Xmas.  I have been very disappointed with 'android' in the past (albeit with a tablet), hence I am particularly interested in the new android interface and whether the SW runs well?

Anyone?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
65 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) BartS replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 1:00 PM
Verified by kuyttendaele

I have just been informed that there indeed is a bug in the audio-part of the software and that this will be rewritten. As the connection with the Beoremote One BT concerns; there should not be a connection issue. B&O thinks the problem should be within the TV and that the TV should be shut off from power for a time (+ half an hour). Afterwards the remote should not have connection issues anymore.

Sjengie
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Sjengie

I have been using the BV 40 since launch and I do have many software glitches which none of the updates have solved yet.

I am also waiting for update to connect to my wireless speakers eg beosound 1. The TV stops at times without any reason, the TV guide crashed all the time. Sometimes you switch it on and the remote is bklocked after which you have to unplug and plug it again. I can go on and on ...

Dealer says updates are coming and it will take time. Is okay for me but my wife hates it.

Worst is that netflix app does not work on the beovision. 

My dealer told me that B&O recommends to use apple tv. Some argue between B&O and Netflix.

Unbelieveable. I have a subscription with Netflix, I should be able to use it.

The TV itself looks very very nice but is too buggy if you ask me.

I give it another month or so, if the Android glitches are not solved soon I will return it.

good luck

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
65 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) BartS replied on Sun, Mar 12 2017 4:19 PM
Verified by boskonay

As said before: at this stage you have to contact your dealer. He passes your serial number through to B&O and subsequently the update will be transferred to your Beovision. I guess it wil take a few weeks before the update is automatically transferred to all the NG Beovisions.

TEL
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) TEL replied on Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:00 PM
Verified by TEL

Many thanks Sandyb - I'll probably go ahead with Avant NG 55 later this week

All Replies

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
1,314 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 11:47 AM
Sandyb:

Imagine if there is a price rise in the pipeline it will be for everything surely? Everything in the UK will be going up for currency related reasons...Apple raised all U.K. prices for that reason, why would B&O leave some out?

Very true.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Corbridge, UK
2,954 Posts
Gold Member
Sandyb:

Imagine if there is a price rise in the pipeline it will be for everything surely? Everything in the UK will be going up for currency related reasons...Apple raised all U.K. prices for that reason, why would B&O leave some out?

The pound has been lower against Euro before, and nothing changed. And I don't remember Beovisions getting cheaper when the pound was up 1.44 against the Euro eitherWhistle

Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Avant RF 28, Beolab 5,  Beolit 15,  Beoplay A1/A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H3 ANC/H8/H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 12:52 PM

thats a fair point, although the last time the pound dipped this low was immediate aftermath of Lehman brothers, and rose steadily afterwards, albeit not back to where to started from........this may be different though, as foreign producers may not view the decline as temporary, i.e that the pound will remain relatively depressed, so i'd be very surprised if they did not pass through at least some of the exchange rate effect........

FT this weekend reports that Microsoft and Dell are joining Apple in raising UK prices, so i'd start from the premise that this is a general move, and work backwards from there........

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,873 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb:

From what I understand it is the same TV just with the new Android software....

It runs on new hardware
Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 9:17 PM

ah, didnt know that, wasnt what i was told in a brief conversation with my dealer......thanks, will be interesting to see then.......not sure what new hardware extends to, new actual panel?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,873 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb:

ah, didnt know that, wasnt what i was told in a brief conversation with my dealer......thanks, will be interesting to see then.......not sure what new hardware extends to, new actual panel?

Yes a lot of things have changed. Mainly the metal box and the speakers are the same. But I think even there there are changes because of mounting changes and so on. I think new panel too. But probably not hdr. Which is a pity. Even the iPhone, iPad and new MacBook Pro has the extended color gamuts so I would have enjoyed that on a B&O screen too.
Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 9:59 PM

yes i think that was largely my point, however badly made....it will be a broadly similar proposition, albeit with the new software platform.....and likely not enough of a difference for existing avant owners to switch up....after all the 12-65 and 12-65 NG werent too different, unless i'm mistaken....but i guess we will see soon enough....

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,873 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Oct 30 2016 10:18 PM
Sandyb:

yes i think that was largely my point, however badly made....it will be a broadly similar proposition, albeit with the new software platform.....and likely not enough of a difference for existing avant owners to switch up....after all the 12-65 and 12-65 NG werent too different, unless i'm mistaken....but i guess we will see soon enough....

Yes it is that kind of upgrade (hence the name) but i would say that the NG switch was quite a big thing on the 12-65 even if it didn't look like it. For example the beosystem 4 made it possible to upgrade software and puc without a service call and personnel coming to your house for upgrades.

And better product integration (without masterlink) and so on. So quite a big change.

This will be almost the same, a new computer more or less. Only the design will be the same.

However I am not sure the update will be a better tv, except for having hdcp on all ports and some 4K codecs in the hardware (but those are likely to change in the future anyway so)
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,137 Posts
Bronze Member

As for real-life differences - maybe we will know better/more, when it comes into the shops...

...and into the homes of some of us.

Generally speaking the same hardware/software as in the BV14/BV Horizon will be in the NG-Avant.

I would not expect any support for HDR and co before the LG/B&O-tv's arrive.

By then these features will be mature and finally standardized - and by then we will probably even have (more) content for it.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
449 Posts
Gold Member

I was told by a dealer last week that the new TVs with the LG screens are not expected till earliest end of 2017 but more likely to be spring 2018.

Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 12:26 PM

Yes i agree, and have alluded to this in the past........the issue B&O seem to have is that OLED screens may not be yet at the stage where they last long (say meaningfully beyond 5 years).....and that is key to the pitch of B&O at their current prices.......so yes OLED screens will still function at 5y years +, but their performance may dull somewhat.......so given what i've been told, i wouldn't expect anything in shops until then as well....

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,358 Posts
Gold Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 12:35 PM

badgersurf:

I was told by a dealer last week that the new TVs with the LG screens are not expected till earliest end of 2017 but more likely to be spring 2018.

A bit disappointing and bad for B& O if nothing is happening in their Beovision lineup during the whole of 2017.

Guess they have to start communicating around the new TVs during autumn 2017.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,137 Posts
Bronze Member

badgersurf:

I can hardly believe that.

I heard from a 'reliable source', that the 'guys in charge' already have seen prototypes.

But - as usual - we can only speculate.....

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Bv7Mk3
Top 100 Contributor
uk
741 Posts
Bronze Member
As for b and o standard in 2017/18 tv's are now coming in with 120 frame rate play back as the norm. Look at the coming lg ect.
KMA
Top 150 Contributor
385 Posts
Gold Member
KMA replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 9:46 PM
badgersurf:

Makes sense. The TVs just recently launched will be "relevant" longer and have more prime time on the market.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Page 9 of 25 (372 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS