rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 31 Replies | 0 Followers

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
980 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal posted on Sat, Oct 1 2016 7:54 PM

I've got an Essence Gen 2 with an Essence Table Remote. This morning I came downstairs and began listening to music triggered by the BeoPlay App. I sat down in my chair and attempted to adjust the volume with the Essence Table remote. Nothing happened. I pressed the solid circle to pause the music, nothing happened. I thought the batteries were dead, so I replaced the AAA batteries in the Essence remote. Tried again, nothing. so I thought I might want to re-pair the remote. I opened up beosetup app and removed the paired remote from the Essence in the hopes that I could start fresh. Removed the remote, and used Essence manual to re-pair the remote, it didn't work. I used the steps outlined in the Table Remote Manual, it didn't work. I even tried to use the steps outlined in the "how to pair with an A6 or A9, but for the essence, by opening up the Beosetup app and initiating pairing from there, it didn't work.

I have confirmed that the Essence remote is set up correctly by checking the mode, LED A flashes which means it is not paired to anything.

I believe the fault is either something I'm doing incorrectly, or with the Table remote. When the blue pairing light behind my Essence box is flashing blue. I press and hold the top dot on the Essence and according to the manuals it should begin to flash. What happens is that the LED blinks for a split second rather than flashing. If I keep the dot held down, it keeps doing the same thing. blinks for a split second, pause with no led, and blinks again for a split second. If I remove my finder from the dot, it flashes every second. All the while the Essence's blue pairing light keeps flashing solid blue. Not even an orange.

Is there a way to perhaps factory reset the Essence Remote? Do I have to maybe factory reset the Essence to see if that'll work?

What am I doing wrong? Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
117 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Sal
Hi Sal, I recently had exactly the same thing - and I mean exactly. I took the remote into my dealers and they tested it without any problems and they kept it for a few days. So I knew it wasn't the remote. We agreed I should then try resetting my essence (using beosetup, select product->settings->reset) and re paired the remote (again using the app). I then turned it off and on again - to check, and it all worked fine again and has done now for the last couple of weeks. So yes that should work.

To flow this on, I recently had an engineer from dealers around to price up horizon install - he asked how the remote was - he also noticed my router is not far from the essence (less than 1 metre) and said that the the problem was probably that their was something else on my router using the same wavelength the remote and essence were trying to use (I didn't know this about Bluetooth) and the reset and re pairing would have changed that wavelength - I'm still not sure, but he seemed confident. My router hasn't been turned off during this either. Hope this helps?

All Replies

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
117 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Sal
Hi Sal, I recently had exactly the same thing - and I mean exactly. I took the remote into my dealers and they tested it without any problems and they kept it for a few days. So I knew it wasn't the remote. We agreed I should then try resetting my essence (using beosetup, select product->settings->reset) and re paired the remote (again using the app). I then turned it off and on again - to check, and it all worked fine again and has done now for the last couple of weeks. So yes that should work.

To flow this on, I recently had an engineer from dealers around to price up horizon install - he asked how the remote was - he also noticed my router is not far from the essence (less than 1 metre) and said that the the problem was probably that their was something else on my router using the same wavelength the remote and essence were trying to use (I didn't know this about Bluetooth) and the reset and re pairing would have changed that wavelength - I'm still not sure, but he seemed confident. My router hasn't been turned off during this either. Hope this helps?
egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
216 Posts
Silver Member
egges replied on Mon, Oct 3 2016 9:21 PM

thanks for the wavelength information. i'm on the was to my dealer tomorrow with exactly the same problem: every two weeks plusminus my remote looses connection to the essence 

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (3rd. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones) und als Frühstücksradio gewissermaßen: A6 oxidised brass SE

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
216 Posts
Silver Member
egges replied on Mon, Oct 3 2016 9:23 PM

i'm on the way (not was)

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (3rd. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones) und als Frühstücksradio gewissermaßen: A6 oxidised brass SE

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
117 Posts
Bronze Member
Egges - frustrating isn't it! Although mine had been fine for over a year before this happened.
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
980 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Oct 4 2016 12:56 AM

Thanks all, glad to hear I'm not alone, but a the same time, I'm sorry to hear other's have experienced this.

As Stevegee mentioned, what finally worked was a rest of the Essence Box itself. Full Factory reset of the Essence Box. After that, the Remote paired just fine on the first try. Why this happened in the first place, I haven't a clue, totally out of the blue.

After resetting the Essence box, though, my BL20 speakers behaved strangely. That is, only my R speaker produced sound - both logos were lit.

I disconnected from the Essence and tested them on WISA from my BV, and they both worked, so it has to do with the Essence or the connection with it. So I performed a speaker reset by unplugging them both from the mains for a moment, and replugged them in again -- effectively resetting the speakers now, and all is well. Strange Strange.

I was told that it might have been a lockup of the Essence Box itself for which a manual reset usually does the trick. 

Like yours, Stevegee, mine had been fine for over a year... though what I notice now, is that the Essence Remote is much more responsive than it was before. Do you also notice the same thing?

Stevegee
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
117 Posts
Bronze Member
Glad to hear.

Yes, you are right Sal, it is working better than before. Like you say - strange
egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
216 Posts
Silver Member
egges replied on Wed, Oct 5 2016 4:59 PM

thanks at all here. I´m kinda special with my permanent loosing of connection. I´ll do B&O´s workaround with the IR-eye Smile

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
6,802 Posts
Founder
Very useful thread that shall be using on the weekend.

When (if) I do reset do I loose the accounts and passwords ?

BeoNut since '75

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
216 Posts
Silver Member
egges replied on Fri, Oct 7 2016 12:09 AM

everything will be gone. i'm curious how many of you suffer so much as I do and gonna switch to the IR-mode.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
980 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Oct 7 2016 2:36 AM

egges:

everything will be gone. i'm curious how many of you suffer so much as I do and gonna switch to the IR-mode.

I didn't like the almost jerky bluetooth response time up until I had this "reset" incident, and was considering switching to IR mode (with the purchase of an IR eye), but since this incident, the BT is downright almost an immediate response. Perhaps another reset and attempt for you Egges?

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
216 Posts
Silver Member
egges replied on Fri, Oct 7 2016 7:27 AM

they know in Struer about the issues (and are still working on it) and the first step is to reset the essence of course. if, in some cases (mine e.g.) that doesn't work they recommend to switch to the IR-mode, i.e. i'll get the IR-eye for free and i expect the parcel service to ring on saturday. i really was about 50 times on the chair to reset or to push the pairing button of the essence. so don't stop to complain at your dealer if necessary

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
6,802 Posts
Founder
Well inspired by this thread I reversed the pairing sequence I had been using.

Voila I am now paired.

And the nice thing is I now get visual feedback ... when I twiddle the wheel the IREye flashes green ! And the unit behaves !!

Thanks 🙏 guys

BeoNut since '75

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
980 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Oct 8 2016 2:51 PM

Elephant, can you explain what your situation was and the exact steps you took?

Have you always had an IR eye connected to your essence? If you hadn't, why did you go that route?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
6,802 Posts
Founder
Sal:

Elephant, can you explain what your situation was and the exact steps you took?

Have you always had an IR eye connected to your essence? If you hadn't, why did you go that route?

I started with the wheel, but had wanted to be able to use the standard IR remotes.

So I bought the IREye - and between it and a Beo4 and/or a BR1 I had some success but not 💯 % of what I wanted.

So I went back to wanting to use the wheel whilst leaving the IREye in place.

Somewhere along the way I lost pairing. My suspicion is it was an update but who knows.

Over several months I tired repairing. I always started with the wheel flashing green and then pressing the Essence's button to flash blue.

Never got a successful pair.

Reading the forum prompted me to reverse what I believe was the originally documented sequence. Bingo: going blue then green worked.

Hope that helps.

Did I answer the question you were asking ?

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS