rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W posted on Wed, May 11 2016 11:20 PM

Have Apple gone totally crazy? I for one like to buy a download and would never want to 'rent' my music. Apple to end iTunes downloads in 2 years time!!!

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/11/apple-ending-itunes-music-downloads/

All Replies

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 12 2016 12:29 PM

I agree with Michael. Michael is for sharing. Apple Music is £10 a month in the UK for what? A radio station? It's gone the minute you stop paying? But for what??????? Go to Youtube and watch the HD and download it if you love it. But seriously, why would you rent??? I'd rather buy 10-12 iTunes/Amazon/Google/Beatport single downloads which I can keep and give to friends :)

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 12 2016 12:34 PM

TWG I agree with your comments and yes, since the Apple watch etc, I realise that about Apple. Damn shareholders greed I guess!

Maybe the guy who posted about B&O bringing back vintage hifi actually had a point. With the hate from the B&O Moment and shallowness of the cloud world, will people turn their backs on computer technology for music & video and go back to physical formats. The 100th Anniversary B&O 5000 series and Ouverture may just happen...

Exciting but bizarre times in the music world! Will we see a BluRay HD disc that holds hundreds of 24bit tracks or a new disc music standard? Who knows.

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 12 2016 2:09 PM

Personally, I think this rumour was 100% true. It was Apple testing the waters. It was doing market research!

Reminds of the "trial balloons" politicians float to friendly press to test out public reaction to controversial ideas. The iTunes idea didn't just come from some bored mischief maker.

Seems like Apple was just testing this idea, saw the pushback and quickly sought to extinguish the fire before it caused real damage.

linder
Top 75 Contributor
United States
983 Posts
Founder
linder replied on Thu, May 12 2016 4:22 PM

Paul W:

Personally, I think this rumour was 100% true. It was Apple testing the waters. It was doing market research!

Reminds of the "trial balloons" politicians float to friendly press to test out public reaction to controversial ideas. The iTunes idea didn't just come from some bored mischief maker.

Seems like Apple was just testing this idea, saw the pushback and quickly sought to extinguish the fire before it caused real damage.

I agree.  Apple is testing public reaction to this and the idea of no longer having the plug for headphones.  Headphones would use the lightning port on the iPhone resulting in a thinner iPhone and better sound in the DAC enabled headphone.  I think these things will ultimately happen but not this year.  I am hoping that Apple will entice customers with lossless streaming in Apple Music.  I love Apple Music and don't mind the $10 a month.  I did stop the subscription for about two months but when I restarted subscribing, all the music came back.  All my devices work well with Apple Music including Apple watch.  In a few months, I am planning on selling or donating my CDs,  That will be one less thing in storage.

Bang and Olufsen should get out of the music player business,  They don't do software very well and the future will find them left behind.  I love B&O other products especially the speakers.  I must admit though with so few stores in the US, it is becoming difficult to maintain my enthusiasm for the brand.

I purchase Beoplay products from Amazon because it is easier and I can return products I don't like without question.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
1,681 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, May 12 2016 4:42 PM
Streaming is the way the young people want to do things these days guys.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
1,681 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, May 12 2016 5:03 PM

Paul W:

I agree with Michael. Michael is for sharing. Apple Music is £10 a month in the UK for what? A radio station? It's gone the minute you stop paying? But for what??????? Go to Youtube and watch the HD and download it if you love it. But seriously, why would you rent??? I'd rather buy 10-12 iTunes/Amazon/Google/Beatport single downloads which I can keep and give to friends :)

There's so much more to, say, Spotify than just "renting music".  For £10 a month you access thousands and thousands of artists and albums and can listen to any of them without commitment.  No more buying a track or album that you get bored of shortly after.  You can try and try new music endlessly if you want.  Or alternatively listen to your favourite music whenever you want. 

"Owning" music is simply the traditional way of doing things.  On my BS5 I have ripped CDs and Spotify.  There is no advantage to owning a ripped CD compared to streaming through Spotify.  Sure, if you only "buy" or listen to a few tracks or a limited selection of music "buying" will be cheaper than £10 a month.  But for broader listening habits streaming makes perfect sense.

Before streaming I used to spend far more than £10 a month on CD's and downloads.  Paying £10 a month will save me a fortune.

(I'm not so sure that giving downloads to friends complies with the iTunes T&Cs)

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,153 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, May 12 2016 5:55 PM

As an unabashed Mac-Evangelist from back in the System 6 days (early 90s), here are my thoughts:

If this was truly Apple testing the waters, they learned pretty quickly that this would be a terrible idea for their brand. Sheesh, why they needed affirmation of said terrible-ness is beyond me.

As perhaps an old-fogie when it comes to music, I want to "own" my media, and not be beholden to an internet connection to listen to my music or watch my videos. I know I'm becoming extinct with that frame of mind, and I'm not even 40 yet. LOL.

valve1
Top 50 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,412 Posts
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Thu, May 12 2016 7:04 PM

Having read that post Im off upstairs to put on some vinyl and give the CDs a night off  Big Smile

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 12 2016 7:16 PM

Yes but Duels with streaming it's never yours! It's never a collection. At least if you spend £10 on downloads you've got them to keep. To me, thats important - it has a purpose, it has depth. I think relying on the internet even for streaming music is a bad thing. The minute that I cancelled my Netflix last February, that was it, my film playlist was gone. Same with SKY, I can't watch things that I recorded 6 years ago because I cancelled my SKY in 2012 and they disabled the box! Renting is just horrible - its shallow and in a way, its the way of the shallow modern world of today. I chose not to be a part of that!

I'm with Sal and Valve1 on this and judging by over 700 comments on MacRumors, all of their readers seem to be. 

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,739 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, May 12 2016 8:06 PM

Paul W:

Yes but Duels with streaming it's never yours! It's never a collection. At least if you spend £10 on downloads you've got them to keep. To me, thats important - it has a purpose, it has depth. I think relying on the internet even for streaming music is a bad thing. The minute that I cancelled my Netflix last February, that was it, my film playlist was gone. Same with SKY, I can't watch things that I recorded 6 years ago because I cancelled my SKY in 2012 and they disabled the box! Renting is just horrible - its shallow and in a way, its the way of the shallow modern world of today. I chose not to be a part of that!

I'm with Sal and Valve1 on this and judging by over 700 comments on MacRumors, all of their readers seem to be. 

Seems like a remarkably old fashioned "pipe and slippers" kind of attitude there.

I find I still use both. I tend to buy music I want in permanent play lists I curate myself, but there no mistaking the utility of streaming. Just recently, I watched a documentary on analogy synthesizers. Reminded me of several artists, and albums, including Switched On Bach and Silver Apples Of The Moon, then Tomita just died recently. I went to Spotify and listened to Silver Apples and Bach, and found out that not only had the Bach not aged well, to my current ear it sounded trite and uninspired, whereas my opinion about Silver Apples and Tomita hadn't changed, I found both boring and unmusical. So, ordinarily I'd have sprung for at least three albums to find out I didn't like any of them, whereas I was able to do it for my monthly fee on Spotify. And Spotify introduces me a lot of new music, new artists, and such. So to me it's not an either/or situation, nor never will be I think.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
1,681 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, May 12 2016 8:39 PM
Let me clarify. I use Spotify AND ripped CDs on my BS5. But now I only buy CDs when I know it's something I will want to keep. And I can check that out on Spotify for as long as I want before I commit. I like a physical collection of CDs, books etc as much as anyone else. But in the past that collection included many things I bought that didn't stand the test of time. There is no advantage to a ripped cd over streaming as far as I am concerned other than an emotional one which I do understand and subscribe to for selected items. But I was answering Paul's question as to why would anyone want to "rent" music.

I like to listen to as much new stuff as I can and discover and explore new artists. Spotify allows me to do that at home, in my car, at work (when everyone else has left!), at the gym. On that basis for me It's a phenomenal service for £10 a month. I suspect I still spend more on CDs than many people, I just spend a lot less than I used to.

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
295 Posts
Gold Member
Mark-N replied on Thu, May 12 2016 8:59 PM

When I went over to the Apple side over 10 years ago, they were on the cutting edge of music.  Airplay was the greatest advancement to me.  Having my music on a central computer and able to play anything on any system with an Airport Express or a first generation Apple TV was wonderful.  Apple was the only game in town for that as far as I knew.

That was then and things have changed, especially at Apple.

Apple is a business that survives by making money.  They are focusing on a new customer base now and if they decided that their iTunes download portion is not as profitable as they need it to be then I wouldn't have an issue with that.  I would hope that there is another entity out there that wants to cater to a market I am part of and fill in the gap with music that people want to own. Amazon is ok for local music, but nowhere as good as iTunes in the world-wide market.

What is disturbing to me is the growing attitude people are developing.  All things traditional has to be done away with, and if it isn't of any worth to them then the options shouldn't be available to anyone.  It's nice to see that there is still a large market for owned music libraries and higher resolution music.

At least I can play my music if my internet is down or if I am somewhere I don't have an internet connection!  It is annoying to have to validate my Apple TV purchases before I can watch them for the reason above.  This isn't the future for me.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,153 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, May 12 2016 9:11 PM

Getting back to B&O for a bit, give me an updated Beosound 5 type of device, with Network Link, local storage of my music, self contained, not even MOTS or MoodWeel or Pattern-play, just store my music and let me quickly access it with a robust search feature. I won't have to rely on my home's server backbone, an internet connection, etc... and the next thing you'll hear from me is "TAKE MY MONEY!!!" Big Smile

When I say Beosound 5 type of device, I don't necessarily mean the exact UI or form factor, just conceptually, but that being said, I really wouldn't mind an updated BS5.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
1,681 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, May 12 2016 9:17 PM
Sal:

Getting back to B&O for a bit, give me an updated Beosound 5 type of device, with Network Link, local storage of my music, self contained, not even MOTS or MoodWeel or Pattern-play, just store my music and let me quickly access it with a robust search feature. I won't have to rely on my home's server backbone, an internet connection, etc... and the next thing you'll hear from me is "TAKE MY MONEY!!!"

When I say Beosound 5 type of device, I don't necessarily mean the exact UI or form factor, just conceptually, but that being said, I really wouldn't mind an updated BS5.

Yes - thumbs up
Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
295 Posts
Gold Member
Mark-N replied on Thu, May 12 2016 9:25 PM

Sal:

Getting back to B&O for a bit, give me an updated Beosound 5 type of device, with Network Link, local storage of my music, self contained, not even MOTS or MoodWeel or Pattern-play, just store my music and let me quickly access it with a robust search feature. I won't have to rely on my home's server backbone, an internet connection, etc... and the next thing you'll hear from me is "TAKE MY MONEY!!!" Big Smile

I would jump on an offering like this from B&O also, especially if it can take any external hard drive.  I would love this for music and video, but a local dealer tells me that video libraries are a huge problem to support, so I would take B&O for music and keep iTunes for videos if that is what it takes. I wouldn't mind being free from iTunes though!

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS