rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W posted on Wed, May 11 2016 11:20 PM

Have Apple gone totally crazy? I for one like to buy a download and would never want to 'rent' my music. Apple to end iTunes downloads in 2 years time!!!

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/11/apple-ending-itunes-music-downloads/

All Replies

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, May 11 2016 11:28 PM

MAYBE, this will be the resurrection of the CD and we'll see B&O introduce CD players again. Not owning a music collection is not a nice idea! 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,260 Posts
Founder
Puncher replied on Wed, May 11 2016 11:35 PM

It's a hard lesson for some but Apple have never done anything for their customers, only ever for themselves, yet still they queue!

Ban boring signatures!

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
295 Posts
Gold Member
Mark-N replied on Wed, May 11 2016 11:53 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I never purchased much from iTunes because I wanted to keep my "mp3" collection to a minimum, but it was nice to get a song or two on the spot because you were talking about it with someone.  I hope this may give a resurgence for the CD as that is my perferred way to listen to music, ripped in AIFF.  My only music streaming was with TuneIn for the Essence and A6, but TuneIn just dropped all my stations with the Sony law suit against Radionomy. Sad  

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, May 11 2016 11:55 PM

Being honest Puncher, I realised that when the Apple Watch, BEATS sale and Apple Music launched. They make great laptops but i've had so many software issues with iOS since 8.

The thought of people streaming music and never really owning anything saddens me. Renting anything is for mugs! The minute you stop paying, it's gone!

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 12 2016 12:02 AM

Mark, I use iTunes as I tend to buy individual tracks rather than albums. Oh well, at least we've got Amazon & Google PLAY. 

I also seem to buy a CD version of all time favourite tracks. I don't know why as I rip it as both a Apple Lossless and a 320AAC but it's hard to describe, but it kind of feels nice to know that you've always got it as a back up.

This also means that WE'LL NEVER SEE LOSSLESS or 24BIT Downloads from iTunes. Makes you question how safe it is to buy a iTunes film considering it has DRM!!!

Interesting times, could this be the new life for physical media? Maybe, just maybe, you guys WILL see a new BeoSound 9000!!! Just think, no more software issues!!!!!!!!!!!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,153 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, May 12 2016 2:38 AM

Before people go off the deep in castigating Apple for one reason or another, please know that this story is coming from MacRumors, and an update to it clearly says Apple has commented it is NOT TRUE.

I never begin to believe any Apple "rumors" until Jon Gruber mentions something about it on Daring Fireball, or Jim Dalrymple on The Loop.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,093 Posts
Gold Member
We watch TVs programmes or listen to the radio and never own them, what makes music so special?

Anyone that pays a tv subscription ie Sky or a TV licence, is renting media and at a far higher price than Spotify ever charge. Apple are just accepting technical trends, just like many wet film camera companies did when digital cameras came out.

I personally haven't bought any music from ITunes for years and have just cancelled my Apple Music subscription, but they haven't become one of the richest companies by often backing the wrong horse.

Hopefully soon I'll get a setup with some Beolab 5's. I'm very happy with Spotify as a service and their general quality, but there will be times when I want the ultimate in quality. I'd love a Beosound 5 as I could do the streaming and store ripped CDs on it, but how long will they support it? Anyway I'm sure there will be somebody like Linn, that will step in and provide a decent download service.

Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,302 Posts
Gold Member

Kodak. Nokia. Apple?

who knows how soon we will look back and wonder why we accepted the way Apple lent us the media we once again wanted to physically own?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,161 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, May 12 2016 8:23 AM

I don't want to rent. I buy CDs and I buy digital music downloads if I need it fast and want to listen to it until the CD arrives or if it's simply not available on CD.

Very often I have the impression that the world does NOT know that Apple ist not the only source of hardware, software, music etc. on this planet!

Apple is pure dictatorship hidden behind a nearly perfect marketing machine. Wink

If Apple decides to only charter music... I don't care. I'll buy my CDs as long as possible and I enjoy free internetradio withouth the need to pay for spotify, deezer etc. etc.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,917 Posts
Bronze Member

Paul W:

Have Apple gone totally crazy? I for one like to buy a download and would never want to 'rent' my music. Apple to end iTunes downloads in 2 years time!!!

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/11/apple-ending-itunes-music-downloads/

It won't make any difference to me (if that is true) - never bought any of their downloads!

Streaming is the way to go - can't take it with me 'yonder' anyway ;-)

P.S. If I wanted to pay to own, I'd buy the physical media.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
213 Posts
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Thu, May 12 2016 8:59 AM

Apple stated the rumors are not true. Can't imagne actually.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,957 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

It won't make any difference to me (if that is true) - never bought any of their downloads!

Streaming is the way to go - can't take it with me 'yonder' anyway ;-)

P.S. If I wanted to pay to own, I'd buy the physical media.

MM

MM, Apple allows you to play back all your purchased music from the cloud as well, in other words : streaming for "free".

The other kind of streaming means paying a monthly fee for it, and that can sound cheap but it would cost you around 15 000 usd for an average adult life - per service - to hold on to your music - which is gone as soon as you stop paying. No more vintage sales or music to inherit. 

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, May 12 2016 12:25 PM

Films and TV series are chalk and cheese compared to music. TV series, you maybe watch once, so streaming is fine, the same with films - you rent them and then buy them if you love them.

A think music though is very music like reading. It's a passion and it's something that you do build a collection from. It's real.

Paying a subscription to 'rent' music on a streaming service horrifies me. It's renting. It's never there as yours! You're a consumer rather than a music lover. That's the difference. It's shallow, truly shallow as there's no soul in doing it that way.

If downloads were to stop, it would be a very interesting segment. CD players would probably re-appear as you'd have just two retail markets - CD/Vinyl and streaming (plus illegal downloads). 

I hate anything that you have to pay for but never own - it's pointless to me. Same with Adobe and their software, a high monthly sub - I don't deal with them anymore.

Renting and never owning anything but constantly paying out money for is just mindless. 

Probably the best idea at the moment is Amazon were you can buy the CD and you get a free download of the album - great to use whilst waiting for the CD to arrive to rip in any format that you truly want! Plus now in the UK, the CD is often cheaper than the iTunes download!!!

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS