Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 33 Replies | 1 Follower

Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean posted on Mon, Apr 18 2016 12:35 AM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post into this exciting forum.  I just acquired two B&O's 5000 and already proud of them.

The BeoMaster 5000 is Type 2005 Serie 03 serial #61668

The BeoLab 5000 is type 5303 series 03 serial #14088

The Beomaster does not seem having been serviced before however I can see two service tags on the underside of the BeoLab where one of them dates back to 74.  There is also evidence of poorly executed repairs with bunch of missing screws and cracked output transistors housings, etc...  But! buying vintage stuff has its lots of chalenges but a joy to bring them back to their glory days and this is certainly a challenge I can take anytime.

Little about me, well, I was introduced to vintage rigs last starting with the refurbish of a couple of Dual amps (2x CV40, 1 CV80).  Surprisingly, the CV40's sounded better compared to the more powerful CV80.  Given their reputation, good rigs to start with.  Of course not rated as "High End" but built to last forever.

Then I moved to Klein & Hummel ES20 and ET20 tuner and amps.  Fantastic machines despite of their circuit simplicity.  They share a lot with the amps manufactured back in the 70' but with evident clean design and quality components.  The amplifier is not very powerful however very warm and smooth, I never heard something like that before.

Here I am now with B&O where I was attracted by the design, reputation and rarity.

I would like to salute my old friend Menahem Yachad where I saw few old post and he's the one of taught me the good practices at restoring vintage rigs.  Thanks to you!

I already spotted few of you where I think they can help me reviving those magnificent machines.

I will start with the one that needs more care (BeoLab) and you will hear from me soon but this time with pictures.

If someone would like to chime in telling approximately the manuafacting year, that would be a great start!

Looking forward working with you!

Oh BTW, congrats Sorens with your BeoLab refurbish, very inspiring for my own project!  Guys, let's save them all! :)

Regards,

Beo_Jean

All Replies

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,918 Posts
Bronze Member

Welcome to the forum and congratulation to your BL/BM 5000, here is something from Frede about build years

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,500 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Apr 18 2016 11:32 AM

Double warm welcome Jean, as a member of Beoworld and as a member of the Beolab 5000 Owner Club!

Smile

Jacques

Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for this warm welcome, I wasn't expecting answers on my first day.  I'm seeing you both are quite active on the board!  And you Jacques from France where are my roots, yes I'm a french from Quebec , Montreal.  Salut!

Here a pictures of my new babies, the Beolab and Beomaster 5000 manufactured, if the serial numbers are right, both in 1967!  Hey!  I wanted pre-70... why? I don't even know myself.

OK here is the Beolab in it's current condition... poor

The etching is for the most part gone and the volume slider missing...  I'm hoping to find one.  Also missing buttons.

The back of the unit seems fine with only two broken transistor housing.

Stay tuned! 

Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member

Now, here is the BeoMaster.

In much better condition.  One the small etching is partially gone but acceptable.  I might still send it to Frede

Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry guys, I have to find how this forum works.  Can't edit my post to reduce the image size.

What is the best to use to clean PCB without leaving an oily film?

Next images will be with the Beolab case opened.

Thanks!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,500 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Apr 18 2016 8:35 PM

I for one use a Mr Proper bath when I can completely take the the PCB out.

Otherwise, ISP alcohol works fine.

Looking forward to more pictures!

Jacques

Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member

chartz:

I for one use a Mr Proper bath when I can completely take the the PCB out.

Otherwise, ISP alcohol works fine.

Looking forward to more pictures!

Thanks for the advice Jacques!

Opened the top cover today from the Beolab 5000 and not too surprised by what I found.  A mix of stain of poured water, soya sauce, busted caps, dust and trace of past poor service skills linked to a dropped heatsink.  No way it was like that from factory! 

Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean
Not Ranked
QC, Canada
33 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:17 AM

Just want to be clear!  By no means I want to compete with Soren Smile with my thread; actually I'm using it for reference.  I won't post detailed step by step like he did but certainly will post pictures of my progress, questions I may have also with my final parts list for future reference for others.

Thanks! 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,918 Posts
Bronze Member

Well, you got your pics down sized, I use a free program called PhotoScape, I crop my pics and resize them to 750 pixels wide (fits this column), I then upload them to PhotoBucket, I can then post more pics to one answer.

Your BL is not as bad as mine so lets see what we have when you finish cleaning, the lost heat sink could be because of an overheated TR, so be careful there around.

And there are no competitions here, only good people giving friendly advises :-)

Take contact with Frede, he will surely be able to help with the bad slider, the missing buttons and of course new fronts

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,500 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:00 PM
What you call soya sauce is probably only just flux resin. I like to clean that with aceton.

Søren, 750 pixels is clearly not enough. Stick out tongue

For me it is always 1500 pixels. This will be displayed correctly in the page and will open up in a new tab if you click on it for full res.

Jacques

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS