The orange ones (and the grey ones too for that matter) seem to be less prone to failure than the dreaded red ROE ones. I'd replace anyway, for peace of mind.
Peter:Thanks for your response Jacques! In replacing the 5000 µf grey filter capacitors, could I use 4700uf? It seems like they are much more common.
Thank you again Jacques for your help! That helped nicely. Here is what I found:
The bank of switches was indeed bent. Pliers and muscle, not often the most useful tools with B&O but today that's all that was needed. All the switches work as they should. Lamps all light up (for now), now just waiting for the trim pots and capacitors to arrive. I just finished recapping and wiring a set of Beovox 5700's and this will make a beautiful friend to them. Super excited.
Good job Peter, we are following
Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.
Well done Peter! We need more pictures!
When the trimpots are replaced, please adjust as per service manual. Have you downloaded the service manual yet?
Thanks! Indeed I have downloaded the service manual and I have schematic from the secret envelope. Reading ahead as I wait for my parts to arrive, I don't think I understand how to adjust these idle trimmers. My only experience has been with the BM 5000 where it was very clearly described. Where do I attach my leads? Here are the instructions:
This is what I see:
the black trim pots are the 250 ohm currently installed. This is a later model with the added 4 extra trimmers flanking the black ones that the service manual says to not touch, with repercussions being...an unknown silent future?So anyway, what does the "r/hv" stand for that is mentioned in the service manual diagram? I can't find it referenced in any of my intro to audio component repair books. Still learning every day.
Good morning......I will be following your posts closely as I too am about to embark on this same adventure, having acquired a Beomaster 4000 (2406) on ebay for a very reasonable price I thought it was the least I could do to try and bring it back to its previous best. Everything seems to work, front facia is a bit faded by direct sunlight, and on initial power up I get a series of "snap/crackle and pop, this occurs on operation of most of the switches and sliders during operation too, opening the case reveals lots of dust and dirt so the first task will be a blow down with an air duster followed by servisol 10 contact cleaner, if I can get at the switch contacts which are buried within the bowels of the machine! I have received a kit of parts from Dillen which includes a lot more pots than I was expecting, the service manual isn't too clear on the reset values for all these little devils and to complicate the task further I don't have signal generator or scope, so some of the pots may have to stay original......however I will post pics of this adventure and hopefully we can swap horror stories as we both progress
Hopefully our stories will be of continued success and not horror! I ordered replacement pots for all but I only plan on replacing the 2 bias current pots since I also lack the proper equipment for setting the others. I am on vacation In Texas right now and look forward to returning home to a mailbox full of components. Until then I'll be looking forward to some pictures!
I've just checked in my loft and I still have my old UK-spec Beomaster 4000 from many years ago (slight damage to case, electrical condition unknown, but all switches working). Please let me know if you are interested in a "donor amp" at a very reasonable cost and I can get the switches and other parts checked out!
Kind regards, Steve.
Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!