rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

grantsbeo
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
grantsbeo posted on Fri, Feb 5 2016 6:49 PM

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice, and please consider that I am an absolute novice when it comes to audio 'tech'!

I recently decided enough was enough with my crappy sound systems, and hunted the local ads for some decent speakers, read up (quickly) and ended up finding a pair of beolab penta II speakers for the princely sum of 200euros! The guy wanted a lot more, but I pointed out the knackered foams, and I had to buy them without testing(!) I've tried each one and they seem fine (except for foams). I do however need some guidance...

As the speakers have the amp integrated, do the speakers have a volume control? - when I connect my phone the volume on max is not very loud...or do I need a remote control?

Can someone explain the switches, I understand the bass control, but 'input control' and 'mode'?

Finally I intend if possible to stream music to the speakers via bluetooth, I have seen various bluetooth receivers and a 'DAC' can someone explain how I choose the right one. I also read an interesting blog post on a Fatman Mi-Tube 2 Bluetooth Hybrid Valve Amplifier this has bluetooth, and was raved about for it's sound quality - do I need an amp? [added: Apparently bluetooth will cause lower sound quality, so is a chromecast is an option...?]

If this isn't the way to go to play mp3s please suggest another solution!

All assistance welcome!

Thanks

Grant

All Replies

runekock
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Silver Member

One advantage of bluetooth is that it works with all apps. If your phone and receiver have aptX, you will get reasonable quality for music, though the delay can be a problem for videos. I don't have powered speakers, so I connected the Bluetooth receiver to my amp. I bought this cheap one, and find it OK :

http://s.aliexpress.com/aqUni6fu

Xseries
Top 150 Contributor
445 Posts
Founder

These were designed mainly to operate with other B&O products!  There is no volume control and a remote will not help unless you have a B&O TV, Beomaster 5500, 6500, 7000 or other receiver +++ .......  to connect these to.

From the user operating manual:

INPUT LEVEL switch

Set the INPUT LEVEL switch to the position required to match the Beolab Penta to the output of your receiver or TV set. If in doubt about your receiver/TV output, consult your Bang & Olufsen dealer.

POWER LINK socket: If you are using Power Link cables, set the switch to . SPEAKER LINK socket: LINE IN socket: Switch position 4 ohm 8 ohm Receiver/TV output* 40 - 40 W 40 - 80 W 80 - 80 W Switch position Pre-amplifier output 1.4 - 1.4 V 1.4 - 1.4 V 1.4 - 1.4 V 40 - 20 W 20 - 40 W 40 - 80 W * 4 ohms and 8 ohms receiver/TV output specified for 4 and 8 ohms speaker impedance.

MODE switch

Once connected to the mains supply, the Beolab Penta is in the stand-by mode. The stand-by mode is indicated by a red light on the front of the amplifier unit. The speaker switches on automatically when it receives a signal, unless, of course, the MODE switch is set to OFF. When the speaker switches on, the light on the front of the amplifier turns green.

Set the MODE switch to either AUTO, L (left) or R (right): Sockets POWER LINK Left speaker Right speaker SPEAKER LINK Receiver without built-in loudspeaker relay Receiver with built-in loudspeaker relay LINE IN MODE switch L R AUTO L / R AUTO When the signal disappears, the speaker automatically switches off, i.e. reverts to the stand-by mode, after a delay of approx. 10 seconds (MODE switch in L or R position) or approx. 3 minutes (MODE switch in AUTO position).

Bass

I for no bass equalization

II for medium bass equalization (+3dB/40 Hz)

III for maxium bass equalization (+6dB/40 Hz)

Brian

DMacri
Top 150 Contributor
United States
480 Posts
Gold Member
Just getting used to my Penta 2 speakers - and was thinking about how I should connect them to my BeoSystem 6500. I only want the Pentas to turn on when I’m in the room with the BeoSystem. Speakerlink would work because of the muting relay, but what about the Powerlink connections? Do they turn on with the Beomaster, or do they follow the speaker relay activation? The reason for the question is I use the MCL connected rooms much more than the main room where the BeoSystem is located, so I don’t want the Pentas always turning on. Thanks.

Dom

BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta 2, AV 7000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, CX-100, 3 MCL82 link rooms, A8 earphones, A3, 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
825 Posts
Bronze Member

DMacri:
Just getting used to my Penta 2 speakers - and was thinking about how I should connect them to my BeoSystem 6500. I only want the Pentas to turn on when I’m in the room with the BeoSystem. Speakerlink would work because of the muting relay, but what about the Powerlink connections? Do they turn on with the Beomaster, or do they follow the speaker relay activation? The reason for the question is I use the MCL connected rooms much more than the main room where the BeoSystem is located, so I don’t want the Pentas always turning on. Thanks.

The powerlink will not turn on if the BM6500 is not turned on "in the main room". So you can turn on a link room without the Penta's turning on.

Use the powerlink connection is my advise

/Jacob

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS