rated by 0 users
This post has 144 Replies | 2 Followers

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:41 AM

Interesting, because mine is working again! No, I didn't do anything. Mmmm. Not the motor then?

I bet it will act up again soon!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

Took apart the the motor, cleaned and lubricated it, put it in again and checked lubrication at all, connected and played a couple of CDs, no problems what so ever, found a very old and ugly CD-R, it played even that one. No failure on first CD, started at "0". Here is how.

Loosen the drive unit and tilt it sideways, measure the distance showing in the pic with a vernier caliper and make a note for assembly.

Loosen the Allen screw a couple of turns and pull of the CD support, the brass ring shown sits hard (press fit).

Unscrew the 4 screws and lift out the motor with PCB, do not loosen the 4 smaller screws holding the PCB to base plate.

Before taking of the brass ring, check the radial play. To get off the brass ring, I held the motor upside down with a finger on each side of the magnet housing, then hit on the shaft with the heavy plastic handle of a screwdriver until the brass ring was free to get 2 screwdrivers under it and then pressed it of with the screwdrivers, as I had to use all my hands and nearly all my fingers, no pic. Upon the laser label you can see the brass ring, a copper washer and nylon washer, check on which side (end) of the shaft, and how many, they are located and put them back in the same place.

I cleaned with pipe cleaners and Iso alcohol, 2 times, then applied Deoxit (Deoxit has some acid in it and may help loosen up old grease and oil rests) and let it sit for 5 Min. then 2 times with alcohol, put Liquid bearings on the shaft, and inserted it, rotated it a lot of times took it out, cleaned again, let dry, oiled the shaft again and inserted it, rotated. To check if OK, pull the magnet housing half way of the coils, let loose, it must snap fast into place, if not, keep on cleaning. Put the washers back in place magnet side, put the shaft in and the washers back brass ring side.

To get the brass ring back on I used the small tube sitting with one screw on the cooling fin, it fits perfectly over the shaft, first put on the ring and press in on or hit it with a screwdriver handle until the shaft is some Mm. out of the ring, then put the tube on the shaft and press it or hit it down until the ring is in place. Adjust the lateral play, 0.10 to 0.20 Mm., with hitting the shaft or the ring until OK. check that the motor is turning very lightly.

Put the motor back in place, if you took of cable ties, replace them, tilt the drive to the side

Place the CD support where it was before, tighten the Allen screw lightly, adjust the before measured distance, tighten the Allen screw. Assemble the deck, except for the cover, dont forget to put back the small tube, connect, check open close, check all wires run free, put on a CD and test.

Cover on, done.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

chartz:

Interesting, because mine is working again! No, I didn't do anything. Mmmm. Not the motor then?

I bet it will act up again soon!

I had same with mine, sometimes failure first CD starting at 15 sec. or so, then it got worse, and I had to start first CD a couple of times before it started, The last time I played I could play 2-3 CDs and then it stopped working, I could not open the tray, had to let it cool down for an hour or so and then I could open the tray.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

I have been playing 5 CDs now, no failures what so ever, I´m slowly convincing myself that most failures you get from these CD50s is because of a bad running disc motor, could it be that the motor pull so much amps, that other components gets affected. Will turn it of for the night and try again tomorrow.

This makes me think of. How is the laser drive motor, same dry, same hard working, maybe I should strip that one too, going to think about that.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 7:40 AM

Thanks Søren! At last photos of an almost tell-tale job!

Now I've almost gathered enough courage to do it as well!

But the pressed brass ring part is a little daunting... Especially lifting it with two screwdrivers!

Especially after that: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=20949

Jacques

Orava
Top 75 Contributor
Finland
Posts 916
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:59 AM

I did this just by pushing motorsaft against devices metalframe by fingers from motors flange (where 4 scrwes are). Uh, any sens in this?

And distance from cd mech body to discplatters UNDERside should be 4,9mm according to servicemanual.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:21 AM

Orava:

Uh, any sense in this?

Er... No!

Jacques

Orava
Top 75 Contributor
Finland
Posts 916
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 11:38 AM

chartz:

Er... No!

Not yet time to open my 50... Push down = Push down evently

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 9,647
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 12:03 PM

Do be careful with that motor, guys.
The bell housing distorts very easily and the ring magnet inside is very brittle.
There's no room for defects in there.
No whacking, no hammers. Only axial pressure on the spindle with no force put on the bell housing.
Also remember to note all washers, both the thin thrust washers and the thicker teflon ones. Note their number and positions
and put them back again accordingly.
Also note the brass ring has a chamfered edge that goes towards the motor.

Martin

Orava
Top 75 Contributor
Finland
Posts 916
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 12:13 PM

Agree with Dillen, pushing is better than hitting

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

Orava:

Agree with Dillen, pushing is better than hitting

I absolutely agree with you guys, but in my case just pushing wasn´t enough, I had to hit it to get it loose, an extractor build specially for this is ideal, I could make one but I will only use it maybe one time. But if anybody wants one I can make one its no big deal, it can be used to press on the ring again.

Orava
Top 75 Contributor
Finland
Posts 916
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 2:06 PM

Yes, it could be tough... I dont remember what I did with the tough one... Did I hit it?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 2:42 PM

Orava:

chartz:

Er... No!

Not yet time to open my 50... Push down = Push down evently

Isn't there a risk to break the PCB?

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

There is a steel plate under the PCB so no problem

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

I have had the CD50 disconnected for 16 hours now, loaded a disc, it took some 10 secs. to start and started at "0" seconds, before the motor repair it always started from cold, at 15-20 seconds.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 11:45 AM

Right then.

I'll be away for a few days  in Paris (dream on!), so I'll do it when I'm back.

Is the stator solidly fixed to the motor metal plate?

Can I push as hard as I wish?

Do you think à drop of oil would help make the brass ring slide along?

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:41 PM

Oh well let's do it before leaving I thought, otherwise this will poison my romantic journey in Paris.

Yeah! A 45-minute job. The brass ring slid along nicely, as per Orava's instructions. I only got 2 nylon washers underneath.

Only small problem, I pushed it back a little too far, but I pulled it a bit and it was fine.

Beogram now sings again everytime I want it to! Yes, even that imposible-to-play CD! About five seconds after pressing play! Smile

Thanks to all! Drinks

Jacques

Orava
Top 75 Contributor
Finland
Posts 916
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:54 PM

Poison to romantic journey? Is it impossible to be romantic with CD50 in mind....?  HmmHmm, maybe...

Have a nice trip.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

Thats good news Jacques, glad yours came of easier than mine, I used 2 hours, and was sweating because I had to hit it. I put mine back in the stack and whatever I did to it I could not provoke any failures, it played whole evening yesterday. Enjoy Paris, one of my favorite cities, ideal for a romantic journey.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 3:07 PM

Orava:

Have a nice trip.

Søren Mexico:

Enjoy Paris, one of my favorite cities, ideal for a romantic journey.

Thanks, only one hour and a half away from home at the speed of 280 km/h!

There I will also get my second 70's Beocord 5000, this time absolutely mint. 

Jacques

Orava
Top 75 Contributor
Finland
Posts 916
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 3:39 PM

Sounds like TGV

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,591
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:45 PM

Orava:

Sounds like TGV

Yes.

By the way, to readjust the CD table I made a plastic shim the exact height, thus making measurement unnecessary. 

Jacques

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,287
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:36 PM

Orava:

Poison to romantic journey? Is it impossible to be romantic with CD50 in mind....?  HmmHmm, maybe...

Yes - with a malfunctioning CD 50 in mind, it could be difficult...Wink

edwinvane
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
edwinvane replied on Fri, Oct 27 2017 7:47 PM

Hai 

I think i have the same problem, do you still have the pictures ??

it would be helpful to me 

thanks a lot 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 5,962
Bronze Member

Some pics back

Page 4 of 4 (145 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS