Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Midprice Turntable + Preamp Recommendations

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
114 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin posted on Fri, Dec 15 2017 4:39 AM

Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has a recommendation for a mid-priced turntable to hook up to a mode modern setup via the AUX input. As far as I can see there seems to be 3 types of options:

1) Very expensive units ($2000+)

2) Units designed for a disco/bar (Technics and a lot of others)

3) Get an older unit and then also get a preamp units separately

I was thinking about the 3rd and getting an older BeoGram but then that just means I need another plug for a preamp unit and it's more cabling and less tidy. Plus the MMC units are not in the shops so once you've acquired a 2nd one it's pretty expensive for a 30 year old piece of electronics!

Are there any decent turntables people would recommend for maybe a $500-1000 price point that have a built in preamp and also look like something you'd want in your house?

All Replies

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,178 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 6:03 AM

Check out Pro-Ject and Rega. They have some nice options.

Luke Spadavecchia
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
127 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Calvin, fully agree on the cost of used MMC cartridges. The modern SoundSmith SMMC range are well regarded, but import duty and postage to the UK make them an expensive proposition!

Just to make you aware that there are some really good retyping services available for these older cartridges that are not too expensive - you can search on eBay or take a recommendation from other forum users. I had my MMC4 re-tipped by a guy in Southampton for about £120 if I recall correctly and I'm very pleased with the results.

If you can find one at a good price I'd consider one of the older BeoGrams that has an internal RIAA preamp, and accept that you are going to need a re-tipping service at some point: I got away with it for 3 years until mine needed attention. I'm not an expert on B&O record decks but I have a Beogram 6500 which does have an internal RIAA preamp, but the earlier 5500 does not (I believe). 

A little off topic, but I just bought a Beomaster 1200RG radiogram with a built in Beogram 1000 deck for £40. I was surprised and delighted to find two unused and unopened original cartridges in the storage cupboard, as well as the original manuals, receipt and furniture tags in a B&O branded resealable bag, so it is possible to get lucky!

All the best

Luke

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
176 Posts
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 1:11 PM

Calvin:

2) Units designed for a disco/bar (Technics and a lot of others)

Just to clarify, if yo';re referring tothe Technics SL-1200/1210, then this was not designed as a DJ turntable. It was merely used by DJs as it has features that they appreciated. It was originally intended as a hi-fi turntable and all variants are very capable in this role!

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
114 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Sat, Jan 13 2018 3:34 AM

Thought I'd come back to this and let people know that I went for an Elipson Ω100 in the end, pictures below. It has a built in pre-amp so it plugs straight into my Century which is nice, or my Mac if I want to record a record in. Great sound, nice design and made in France, not a sweatshop in the far east.

The chap in the shop said that there were cheaper turntables with line level output that he'd happily recommend me if I was looking to spend less but that he didn't want to sell anything of lesser quality in his shop, which I thought was a decent and honest way of putting things. For now I just need to perhaps be on the look out for a maroon coloured slipmat so it matches my Century!

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
434 Posts
Gold Member
Nice setup.

If I have to use a mat, I really like leather ones. Here is a mat that might coordinate:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/490017521/turntable-mat-leather-audiophile?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=turntable%20mat%20leather&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&plkey=5e7fdf9a3f821964d8b920c49941759e6e40e647:490017521

Those ortofon OM cartridges are nice and take nicely to an upgraded stylus when the time comes.

Peter-

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,789 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jan 13 2018 2:32 PM

Looks very nice, carbon fiber arm? And looking at your shelves, vHS tapes?!?! Wow,, but I also notice your collection could very well be mine, we apparently have the same taste in movies!

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
114 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Sat, Jan 13 2018 3:18 PM

I’ve got a V8000 plugged into my BeoVision and a Mac Pro too so really the DVD player and VCR are utterly unnecessary but I quite like a physical tape if it’s a film I enjoy. Its why I got rid of a load of tapes years ago but kept a few dozen of my favourites to keep on the shelf. It’s the same reason I’d rather play music on a turntable and hold a physical album than simply open iTunes and play the track through the television.

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,789 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jan 13 2018 4:20 PM

I've gone through several iterations of video media. Long ago I abandoned VHS tape, it was a very bad copy of Blade Runner that drove me away, so I got a  Laser Disc player. Then, when I got a flat panel plasma TV, I got rid of all my LDs and replaced most of them with DVD. I've resisted replacing most of my DVDs with BluRays, only a couple of significant favorite movies, like the aforementioned Blade Runner. I find it interesting how similar our taste in movies seems to be.

I'm kind of the opposite with respect to streaming media, I've embraced it. I have all my CDs on iTunes and stream them from it, and use Spotify, Netflix, and Amazon Video. I went through a period some years ago when I got back into LPs, bought a VPI HW-19 table, with upgraded platter and clamp, and an old ADC LMF carbon fiber arm with Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge. Got tired of getting up to flip albums and the non-automatic nature of the table, went back to my BG3000 with MMC2, then kind of got to where I never played albums much even though the Beogram was more convenient.

Glad you're enjoying the table though, I do miss the physicality of LPs, the large cover art, liner notes, etc. Sometimes I get nostalgic and dig out LPs again, then revert back to streaming.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,614 Posts
Gold Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Jan 13 2018 6:07 PM
I breathed life into my Beogram 2200 that was my first B&O product. Bought it around 1980.

Had the Pick-up retipped in Germany.

Works great with Moment and preamp from SoundsHeavenly.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS