Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to see Christmas Prizes
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

BSM?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 63 Replies | 3 Followers

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
88 Posts
Bronze Member
jowus posted on Fri, Dec 1 2017 12:20 AM
I was just told today BeoSound Moment is discontinue, is it true or not? Is it worth buying it now?

All Replies

laseralex
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

I agree that voice control is the current battleground, but I think it's a mistake.

Of course it would be great to have both available, but I'll take tactile controls over voice controls.  I don't want to adjust the volume of my movie by yelling at a voice control.  When the phone rings, I prefer to pause my playlist with a physical button rather than a voice command.

The "Wheely" Essence remote is what made me jump into the B&O pool after years of admiration for the brand.  For what I paid for my first Essence + Wheely Remote I could buy enough Amazon Echo Dots to put one in every room of my house.  The tactile control of the Wheely remote versus the voice control of the Echo Dot is so much better expereince that I'm willing to spend the significant extra money on the B&O gear.

I really hope B&O recognizes that user interface is the ONLY advantage they have over the cheap streamers that are priced at 1/10 of B&O's offering.  If not, they will not last much longer.

laseralex
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Fansastic:
The EOL decision is one I really cannot understand. And lack of parts sounds like “BS”.

I design electronics for a living, and lack of parts is most certainly an issue. I suspect that supply chain for the LCD is what killed the product

LCD displays have *incredibly* short lifetimes because of the rapid changes in technology.  A few years ago I was developing a medical device with a 5" LCD touchscreen.  Because medical devices are very expensive to get certified, a long-life display was needed.  To get a 10-year availability commitment from our supplier, we ended up with a $450 screen with a minimum annual commitment of 1,000 units.  A comparable screen without any lifetime commitment would have been around $60, but could easily become unavailable in 6 months or a year.

-Alex

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,161 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Dec 7 2017 12:55 AM

laseralex:
The tactile control of the Wheely remote versus the voice control of the Echo Dot is so much better expereince

Totally agree on this. That tactile-ness was B&O's differentiating factor, and now with the Moment EOL, the only "interface" B&O has on their current (non B&O play) devices is the Wheely Remote. It is nice, don't get me wrong, but the "interactivity" of the BS9000, the Magic Open doors of the Century / 3200/400 etc. devices, the controls of the Beosound 5, and even the feel of the slab of aluminum / wood that was the Moment are all the differentiating factors now lost to LCD touchscreens on devices in our pockets.

The more I have clamored for B&O to release another true "music" system, the more I have thought that their business experts have already done the math and that ship has sailed. The small number of folks who would buy such a system would be a net loss for B&O's resource spend.

Fansastic
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
174 Posts
Bronze Member
laseralex:

I design electronics for a living, and lack of parts is most certainly an issue. I suspect that supply chain for the LCD is what killed the product

LCD displays have *incredibly* short lifetimes because of the rapid changes in technology. A few years ago I was developing a medical device with a 5" LCD touchscreen. Because medical devices are very expensive to get certified, a long-life display was needed. To get a 10-year availability commitment from our supplier, we ended up with a $450 screen with a minimum annual commitment of 1,000 units. A comparable screen without any lifetime commitment would have been around $60, but could easily become unavailable in 6 months or a year.

-Alex

Thanks for your explanation, I was completely unaware of this issue!
Page 5 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS